The Tech Report is looking for news writers

It's that time again. The Tech Report is looking for fresh news writers to help shape our broad coverage of the PC hardware and wider technology industries. If you're passionate about building, maintaining, or creating and gaming with PCs, and you want to share your passion with the world, our news desk is just the place to do it.

Interested applicants must have an ironclad command of the English language. They should also be ready to quickly digest the raw material of a new product or breaking event and turn it into a well-structured story with clean copy. We appreciate folks who are motivated to learn under fire, as well. We try to move fast at The Tech Report—our news articles often go from genesis to front-page post in under an hour. You should be comfortable turning out high-quality work under that kind of time pressure. As many TR alums will attest, you'll become a better writer thanks to our infamously high-powered editorial microscope and our sharp-eyed commenters, too.

News writers will operate as part-time contractors for us. You should plan to spend about two to two-and-a-half hours per day writing for TR. We're hoping to fill out our mid-day and late-afternoon coverage, but you should apply regardless of the part of the day in which you're available. A flexible schedule for coverage of the occasional major live event like an Apple keynote is a plus, but not a requirement.

To apply, send an email to jobs@techreport.com with a short introduction telling us why you'd be a good fit for this role. You should also include a résumé and your take on a TR-style news post about this product, with images included (best composed in Microsoft Word or the rich text editor of your choice). We check for originality, so make that post yours. Your work will not be published on the site.

Because of the volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant individually. If we think you're a good fit for the job, we'll follow up with you to arrange an interview and talk next steps. Thank you in advance for applying.

• taisserroots

Is this application open to Great Britain?
    I will spend 6 years in Medical school and this seems like a great job opportunity if I could apply; especially considering that an American late-afternoon is my evening.

• Jeff Kampman

We work with writers around the world. Feel free to apply.

• modulusshift

oh my gosh, the promo shot of that case is horrifying. It’s already got that horrifying angle in the front, and then they take the picture from an angle that feels like a fisheye lens. I’m going to need to lie down from this headache.

• lycium

*Gets ready for massive downvoting*

> Interested applicants must have an ironclad command of the English language.

How can one’s command of the English language can be ironclad? As in, well defended against attack.

> You should be comfortable turning out high-quality work under that kind of time pressure.

Turning out? Surely this should be “churning out”, or “turning in”. A turnout is an audience.

> As many TR alums will attest,

Alumni.

> you’ll become a better writer thanks to our infamously high-powered editorial microscope and our sharp-eyed commenters, too.

It’s really infamous, as in having a poor reputation?

• Klimax

I think you just demonstrated why they want ironclad command of English from applicants…

• Redocbew

I suppose if I called you a “stick in the mud” you’d complain about your present location lacking small fragments of wood embedded in earth saturated by dihydrogen monoxide.

• lycium

I suppose you’d like to believe that someone being able to write well means they’re boring and humourless… sure, of course they are ๐Ÿ™‚

• Redocbew

Le gasp! Improper spacing around an ellipsis!

• modulusshift

I don’t think poor reputation is correct, more a reputation for being “bad”, from the writer’s perspective. And that “bad”-ness is being hypercritical.

• EndlessWaves

Go to your favour US news aggregator and type in those words and phrases. Turning out in that sense and Alums are both in common usage.

As pointed out by modulusshift this post is aimed at writers, so something that catches all mistakes may be infamous because it’s embarrassing.

As for ironclad, using your understanding of the metaphor, something is well defended if most of the possible attacks on it don’t work. That’s an easy concept to apply to language use.

• tipoo

This is a horrible way to say you want a job!

• lycium

Good thing that’s not what I was saying ๐Ÿ™‚

• tipoo

I must say, this is the most unorthodox job interview I’ve ever given!

• ludi

You submitted your application, right?

• lycium

Negative, I’m really not looking for a job. Actually some years ago I offered to write for TR for free (I write OpenCL and CUDA 3D rendering and fractal applications), they weren’t interested tho. Oh well ๐Ÿ™‚

• chuckula

HA I UPTHUMBED JUST TO SPITE YOU!

SPITE SPITE SPITE!

• lycium

It’s been quite an upvote and downvote ride, little sprinklings of ad hominem here and there… good times!

• Crackhead Johny

Actually “turning out” is a pimping term.
      The “pimp hand” is the hand without rings (or with small rings). This is what you slap writers with when they hold out on your or do not write the story in a way that pleases the customer.
      The “ring hand” is of course the hand with a large weight of big gold rings on its fingers. This is what you slap the writer with when they have not learned from the pimp hand.

When the average school student knows nothing about pimping.. what is the world coming to?

