Corsair backlit keyboard lineup gets new Lux models

Corsair's lineup of mechanical gaming keyboards is no stranger to TR. Both the K70 RGB Rapidfire and the older K70 Vengeance models received our Editor's Choice awards. The company isn't one to just sit back and rest on its laurels, though, and has released a new set of backlit clickers bearing the "Lux" nametag.

K70 Lux RGB

The Lux keyboards are mostly an evolution from the previous "RGB" models—even if they're not a radical departure—and are all based on Cherry MX switches. The font size on the keys has been increased in order to let the blinkenlights shine through a little more for effect. The all-aluminum frame returns, providing typers and gamers both with a stable platform with little to no flex. On the "RGB" models, the LED lights are controllable on a per-key basis using Corsair's CUE software.

K65 Lux RGB

There's also 104-key rollover with anti-ghosting on tap, as well as a USB passthrough port and a detachable wrist rest. The full-sized K70 variants include a volume scroll wheel and multimedia controls above the numerical pad. The K65 Lux RGB is a tenkeyless design without the aforementioned controls, but still offers volume and mute keys.

K70 Lux with blue lighting

Corsair offers a choice of keyboard for pretty much everyone. The most affordable choices are the K70 Lux keyboards with single-color blue or red backlighting, and go for $120. The red-colored version is available with a choice of Cherry MX Red, Brown, or Blue switches, while the blue-lit model comes with MX Red switches only.

Stepping up the ladder, we find the K65 Lux RGB model. This tenkeyless keyboard comes with Cherry MX Red and per-key RGB-LED backlighting. Corsair sells it for $130. Finally, the K70 Lux RGB is a full-sized affair with multimedia keys and a volume scroll wheel. It can be yours for $170, fitted with either MX Red, Brown, or Blue switches.

• Brainsan

The monochrome red and blue light LUX keyboard LEDs are individually addressable if you install the Corsair Que app. Of course you can’t change the color, but you have full intensity control of each key’s LED individually.

• d0g_p00p

I really wish Corsair would use a standard bottom row on their keyboards so you can easily swap out the keycaps.

• Redundant

Still waiting for full circumference, full length, programmable RGB lighting of the cord, then I’m all in.

• kamikaziechameleon

Would really love these guys to add a green switch to the lineup.

• exilon

Pretty sure the K65 Lux has been a Best Buy exclusive thing.

• TwoEars

I’m still rockin the logitech G19. The little display is awesome for keeping track of gpu load, cpu load, vram used etc. No on screen hud for me.

• NovusBogus

I have a G15, and like it. In my case I use the display mostly for the clock, since it’s nice to know if it’s getting too late on a weeknight. The orange backlight is much more pleasant than the blue/green stuff that most vendors like to use.

• Srsly_Bro

Do you have a specific need where you need to monitor the utilization of components? I remember 10 years ago when you didn’t have much RAM, a slower CPU and GPU when it mattered.

• anotherengineer

Wake me up when Corsair or CoolerMaster or any other brand available in the big e-tailer stores come with Cherry Clears.

• JosiahBradley

All these mechanical keyboards keep adding features. All I want is a standard keyboard with mechanical switches for a reasonable price. I don’t want any features at all. I even want it to be made of cheap beige plastic. Why was this so easy for keyboards back in the 90s?

• morphine

[url<]https://elitekeyboards.com/[/url<]

• anotherengineer

Filco

[url<]http://www.ncix.com/detail/filco-majestouch-2-cherry-mx-87-70716.htm[/url<] (cnd prices) [url<]http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=773[/url<] [url<]http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/[/url<]

• Captain Ned

1391401

FleaBay.

• tsk

Agreed, that’s why I got the turtle beach impact 500.

• Stochastic

Yes, I especially second the “reasonable price” part. You shouldn’t have to spend more than $100 to get a quality mechanical keyboard, and you should be able to get something decent for not much more than $50 in my opinion. How much do these cost to manufacture?

I can’t upvote this enough!

I’m not even 100% convinced gamers really benefit from mechanicals, other than the fact they last longer than rubber-dome keyboards, so they feel “smooth” for longer.

If I were buying a keyboard solely for gaming, scissor switch (laptop-style) keyboard with almost no travel would be my preference, and I say that on my MX Brown gaming keyboard with the MX Reds relegated to the “ugh, I’m not gaming on [i<]that....[/i<]" pile.

• slowriot

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/Coolermaster-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US-Storm-QuickFire-Rapid/dp/B0068INSUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472411993&sr=8-1&keywords=cooler+master+rapid[/url<] Amazing how that wasn't remotely hard to find at all. It's almost as if there are actually tons of very boring, very straightforward keyboard models. OH THAT'S RIGHT THERE IS All you're actually doing is complaining about TR's News coverage. Not about the state of the market itself, which has dozens and dozens of models available that are like you want.