Upcoming Samsung CF791 is a high-contrast FreeSync ultrawide

Samsung posted a video to its YouTube channel recently describing the company's monitor lineup for late 2016. The video talks about a lot of monitors, but of particular note is the upcoming CF791 curved monitor. This 34-inch FreeSync display comes in 3440×1440 resolution, and boasts 3000:1 static contrast thanks to its VA LCD panel.

Samsung says VA panels offer superior contrast and reduced light leakage versus IPS panels, particularly in the corners of curved displays. The CF791's VA panel is sharply curved at 1500R, which according to Samsung makes this display "the most curved in the world." The new monitor uses uses quantum-dot technology, and Samsung says that move allows it to reproduce 125% of the sRGB gamut. Samsung implements AMD's FreeSync variable-refresh-rate technology, too. The CF791 supports FreeSync at up to 100Hz over both DisplayPort and HDMI.

Besides the technical specs, the CF791 impresses in other ways. It supports picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture modes, allowing users to display images from two inputs simultaneously. Samsung says the monitor is "bezel-less" on three sides (though it's clearly not) for less interference in multi-monitor use. The CF791 also includes special snap-on plates to hide wiring and preserve the monitor's clean appearance. Alternatively, the standard base can be removed to reveal a VESA mount. Samsung includes a USB hub, as well as 7W stereo speakers, and a 3.5mm jack for headphones.

There's no price mentioned in Samsung's video, but the company says it will be available worldwide in the second half of this year.

• CheetoPet

Was she in ‘Children of the Corn’?

• I.S.T.

So, what the **** is quantum dot technology?

• Airmantharp

Google is your friend.

• GrimDanfango

I hadn’t realised, but a look on tftcentral’s news page seems to suggest that VA panels are making quite the comeback this year.

Personally, I really don’t want to go the curved route. I’m eagerly awaiting the as-yet-in-development 31.5″ 2560×1440 144hz AU Optronics AMVA panel – mentioned in this post:
    [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#auo_panels_june[/url<] Packaged with G-sync, *that* would be my definitive perfect monitor until OLED gets its act together (in 5-10 more years probably 🙂

• Airmantharp

Dude…

Well, I probably wouldn’t be able to afford it, but that would be ideal over the 27″ Acer Predator I’m using, my older 1600p ZR30w makes it look small :D.

• DPete27

Ugh, Is curve radius becoming another “spec race” item?
    I mean…they’re even curving 21.5″ monitors now? Why?

• GrimDanfango

It’s a spec race with an interesting end point… there will come a point soon enough when these screens become so advanced, you will no longer be able to fit your head inside them. By my reckoning, around the “100R” point.

• Firestarter

I don’t understand curved screens at all, it only ever makes sense if the content is made for a curved screen as well, which it ISN’T. And it’s not as if there’s a really good reason to start making curved screens now and start producing content for it / changing the game engines to accommodate for curved screens

• psuedonymous

Be wary of specs. Samsung’s previous 21:9 VA panel curved ultrawide (the S34E790C) ALSO boasted a 3000:1 contrast ratio. It did not deliver it, and was infamous for unusually bright black levels.

• Airmantharp

No one should buy this without a review first. VA promises great shadow contrast, but manufacturers should never be taken at their word.

• Firestarter

I don’t think I’d buy another monitor before tftcentral.co.uk looks at it, they seem to be the best at figuring out every nitty gritty detail about how a monitor is good or bad for your use case

• GrimDanfango

I second that. Their reviews are fantastically detailed, deep, and very well standardized. Not only can you get an idea of how it performs in all regards, you can easily compare each factor with any other recently reviewed screens on the site.
          It’s a shame they don’t seem to have the resources to review more screens, but at least if a screen *is* reviewed on there, there’s usually a good reason – it’s a noteworthy new screen for one reason or another. Generally, the best ones do get a review on there sooner or later.

Incidentally, they also maintain a pretty exhausive database of the precise panel model and manufacturer used in most monitors on the market… it’s surprising just how often a raft of new screens from a range of manufacturers will all feature the exact same physical panel 🙂

• SixIron
      • SixIron

I own the S34E790C. My usage and observations of it does not match your comments at all.

• GrimDanfango

Does your usage and observations include measuring contrast ratio? I get the feeling psuedonymous wasn’t talking subjective here, but measured values.
        From a quick glance, it seems like a couple of different reviews measured the contrast ratio to be nearer 2000:1 than the claimed 3000:1

That still seems reasonable, given that it’s still at least double the majority of TN and IPS panels, but it’s admittedly not spectacular for a VA panel. I’m sure I’ve read about some creeping up towards the 4000 and 5000 mark in recent times.

• rudimentary_lathe

Does Samsung have a good FreeSync monitor in the 27″, 1440p or 4K range with VA, IPS, or PLS panel? That’s the sweet spot for me and there aren’t a lot of options out there. I’ve been happy with Samsung monitors in the past.

• DPete27

Watch the embedded video. Or visit their website. The answer is yes.

