LG will show off two new curved ultrawides at IFA Berlin

At next week's IFA show in Berlin, LG is going to be showing off two new 21:9 monitors. The 38-inch 38UC99 and 34-inch 34UC79G are both high-performance ultrawide curved screens, although they serve radically different customers. The 34UC79G is a 2560×1080 ultrawide for gamers, while the 38UC99's applications are more nuanced.

On the face of it, the 38UC99 is a beauty. The monitor's 38-inch diagonal might seem massive, but it's only about the same height as a 30-inch 16:9 monitor. Its 3840×1600 panel is IPS, of course, and LG says it covers 99% of the sRGB color space. LG doesn't specify the 38UC99's refresh rate, response time, contrast ratio, or maximum brightness, but AMD's FreeSync website confirms a variable-refresh range from 52 to 72Hz, without Low Framerate Compensation support. It also supports LG's "one millisecond" Motion Blur Reduction feature.

In its press release, LG emphasizes the 38UC99's quality-of-life features over its prowess as a display. A USB Type-C port—the first on a monitor, according to LG—offers easy device charging. The 38UC99 also includes 10-watt Bluetooth stereo speakers that LG claims have "rich" bass output. These features, along with the large size, might make this monitor more suited for a den than the desk.

The other monitor LG will be showing at IFA is the 34UC79G. LG says this is the first 144Hz IPS curved ultrawide monitor on the market. Its 34-inch IPS panel has a native resolution of 2560×1080, and it has a 50Hz-to-144Hz FreeSync range. Like its sibling, it supports LG's Motion Blur Reduction, which is a form of black frame insertion. Unlike its sibling, it also supports FreeSync Low Framerate Compensation, which means things should stay smooth even below the 50Hz FreeSync baseline. Pricing and availability will probably be announced at IFA next week.

• Antias

I like the 3840×1600 resolution of the 38″.
    Nicely doubles all those 1920×800 rips i’ve got 🙂

But not enough to drag me from my 40″ philips bdm4065uc.
    While not a perfect gaming monitor, I do far more than gaming and its been awesome to use, never been happier… (I mainly play RPG’s so super fast response times not totally necessary – the 60 hz has never been a problem for me, especially running it on a 980Ti – and ESO and Skyrim look amazing..)

Still, the idea of a 38″ curved does make me salivate a bit 🙂

• Firestarter

are they ever going to stop making every display curved? Curves distort images that were meant to be displayed on flat screens, which is pretty much [i<]everything[/i<]

• kamikaziechameleon

3840×1600… we are getting there. Lets get to 2160 vertical… common you can do it!

I know we are ham strung by cable through put at this moment. But that is the dream.

• EndlessWaves

Sadly not. At 38″ this is only 110dpi, the same as 27″ 2560×1440 and 34″ 3440×1440.

It’s just a bigger slice of the same panel rather than an ultrawide cut from a 160dpi+ panel that you can reasonably run at 2x scaling.

• Tumbleweed

5120 x 2160 via TB3 or GTFO. 🙂

• Airmantharp

And bundle the two Titans you’ll need to drive it!

(and might as well make it G-Sync and get some actually useful adaptive sync ranges while you’re at it)

• SlappedSilly

The 38UC99 sounds like it might finally get me off 2x1080p. It also sounds like it will probably be too expensive for me.

I think I could be tempted to ignore the pained cries of my wallet if this supported ludicrous frame rates at sub-native resolutions. 144Hz+@1920×800 please. No fancy upscaling, just quadruple the pixels with low latency. Pretty please with strawberries and chocolate on top? Can I have my cake and eat it too?

• DPete27

Only 99% sRGB LG? So last year. Where’s your quantum dots and OLEDs and HDR?

• Neutronbeam

and pixie dust!

• Srsly_Bro

pixel dust*

• Redundant

I switched to 21:9 (3440 x 1440) in April of 2015 from a very old 30″ dell 3008-wfp. Then, got a couple more for sim racing. Ditched all three recently for a large 16:9. These ultra-wides always felt like 1/2 a monitor compared to my old 30. And, I could never get past a feeling like I had blinders over the upper 1/2 of my eyes and I was missing out on something. After returning to 16:9 I felt normal again. Just my experience with these things.

