Deals of the week: a powerful, affordable notebook and more
Happy Friday, gerbils. We're back from IDF now, and we've sifted through the computer hardware deals that have stacked up in our absence to see what's hot.
- Adorama has Lenovo's Ideapad 700 15.6" notebook (80RU00FSUS) on sale for $799.99. As affordable notebooks go, this one is pretty appealing. It offers a powerful Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU with four cores and eight threads, 16GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, a 1TB hard drive, and a GeForce GTX 950M discrete graphics chip paired with a 1920x1080 display.
- HGST's Deskstar NAS 6TB hard drive is $229.99 at Newegg with promo code ESCEMFM23. HGST drives consistently rank among the most reliable in Backblaze's studies, so if you have a big chunk of data that you need to store, this drive seems like a safe place to put it.
- Corsair's Strafe Silent RGB LED keyboard is $84.99 at Best Buy. Corsair's mechanical keyboards always earn accolades when we put them under the magnifying glass, and it's rare to see one for under $100. The Cherry MX Silent switches on this particular board might help to keep noise levels down in shared offices or dorm rooms, as well.
- Fractal Design's Define R5 Blackout case is $89.99 at Newegg. This case trades Fractal's traditional black-and-white stylings for a stealthier, all-black look. The different colors shouldn't affect the Define R5's excellent noise character or its well-designed interior. A $10 rebate card could make this great case even cheaper.
- Discounts on Intel's budget processors are rare, but our favorite Core i3-6100 is $114.99 at Newegg with promo code EMCEMFK25. In budget builds, every dollar helps, and $10 off this fast, four-thread CPU certainly helps the bottom line.
- It's hard to believe that the most powerful Radeon used to demand $650 when XFX's Radeon R9 Fury X is just $379.99 at Newegg. Aside from the sticker on the radiator fan hub, this card uses the same reference design as any other Fury X. While the GeForce GTX 1070 is probably the best thing going in this price range, AMD's card is still the most powerful thing you can pair with a high-resolution FreeSync monitor.
There's a chance you're looking for a deal on something we didn't feature here. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.
Those are the best deals we could find this week. If you come across a gem that we missed, be sure to share your findings with other TR readers in the comments.