Apple will hold its next special event September 7

Apple sent out a flurry of invitations to the tech press today that heralds another in a long line of its special events. This latest event will be held September 7. The tagline this time around—"See you on the 7th"—almost certainly means we'll be introduced to a new generation of iPhone hardware early next month. The company is once again renting out San Francisco's expansive Bill Graham Civic Auditorium to host this latest extravganza, another hint we're in for something big.

On top of the possible introduction of next-generation iPhones with more-advanced camera hardware inside, Apple might also use this event to introduce the next-generation Apple Watch and a long-overdue update to its MacBook family of notebook PCs. Nothing is for certain yet, though, so hang on to your Smart Covers and join us next Wednesday as we learn what Apple has in store.

• End User

A Kaby Lake Mac mini (with multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports) would be really nice on the 7th but Mac updates will be announce via a media briefing at a later date.

• tipoo

And why the hell AMD and Nvidia aren’t at the forefront pushing inexpensive Thunderbolt 3 eGPU boxes to sell more dGPUs is beyond me.

• deathBOB

I’m counting on wireless EarPods. Nothing else makes sense. Of course Apple I/O doesn’t always make sense.

• tipoo

I hope they take that chance to also update the sound. They’re not actually bad, and I like them for the office so I can hear things around me, but they do have quite the veil/vaseline filter on them that blurs together singers and close notes, and are slow to resolve detail.

• confusedpenguin

A new iMac would be nice too. Although there isn’t much to improve on it. Maybe a decent GPU for once would be nice for smooth framerates on WoW without having to lower the resolution from 5K.

• blastdoor

Two things I’d like to see in an improved iMac:

1. An option for a CPU with >4 cores (necessary because the Mac Pro is so lame)
      2. Better fusion drive options

• NTMBK

I would accept USB-C headphones. If it’s proprietary Apple BS, they can go jump in a lake.

• tipoo

The funniest thing about it would be, there are no Macs with lightning ports, nor would it make sense to introduce them. So dongles to use regular headphones with the iPhone, and dongles to use your iPhone headphones with your Macbook…

Oi.

They better use the space for something more compelling than a second fake speaker grille…

Likely the iPhone7 launch which will make some minor changes to the camera and ditch the headphone jack.

I’m expecting a lot of backlash from Apple users. A lot of people moved to iPhones from their iPod and have an Apple instead of an Android specifically because of their iTunes library investment.

Apple is taking that vast market segment of music-loving loyal fans and pissing on them from a great height.

• blastdoor

I agree that if Apple doesn’t handle this well there could be a backlash. I think “not handling it well” would mean a failure to include good wireless earphones with the new iPhones.

The immediate form of the backlash would be people holding on to their existing iPhones longer. If a drop in iPhone sales encourages Apple to take corrective action (include *good* wireless earphones for free with the new iPhones and/or give discounts to new iPhone buyers on good wireless earphones), then I think people will stick with the platform.

But if Apple refuses to budge then it will encourage people to actively look for alternatives. From my perspective the alternatives aren’t great, but maybe that’s just because I haven’t looked hard enough. I could imagine many Apple users are in the same boat. It’s always a mistake to give your customers (or employees, or romantic partner, etc) reasons to explore their options….

• Vrock

What gloriously over-hyped mass consumer product will legions of idiots line up for this year? Find out on September 7th!

• Neutronbeam

The iTouchmyself…and you don’t really want to know what it does. ;->

• tipoo

I kind of want to just skip the months of incoming hyperbole on both sides about the damned headphone jack. I’m sure it’ll make election year hyperbole look tame.

• Techgoudy

Hey! I’m not an idiot I just need happen to need a new iPhone this year to upgrade from a 5s!

• bfar

Ouch! They just got a €13 billion back-tax bill from the eu comission.

• blastdoor

Yeah… I’m not sure what to think of that.

On the one hand, I do think that the corporate tax evasion schemes should be shut down.

On the other hand, doing it retroactively seems unwise. Somebody correct me if I’m misunderstanding, but my impression is that Apple did nothing illegal — they just took advantage of flaws in the law. If true, then the EU (and other countries) should just fix the flaws and apply the fixed law moving forward. Demanding that a company (or individual) pay taxes from the past based on a law that didn’t exist at that time seems like a bad idea.

• Zizy

The issue here in a nutshell is: EU doesn’t allow states to help companies. Here, Ireland has a special tax deal with Apple where Apple doesn’t pay taxes. EU considers this illegal. So, EU demands *Ireland* has to get the money back. Technically, it isn’t Apple breaking EU rules, Ireland is.

Some (most?) other countries also faced similar issues in the past when they helped local companies by some form of a state aid. But it was a smaller amount and a local company, so nobody even noticed. This is the first time (that I am aware of) that EU goes after a country helping big multinationals.

It would be funny if Ireland decides to leave the EU so they simply sidestep the issue 😀

• bfar

Technically Ireland has a sovereign right to set its own corporate tax rates, whatever they might be. And let’s be clear, it’s an open secret that Ireland sets low corporation taxes in order to encourage US multinationals to bring employment to Ireland, which as a small island doesn’t benefit as easily as other European countries by the free movement of indigenous European industry. Apple employs around 5000 people in Ireland – that’s easily worth more than the €13 billion in the long term, although the EU is already being accused of setting such a high figure to be used as a wedge to break down consensus in Irish political circles.

