Lian-Li introduces two standing desks sans the PC case

The health benefits of standing desks are the subject of a lot of controversy, but even the staunchest proponents of standing to work agree that sometimes you just need to take a load off. A motorized desk seems like the perfect solution to let you stand when you can and sit when you need to. We showed you Lian-Li's DK-04 combination PC-case-and-motorized-desk before, but today Lian-Li is announcing two more motorized desks, this time sans the PC case.

If not for the adjustable height, the DK-12 and DK-16 would be fairly unremarkable (if solidly built) computer desks. The thick legs are built from solid steel, while the desks themselves are wood on an aluminum base. Lian-Li covers the desktop in a "leather-like waterproof surface," and provides holes at each rear corner for cable pass-through.

Of course, the real feature of these desks is the motorized height control. Electric motors, controlled by a small panel to the right of the front edge, raise and lower the desk between 27 inches and 47 inches. Users can save four customized height presets, and a small LED readout measures the current height. Lian-Li says the DK-12 can lift up to 120 kg (264 lbs), while the DK-16 can lift 80 kg (176 lbs).

The discrepancy there relates to the weight of the two desks themselves. The DK-16 is a much larger desk, a hair under seven feet long, while the DK-12 is more akin to a typical computer desk at four-and-a-half feet long. The DK-16 is slightly deeper too, at 31" versus the 28" depth of the DK-12. Both desks have a slight indentation in the front edge, and are a little over an inch thick.

Lian-Li says the desks are available now, and indeed we did find the DK-12 on Newegg for the suggested $899. The DK-16 isn't listed yet, but Lian-Li says it will be $1099.

• Mad_Dane

WTF not even a mobotray on the underside! Why on earth are they starting to make furniture?

Guess they figure one of their giant cases with wheels would fit just fine under there…

• ronch

Suddenly that $1,000+ Core i7 doesn’t seem so pricey anymore.

• ronch

Those guys must be getting bored cranking out simple metal enclosures. So yeah, make tables. Those are quite a bit more interesting.

• albundy

instead of wasting money on this, just buy gym memberships for employees.

• Laykun

Why waste time at the gym instead of doing it while you work? Not that a standing desk can replace gym time but it does help with health problems. Also if you get tired at work a lot you’ll find a standing desk is great at keeping you more awake/alert/focused, which in turn increases productivity.

• Srsly_Bro

Says the guy who has never been to a gym…

• Prestige Worldwide

Because standing at a desk won’t get you SWOLE AF

• WhatMeWorry

I’ve had a standing up desk for along time now and I’m sick and tired of it. I’m saving up to buy one of those new sit down models.

• Laykun

Sounds like you wont stand for products like these.

• JulianNott

Have had a standing desk with electric up/down like these for six months and love it. Pretty similar to these see:

[url<]https://www.ergodepot.com/desks/desks-by-brand/jarvis-desks/jarvis-adjustable-height-desk-bamboo.html[/url<]

Weird that the smaller desk can hold more weight.

I’ve been investigating standing desks, since I sit on my rear all day and it’s not good for my long-term health. The prices seem to be sort of reasonable, actually.

edit: The images’ transparent backgrounds are pretty hilarious on the blue theme, btw.

• atari030

I bought this standing desk [url<]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M339L98/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4[/url<] about a year ago and it's quite nice for the price. Not immediately adjustable like some, but I just take a break and sit when I need to. For the cost, I've been more than happy.

For $700 savings I could probably take a break.

I’m actually considering one of these: [url<]http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15721[/url<] I already have a decent 6' surface from my current desk that I could reuse by drilling a couple holes. The manual crank doesn't bother me as long as it works and doesn't sink just because I rest my hands on it.

• atari030

That seems like a most excellent option. If the one I’ve got stops meeting my needs (or sees an untimely demise) I would definitely look into one of those. Very nice!

• MOSFET

Got this one last year at work:

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S9XB8I8/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3[/url<] Not motorized but very easy to adjust and assembly is not bad.

Looks a lot like the Monoprice one, but with the desk top included. A hand crank looks like a reasonable cost-saving option, for sure.

• SomeOtherGeek

And if you are bored you can always add a motor to replace the hand crank. Would be a fun project.

• DPete27

I’ve got a good quality, L-shaped desk that’s less than 5 years old at work. Management won’t buy me a new set of office furniture, so I’m going with a [url=http://www.varidesk.com/standing-desk-pro-plus-36<]desktop unit.[/url<]

• blastdoor

My impression from my own experience and from reading articles on standing desks is that the key is actually movement, not standing per se. That is, it can be just as bad to stand still for long periods of time as it is to sit still for long periods of time.

But it’s a lot easier to move when you’re standing than when you’re sitting, and so for that reason, I think standing desks are a good thing. Just don’t stand still!

Standing still is just not something I do well. Even standing in line I tend to wander. But once I’m seated, that’s it.

• Amien

There’s this thing called Zhan Zhuang. I’d suggest looking it up. If you stand in the way prescribed by its neutral position, it is extremely good for you. There is a learning curve though…

• DPete27

Not that hard to imagine. Both desks use the same motor, which has a given amount of lifting force/capacity. The larger desktop weighs more, so you subtract the dead weight of the desktop from the total lifting capacity of the motor and you’re left with the amount of additional junk you can stack on each desk.

Ah, fair enough. I didn’t think about it that way.

• SoM

no drawers ? i need em

• RdVi

That would cause problems with lifting, say if you put too much in the drawers for the motor, or just more in one side than the other.

Just put a filing cabinet or set of bedside drawers under the desk. I guess this doesn’t help if you want a couple of floating drawers however.

• ronch

No but they come with drawer handles.