• HisDivineOrder

Too bad about that lack of Gsync. They’d have sold a lot more of them.

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, we all cry and think that freesync will “win”, but the cold reality is that Nvidia has like 80% of the consumer graphics card market and that gives it a pretty massive dick to swing around.

• Airmantharp

Assume that there might be a G-Sync version coming, and hopefully Nvidia is working on the cost of adding their module.

(and yes, hopefully they’ll support FreeSync soon)

• EndlessWaves

65%

[url=https://techreport.com/news/30551/amd-claws-back-some-discrete-gpu-market-share<]and falling[/url<].

• Firestarter

57% and rising according to Steam

[url<]http://i.imgur.com/vsAXpHU.png[/url<] [url<]http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey[/url<] edit: heh it still says ATI..

• EndlessWaves

Steam’s numbers are laughably bad, you just have to look at the breakdown:
            [url<]http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/[/url<] Apparently nobody used steam with an R9 380 or 390 before June this year, and then the number of people using them doubled in July.

• kamikaziechameleon

I know our biggest problems with monitors have to do with bandwidth for connections at this point. But a 5K ultrawide would be sweet. Where the verticle is same as a 4K vert but the width is another K of pixles in there. But the bandwidth for a display like that is not available.

• EndlessWaves

5120×2160.

The DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 ports on Polaris/Pascal can handle it so the technology is very close to being in place.

• Xajel

I’ve been waiting for an ultra wide screen with this resolution for a while, I think it will still need some time… now give me one with 100-120Hz and HDR ( real native 10bit ), either 29″ or 35″ or inbetween

• Firestarter

[quote<]the most curved in the world[/quote<] I do not want this

• Hsldn

Is 100hz a limit of display port?

• ColeLT1

3840 x 2160 (vs 3440×1440) can do 120 Hz without display stream compression, I would say it is not the bandwidth of the cable, but could be some other limitation.

[url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Resolution_and_frame_rate_support_for_DisplayPort[/url<]

• EndlessWaves

1.3/1.4 are very new though, so the monitor side electronics may not be available yet.

• DPete27

Very excited how many of the monitors in that video are FreeSync. Your move nVidia.

• odizzido

Nvidia cannot hear you over the sound of cash registers. Not that I’d ever buy gsync stuff as long as they don’t support open standards.

• DPete27

Perhaps their cash registers aren’t ringing as loudly as they used to. Seeing as [url=https://techreport.com/news/30551/amd-claws-back-some-discrete-gpu-market-share<]AMD is gaining market share in the discrete graphics market.[/url<] The consumers are speaking with their wallets, and it's a joyous chorus!!

• DPete27

Does all that mean it’s HDR also?

• Sargent Duck

Want.

• biffzinker

Need?

• Generic

Difference?

• Ari Atari

Regret…

• iBend

Repeat

• Duct Tape Dude

This is finally it! This is the one I’ve been eyeing! Freesync ultrawide 1440p 100Hz VA curved buzzword kitchen sink!

Please be less than $1k and please have solid reviews…

• meerkt

Won’t VA’s poor viewing angles be a problem on a 2.35 ratio 34″ monitor? Curve notwithstanding.

• Duct Tape Dude

Yup, but not as poor as TN and without the bright corners of IPS. Everything has tradeoffs and I’m hoping VA is the best one.

IPS is no good for ultrawide. LG 34UM67 user here and I would not recommend it, it’s almost as bad as TN, only the distracting bright glow is at the sides rather than at the bottom.

VA’s lack of corner glow is a seriously appealing factor, as is the insanely deep black level. The only downside that I’ve read is that transitions from black to dark grey are slow.

• Airmantharp

The curved ones aren’t too bad, that I’ve seen in person. But they’re way too wide for me, for the purpose of gaming.

(for work, I’d happily stack a couple of 1440p panels!)

• meerkt

You mean “LCD is no good for ultawide”? 🙂

Though, there are IPSes without IPS glow.

Contrasted with VA, on the two VAs I’ve used extensively (TVs with AUO panels) the poor angles combined with my close sitting distance meant that the blacks were poor on most of the screen. But not having used IPS, I don’t know if it’s worse.
            And yes, some pixel transitions in the dark ranges were very poor. But I think proper overdriving can fix that, based on some VA measurements I recall seeing at TFT Central.

The thing is, IPS corner glow gets worse the more extreme the angle and VA loses contrast the more extreme the angle.

Typical IPS curvature: R3800
            Typical VA curvature: R2000

Basically, curvature fixes the extreme viewing angles you get at the far edges of an ultrawide, only compared to the curved VA screens, IPS screens are flat.