The EU commission sees low corporation tax as anti-competitive, and in the absence of any direct control of tax rates, is using back-door state-aid legislation to steer EU countries away from special deals with multinational companies. That legislation was never intended to be used as a means to harmonize tax rates, so it remains to be seen if it holds any water, and in the meantime these rulings are being challenged. Indeed both Apple and Ireland have already indicated that they intend to challenge, and the previous rulings in Netherlands and Belgium involving Starbucks and McDonnells are already being fought. The the money will be frozen in holding accounts until the dust settles.

Meanwhile there’s more – since it’s multinationals that are being targeted as opposed to indigenous corporations, the US is perceiving all this as a form of protectionism on the part of the EU. There’s also a feeling that this money really belongs to the US taxpayer. The US could well be provoked into some form of retaliation, or perhaps the EU is looking for some leverage against the troubled trans-atlantic trade negotiations.

• Zizy

It has, as long as the corporate tax rates are the same for every company. If Apple got a special tax break deal, this is a violation of EU agreement. But yeah, EU really wants that Irish-Dutch sandwich gone. Low tax should help smaller enterprises too, while such loopholes only benefit rich.

We shall see what happens in the end when the dust settles 🙂

• bfar

The double Irish is gone and is being phased out for existing companies.

• tipoo

Their response fwiw

[url<]http://www.apple.com/ie/customer-letter/[/url<]

• Star Brood

Damn, my iPhone 5SE will no longer be the newest iPhone. Time to downgrade my ego!

• sweatshopking

You used to be cool.

• albundy

ooooh, sorry, cant make it. i have plans that day and a reservation at AnywhereElse! I’m sure I’ll read up on it on some blog some day.

• One Sick Puppy

I’d like to see a low-end Mac Mini with SSD standard. Small as an Apple TV would be nice, too.

• tipoo

They really left that by the wayside. I also hate that they added a metal plate to the bottom for no reason but to stymie upgrades. It’s not like it’s a laptop they made thinner and lighter, the bottom plate gained us nothing.

[url<]http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_0456-980x510.jpg[/url<]

• blastdoor

I’d love there to be Mac-related announcements, but I think the probability of that is incredibly low. If we hear about anything other than the iPhone, I bet it will be the watch.

Ugh….

The 3.5 mm jack thing is just scary from my perspective as a shareholder. I just hope they come up with a very compelling explanation for why this is a good idea (by compelling I mean both (1) true and (2) easy to communicate). The best case I’ve seen articulated is that very well implemented wireless headphones are clearly superior to wired. I think I buy that in theory. But the key is “very well implemented”, which includes these awesome headphones/earpods/whatever need to come in the box, not as a $150 accessory. I’m just not very optimistic here.

The one thing that could possibly compensate for a mediocre implementation on the audio jack issue is if the camera is radically improved. But it sounds like the only hope for a radically improved camera is in the plus model, and it remains to be seen how well they implement a dual camera solution. Obviously others have already attempted this — Apple needs to have a better implementation.

• sweatshopking

It won’t be wireless, it’ll be lightning.

• travbrad

Which makes it even more pointless. Replacing a standard cable that most headphones have used for decades with something else, and not even choosing usb or mini/micro USB which are the most common “digital” headphones available.

It is definitely doing things the Apple way though.

• blastdoor

I hope you’re wrong but fear you’re right.

• sweatshopking

If it changes it’ll be lightning. Im always right. You know that. 😉

• tipoo

The bokeh in the invitation certainly seems to hint at a camera focus…I just hope the little 7 gets something and not all the cake is reserved for the dual camera Plus.

A move to 1/2.3rds sensors would go a looong way, the 6S increased the pixels on the same tiny 1/3rd sensor and traded off low light performance as a result, a lateral move. And OIS, I hope.

• chuckula

Pours one out on his homie 3.5 mm jack’s grave.

Incidentally, for those of you who think I’m down on AMD you got it all wrong.
    AMD: Made me money this year.
    Intel: Made me money this year.
    NVidia: Making me money this year.

Apple: NOT SO MUCH, and I held those shares for a while.

So you can see who really is getting on my nerves, but at least I’m out before the inevitable disappointment in the lack of headphone jacks.

• tipoo

Were you this guy?

[url<]https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/4z1xi4/yolo_used_a_9k_balance_transfer_offer_to_buy_1750/[/url<]

• chuckula

Sure.

• Waco

Ouch, that hurts my brain.

• tipoo

Did you make it to the part where he’s doing this in leu of paying off his credit cards which would get him a GUARANTEED 25% return on investment by avoiding interest?

• Kougar

No. Holy hell, go for the guaranteed payoff.

I wonder if he realizes that he probably still has to make a monthly minimum payment on the balance, or risk forfeiting the zero interest offer if he misses one. It’s how those things usually work…

• NeelyCam

Lol:

[quote<][–]brap_1,750 shares AMD @ 7.45 on a Credit Card[S] 131 points 7 days ago Steadily paying my others cc's off, woulda been able to pay a little bit more but [b<]I lost my last paycheck playing blackjack.[/b<] Theyre only 25% apr tho [–]BDOID 381 points 7 days ago DUDE you can make a RISK FREE 25% every time you pay off your credit card. I cant even fucking handle this. Sell the AMD AND PAY OFF THE CC. [–]brap_1,750 shares AMD @ 7.45 on a Credit Card[S] 491 points 7 days ago Yeah but know what I can't do my paying off my credit card? Make the 800% im going to when earnings come out in october bruh[/quote<]

• tipoo

“nobody gets a yacht paying off their credit card”

Oh boy, lol. Do you want massive unpayable debt hole? Because that’s how you get massive unpayable debt hole.

• ThatStupidCat

Jaw drop. [url<]http://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=amd[/url<]

• ThatStupidCat

Buffet is in apple. Was watching how that thing held like a champ after they announced that and the market was crapping its pants.