Tobii augments Adam Jensen’s eyes for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I spy with my little eye. That's likely the new motto of Adam Jensen, the protagonist of the upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. The game is now augmented with support for the Tobii EyeX gaze-tracking controller, letting players perform a number of actions using only their pupils. How do you like them apples, Vive?

Square-Enix and Tobii announced the new feature today and have made a bundle available offering a free copy of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with the purchase of an EyeX controller. (Tip from our own Colton Westrate: use the code "NUKEMDUKEM" at checkout for 30% off.)

In addition to Jensen's ever-increasing arsenal of weapons, players get a few new tricks courtesy of the EyeX controller. For starters, aiming becomes really easy—just look at the intended target, and press the fire button. That gives a whole new meaning to "point and shoot." Looking at the edges of the screen will pan the view, effectively netting players a few more field-of-view degrees.

Then there's "Icarus Dash," which will let players move Jensen just by looking at the intended direction. Square promises a cleaner UI, too, thanks to the EyeX's ability of highlighting certain elements only when the player is looking at them. Last but not least, when the bullets start flying, players can just scan the screen for available cover so Jensen can duck there.

• cynan

Hopefully this plays better than the description makes it sound. Based on that, I think I’d rather stick with my mouse, even if someone offered to pay me to use them.

The tech sounds interesting, especially if applied to foveated rendering, as the TR article mentions. It also sounds like it might be useful to free up hands for doing things like scrolling through documents, page turns, managing and moving multiple windowed apps around the desktop and across monitors, etc.

But to use to to dumb down FPS game play? Yuch.

• rahulahl

Are there any good ebook readers with support for this? If yes, then I would buy one today.

• Krogoth

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPuEQo-FxE[/url<]

• LostCat

Hmm. Between Division and Deus Ex I could see having a use for the thing. Don’t have the spare cash at the moment though.

• SlappedSilly

Ugh, no thanks. That said, I want this. 😀

Playing in VR, I find the use of gaze* for motion control and interaction to be the most awkward and frustrating. It’s certainly not intuitive. If you think it is, try imitating that in the real word. Just say no!

How well does this works out on a flat screen? Obviously I haven’t tried, but having to fix my gaze on one thing to shoot it sounds like it would fit that same awkward and frustrating feel.

I do want gaze tracking. I guess just not integrated as a controller the way Tobii is pitching this.

* For some loose interpretation of “gaze” meaning the direction my head is pointing, and not necessarily what I’m actually looking at.

• morphine

The integration is up to the game devs. Each game will hopefully work out the best way to integrate eye tracking.

• ztrand

I agree. I worked a short R&D contract at Tobii a few years ago. We were supposed to build an integration and some demo software for Samsung tablets.

It’s surprisingly hard to come up with *good* ways to take advantage of gaze tracking. It is easy to brainstorm ideas but very few of those actually feel good and bring something helpful to the user, most turn out to be awkward and frustrating to use after the novelty has worn off.

• Generic

Your post says no; but your gaze says yes. Yes! Oh God, YES!!

*ahem*
      That aside, I absolutely agree. Changing movement direction based on the user’s focus has never worked well in my experience. The fact that our eyes are observers, not do’ers is an advantage not a determent IMHO.

Now this might help make games more accessible to those with physical disabilities. That’d be nice.

• RoxasForTheWin

These actually look really cool, I’m tempted to get one but can’t justify it sadly

• morphine

For what it’s worth, it’s pretty affordable. With the discount code, the total comes around to $120, and it includes the game.

• RoxasForTheWin

You’re definitely right, it’s a hell of a deal right now. I don’t think I’ll use it often enough to get one but now is a VERY good time to buy