• GrimDanfango

[quote<]Though, there are IPSes without IPS glow.[/quote<] Are there? There are certainly IPSs without backlight bleed, but I was under the impression that "IPS glow" was pretty much inherent to the technology. Any examples of one that doesn't have it? (I'm genuinely intrigued)

• meerkt

For example, this one (uses PLS)
            [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/eizo_ev2736w.htm#viewing[/url<] And on some it's not as bad as others: [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2414h.htm#viewing[/url<] [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/eizo_ev2450.htm#viewing[/url<]

• GrimDanfango

Hmm, well that certainly is interesting to see. Good to know it’s not necessarily a given… I’ll keep my eye on IPS reviews a bit more from now on.

• Airmantharp

Over-driving means input lag…

• meerkt

Practically all modern LCDs use overdrive, no?

• Airmantharp

Most have the feature, but you don’t have to use it if it limits input lag.

• meerkt

Anything to read on topic? I’ve never seen input lag mentioned as tied to overdrive modes.

• Airmantharp

Not that I’ve looked at in years.

However, the basics of the technology include buffering the incoming frame while the cells are ‘precharged’, and that creates a delay, which applies to input lag when input lag is defined as the time between an input being made by the user and the output being presented.

Mostly, overdrive can reduce or materially eliminate ‘ghosting’, but to do so it must have information about the incoming frame.

• meerkt

I thought it’s just over-volting the initial transition phase?

In reviews that do lag testing, I don’t recall ever seeing a mention of disabling overdrive for it. So I assume they test with typical settings. If so, and if there’s extra lag due to overdrive, it doesn’t seem to be a big factor as many monitors have <10ms or even <5ms of latency including pixel response time.

For example:
            [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell_u2417h/lag_2.jpg[/url<]

• GrimDanfango

Surely by definition, any monitor needs to have “information about the incoming frame”, regardless of overdrive… how would it know what to display otherwise?

• Airmantharp

Compare the ‘put these bits through to the DACs’ to ‘analyze the difference between these new bits and those old bits and hold the new bits till that difference can be successfully sent to the precharging system’

The amount of lag may be negligible, but it was particularly prevalent in VA panels that required a lot of work to get smooth transitions without ghosting.

It’s also not much of an issue for most types of content, or even most games, which otherwise benefit from the lower ghosting.

• RAGEPRO

[url=http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_bl3200pt/viewing_angles_small.png<]VA doesn't have poor viewing angles.[/url<]

• meerkt

Try dark colors.

• meerkt

Downvoters are welcome to come see my VA. 🙂

• cygnus1

I thought VA was a lot better than TN and almost as good as IPS?

• Demetri

Not necessarily. My only VA experience is with the Eizo FG2421. In that case I would say no, the angles are worse than TN, because at least with TN you shouldn’t get any color shift as long as you’re sitting completely centered. With the Eizo VA, I was seeing pale edges even at dead center. The shift was not as intense with the Eizo VA compared with TN, but it was always there.

• GrimDanfango

Might be worth bearing in mind – the FG2421 used a panel manufactured by Sharp – which seemingly is about the only time they’ve ever ventured into VA-type panels. The review on tftcentral seems to suggest that the viewing angles were more typical of older VA panels.

The majority of current VA panels are made by AU Optronics, Samsung, or LG… and I think in general, all their modern-day VA technologies have pretty decent viewing angles.

• Demetri

Good to know. Maybe I’ll try VA again if I don’t find an IPS that works for me.

• GrimDanfango

Oddly, considering how finicky I generally am about colour accuracy and such, I gave up on IPS, and have actually been content with the surprisingly good TN panel in the Asus pg278q. I *need* G-sync ever since I tried it… it was an SSD moment for me, no going back 🙂 – but I simply cannot stand the IPS-glow effect exhibited by every IPS I’ve tried. Especially on anything 24″ and up, it drives me nuts.

I’ve been waiting for the day I could replace my ~10-year-old 24″ Eizo S2431w VA screen with something that combined its beautiful deep blacks and smooth gradients with all the benefits of a modern gaming monitor. The day is almost at hand!

• Pettytheft

VA’s weakness has always been response times. They have the best blacks with weaker color than IPS.

Aye. Slow transitions from black to dark greys, like 40ms slow!

Before you worry, the 100Hz IPS G-Sync screens also have slow transitions from black to dark greys (only 25ms though) and people are happy to review them as ‘outstanding’ and ‘flawless’ gaming monitors.

• Tirk

VA has more color shift (more of a gradient compression than a color shift) than IPS but it is still very good despite the slight shift you get, no where close to what a TN panel would have. I pretty much have a Samsung panel that is exactly this but without freesync and the color and contrast is much better than most IPS panels and prefer using it over an IPS ASUS freesync panel that I have on a different system.

• EndlessWaves

It’s not sRGB though.

Do you want to deal with the Neon green grass and overly red faces that are going to show up in every non-colour aware application (most of them)?

I guess they’re going to start pushing them in conjunction with TV HDR but the last attempt to introduce wide gamut backlights ~10 years ago was a failure.

With software adapting for Higher DPI screens and scaling maybe this is time for another change that requires widespread software support?

• Spunjji

I’d hope so. Samsung monitors tend to have decent sRGB modes, though, which solve the problem for now.