Zotac Magnus EN10 brings Pascal to Zbox mini-PCs

The launch of the latest series of mobile GeForce chips today is a big deal, and everyone's getting new product launches in as a result. That includes a plethora of performance-oriented portables that we'll be talking about soon, but it also includes VR backpacks and other small form factor PCs. Zotac, master of the mini-PCs, sent us a note to let us know that the Magnus EN10 line is coming soon, and as you have no doubt already guessed, these little black boxes will pack Nvidia's latest mobile chips.

Zotac's press release is light on details, but we know that at least two models are coming. The EN1060 and EN1070 probably include the mobile versions of the GeForce GTX 1060 and 1070 we reported on earlier this morning. Zotac says that all of the Magnus mini-PCs will be available as barebones systems (missing memory and storage), hardware-complete systems lacking only the OS, and complete systems including Windows 10.

We reviewed the Magnus EN970 late last year and found it to be powerful, compact, and blessedly silent, but felt it was a little expensive to recommend. Still, as we pointed out, the Magnus mini-PCs are quite a bit smaller than even Mini-ITX, and could be the perfect option for living-room PC gaming. The new models will include Skylake processors, and obviously will be VR-ready.

• Pitabred

I may be looking at a new media center PC with these, depending on the pricing

• DPete27

The EN970 was $800 barebones. Since the EN1070 will handily outperform it, and that the desktop GTX 1070 costs about $200 more than the GTX 970 I’d bet these will be close to a grand.

The EN970 was definitely $800 at launch, but the EN980 (with the desktop-class mobile GTX 980) is currently [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH4RS1175&cm_re=EN980-_-56-173-132-_-Product<]$1600[/url<] in a barebones config. I'm expecting these Magnuses to be larger like the 980 version and have a price tag to match.

• yogibbear

I wouldn’t classify something with a 1060 in it as a media PC…. like it can DO that, but it’s overkill. It is a gaming machine.

• Voldenuit

Just for media, or for gaming as well? If the former, do you need the dGPU? If the latter, anyone know how good (or bad) the lag is for Steam streaming?

• RAGEPRO

Steam streaming over Ethernet is nearly flawless. I wouldn’t want to play competitive Street Fighter over it, but anything short of that should be fine.

• Voldenuit

Thanks for the feedback. What about, say, competitive Overwatch? Or competitive TF2?

• RAGEPRO

Overwatch has like a 20Hz gametic anyway so I’m not sure a few extra milliseconds matters. 😛 Competitive TF2 is … even a thing? Sorry, heh, I don’t like either of those games.

[i<]edit[/i<]: by which I mean, I don't really know how much they're affected by latency, as I don't play them. More power to you if that's your thing, but I can't say how badly Steam streaming will affect the experience. I think if you're playing Overwatch competitive mode you should get up and go sit at the PC, probably.

• Voldenuit

gametick has been increased to 60 as of last patch.

EDIT: Also hit detection is run client side, so input lag still matters even if the server will arbitrate a different outcome after the fact.

• vshade

For steam streaming you also don’t need the dgpu, this 1060 should perform near a 970 so you can play games at a high detail at 1080 or 1440.