• chuckula

Normally I’d question you.

But then I saw your user name.

I’ll go with it.

• Laykun

Can I just get paid for my writings in the comments sections? Thanks.

• Krogoth

Hopefully somebody impressive will step up to the plate.

• drfish

I see what you did there.

• Luminair

> You should also include a rรฉsumรฉ and your take on a TR-style news post about this product [url<]http://www.x2products.com/media/news/x2-introduces-the-empire-aluminum-chassis/[/url<] if I were you I'd hire people who are the opposite of the people interested in writing about that "product"

• Captain Ned

Why do you think it was the test?

• TwoEars

So – how much do I have to pay for this privilege?

• Raymond Page

Jeff forgot to mention that you get to see the prowess of a man wielding the world’s smallest article-butchering chainsaw everyday!
    My writing greatly improved under that editorial microscope and this was an astounding group to work with. Like Captain Ned say’s “If only it weren’t for this thing called a ‘day job’.”, I’d be back at it.

Aw, bummer that you’re giving it up.

[quote<]say's[/quote<]

• gerryg

This is a six-figure job, right? I couldn’t do it for anything less.

• chuckula

Since we of course count the salary in pennies for precision, the answer is yes.

• Srsly_Bro

Chuck says “we.” That seems to imply he’s associated with TR more than just the resident Intel PR person. Is that true?

• sweatshopking

• chuckula

There’s no sense in feeling bitter since I muscled you out.

• Srsly_Bro

Arm wrestled or bicep curl contest?

• Srsly_Bro

Thanks, bro. I was concerned.

• Redocbew

Best SSK post ever.

• ronch

Short. To the point. Most of all, NO CAPS LOCK. Yep, best ever.

• Fieryphoenix

Absolutely, you can be expect to make at least 100,000ยข a year!

• iBend

not bad… if all you need to do is write 1 article each day…
        with a chance of.. ehem.. getting review unit and keep it… (freebies..)

• Captain Ned

If only it weren’t for this thing called a “day job”. Meh.

time to retire!

• Captain Ned

Yeah, right. Shipped daughter off to freshman year in college 2 weeks ago.

You may never retire then.

• albundy

my condolences to your bank account. hopefully your kids get great jobs and hopefully pay you back a little bit.

• Captain Ned

Just the one, and between what I’ve put away and what her grandfather has generously gifted her over the years, we’ve got 4 years at her current college covered. It’s any potential grad school thing that makes my wallet cry.

The best gift I ever received was a college degree with no associated student debt. It allowed me the space to complete the “growing up” that began in college but didn’t really set in until several years later. I really want to pass that same gift on to my daughter as I know that she will need several years post-college to complete that process.

My earliest full-pension date is 10 years down the road. My goal is to have the daughter through college and out of the house for the last time by then so that the wife & I have options.

• Waco

Yep, those pesky things do get in the way. I guess if you lived on the other side of the world you might be able to get away as a TR News Editor by (your) night, and regular guy by day! Behold…Bat Intern!

• anotherengineer

Indeed, and 2 little children, and a wife, and 2 old falling apart vehicles and an old home under renos and repairs, and the list goes on and on………………

• ronch

Day job?? My goodness. What’s that???

Heh. I feel better now.

• NTMBK

“purportedly”. There we go, hire me

True story: the first time I had the chance to use “[url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/purported<]purportedly[/url<]", the draft I submitted said "[url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alleged<]allegedly[/url<]" because I was trying to avoid the word. It got changed, because "purportedly" was the correct word. There's a differences between purported, reported, alleged, supposed, and so on, and you should use the correct word. If I had a nickel every time someone typed the phrase "words have meaning" during my stint, I'd probably get a Snickers bar or something. I mean, I wouldn't be rich. I don't exactly regret giving up working for TR, because the path I chose has been super cool, but I wish I could still do it. I wish it so hard. :-/

• gerryg

They would need to hire somebody else to translate your articles for social media…
      _______________
      Currently listening to:
      [i<]Word Crimes[/i<], by Weird Al

• ThatStupidCat

So you’re purportedly applying for the job?

• NTMBK

Seriously though- if you folks want a UK correspondent to go pester ARM and Imagination, get in touch.

• LostCat

You’ll get a blank check every week! Not signed or anything!

• TwistedKestrel

[quote<]As many TR alums will attest, you'll become a better writer thanks to our infamously high-powered editorial microscope and our sharp-eyed commenters, too.[/quote<] Oh, you.

Little-known fact: the guy in the lower-right corner of the screen is Bruno. He still reads newspapers.

• LostCat