• drfish

21:9 for life! Assuming of course the game you’re playing properly supports the aspect ratio. *cough* Overwatch! *cough*

• Redundant

I gave one to my wife and it was a major upgrade for her. She likes it. I miss the curve. I went to a 43″ and without the curve, it gets a tad odd at the edges. But, here’s the thing. I put one of those 34″ wide’s in front of the 43″. It took up the lower 1/2 of the screen, but the 43″ had an extra 6 or so inches to the side. Plus, I could nearly have fit another 34″ on top of it to fill the upper gap. So a 43″ 16:9 is like having 2 stacked 34″ ultra-wides + ~6 extra inches of extra width. Same pixel density. Be nice to have a 43″ with a slight curve and variable refresh.

• drfish

Yeah, [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116722<]I tested a couple options[/url<] before settling with a LG 34UC87C that I love (slight glow notwithstanding). The 40" was just too much, I liked the height being brought down a bit and the width pulled in a little. I know I won't buy a new primary monitor for a few years, and it'll have to be 21:9, OLED, with variable refresh to get my attention.

• CheetoPet

I’ve got the same 3008wfp & am still waiting for something worth the upgrade. Or maybe those yellow lines down the side will get worse & I’ll have no choice…

• Krogoth

21:9 is meant for productivity if you have limited desktop space for several monitors. It is not meant for media consumption and gaming.

21:9 is the new 5:4 ratio. It plays on bigger numbers = better! marketing tactic.

Curved displays are just the latest fad in the display world (“3D monitors” were the last fad). It is really “form over function”. The pseudo-“depth perception affect” wears off fast and becomes annoying if you care about productivity.

I picked up the 34UM67 recently at better than half price.
    I’m keeping it, because I’m loving 21:9 but I have a few complaints:

1. IPS corner glow at the is even worse than on a 16:9 because the corners are wider.
    2. Even overclocked, my freesync range is 32-80Hz, and 80Hz is pretty pedestrian for gaming
    3. Being Freesync there’s no strobing backlight (ULMB) like on G-Sync screens.

The 34UC79G appears to solve all three of these complaints:

1. Curve reduces the viewing angles at the edges, reducing IPS corner glow.
    2. 144Hz is much better than 80Hz
    3. black frame insertion may not be a strobing backlight, but I’ll take it!

• lmc5b

I didn’t know you could overclock to increase the lower end of the freesync range. How did you do it?

• Kretschmer

Look for Custom Radeon Utility.

• RAGEPRO

Black frame insertion might be better than a strobing backlight, as it should have less impact on perceived brightness. 🙂

• DPete27

Considering you can’t do ULMB and GSync at the same time though, which one would you choose to enable?

• RAGEPRO

ULMB is the superior option… if you can maintain >90 FPS.

Otherwise you’d probably want variable refresh for maximum smoothness. But really, low-persistence mode is amazing.

Depends on the game. The faster and more competitive it is, the more relevant ULMB becomes.

For something solo and casual like GTA5, I think I’d rather have all the details on max and eye candy up to full, in which case the silky smoothness of G-Sync makes more sense. If I had to choose one, and could never have the other, I’d choose ULMB, because you can get smooth frame delivery without adaptive sync, but you can’t get rid of sample-and-hold motion blur any other way.

• Firestarter

FYI strobing backlights are not exclusive to G-Sync monitors. My 120hz Samsung does it and it’s definitely not a G-Sync monitor, it’s a shame it’s so dark in that mode though and the color get messed up

• Kretschmer

I recently picked up a 34UM88, and I’d characterize it as a gaming downgrade from my MG279Q (which I really need to get around to selling) due to the lower refresh rate, but a wonderful upgrade on the desktop productivity front. There’s nothing like working on a huge Excel workbook in one huge flat space.

Have you tried overclocking it to extend the freesync range? (CRU from [url=http://www.monitortests.com/forum/thread-custom-resolution-utility-cru<]here[/url<]). The refresh rate isn't such a deal-breaker if you can get Freesync to work in LFC mode which requires the upper Freesync frequency to be 2.5x that of the lower frequency. 30-75Hz works, 32-80Hz works. The two IPS panels I've tried seem to be able to handle down to 30Hz without issues, I suspect your upper limit might be the problem. Regardless of refresh rate, the problem with a 34" IPS monitor is that your viewing angles at the edge really highlight IPS corner glow. In my humble opionion, no IPS widescreen should be flat because beyond about 30 degrees horizontally [b<]*and*[/b<] vertically, IPS corner glow is worse than some TN panels (especially for gamers where black level and contrast are more important than colour accuracy).