Happy Friday, gerbils. We're on the eve of Labor Day weekend, and that means it's time for an avalanche of deals and "deals" alike. We've sorted the wheat from the chaff for you, and here's what we found.
- MSI's Z170A SLI motherboard is $97.99 at Newegg. This board is a slightly cut-down version of the MSI Z170A SLI Plus board we reviewed and recommended a while back. The only major victims of that cutting-down appear to be the built-in display outputs in the board's rear I/O cluster. We imagine most TR readers won't miss those in an enthusiast build with a discrete graphics card.
- Want a fancier Z170 board? The MSI Z170A Gaming M7 that I recently used in our VR build log is $199.99 on Newegg, $30 off its suggested price. The Gaming M7 has most everything one might want from a high-end motherboard, including USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A and Type-C ports, copious onboard fan headers, twin M.2 slots, and MSI's premium Audio Boost 3 onboard sound setup with a Realtek ALC1150 codec. A $10 mail-in rebate could make this deal even sweeter.
- Seagate's Backup Plus 8TB external hard drive is $199.99 on Newegg today after promo code ESCENEG45. I own this drive, and even though there's a shingled magnetic recording disk inside, it's plenty fast for backups and largely sequential access patterns. At about three cents per gigabyte, it's hard to go wrong with this monster bit bucket.
- Asus' MG28UQ monitor is $419.99 on Newegg. This 28" 4K display uses a TN panel, but it makes up for it by offering FreeSync support across the 40-60Hz range that's typical of UHD variable-refresh gaming monitors. That $420 price tag is the lowest we've ever seen on this display, so if you've been mulling a 4K FreeSync monitor, this one might be just the ticket.
- If you're willing to pay a bit more for an IPS FreeSync monitor with a lower resolution than the MG28UQ's, the Asus MG279Q is $479.99 with promo code EMCENEF38. This 27", 144-Hz display only performs its FreeSync magic from 35Hz to 90Hz, but we figure that's the range where most users will appreciate the help. The 2560x1440 resolution of this panel doesn't hurt, either, and $480 is one of the lowest prices we've seen this monitor hit. Check out our video review for all the details.
- WD's Black 2TB hard drive is $109.99 at Newegg after promo code ESCENEF22. WD's Black drives are tuned for high performance, and the high density and 7200-RPM spindle speed of this disk should make it pretty fast for spinning rust.
- Newegg is also offering $40 off Toshiba OCZ's blazing-fast RD400 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD with promo code ESCENEF32. After that discount, it's $729.99, and its cost per gigabyte comes down to 73 cents. While that per-gig cost is still stratospheric, the RD400 is one of the few 1TB NVMe SSDs out there to begin with, and it's a great performer. If you need a terabyte of storage to stick in an M.2 slot, this is a great choice.
- Apple's iPad Air 2 64GB is $399.99 at Best Buy in space gray, gold, and silver. We've long recommended the Air 2 as the large tablet to get in our mobile staff picks, and $100 off the storage configuration we prefer is a great deal.
There's a chance you're looking for a deal on something we didn't feature here. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, Rakuten, Walmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store, and Das Keyboard's shop.
Those are the best deals we could find this Labor Day eve, but we're sure there are more than a few treasures out there that we've missed. If you find a great bargain, be sure to share it with other TR readers in the comments.