Razer sharpens its Blades with Pascal and Kaby Lake

Razer's Blade and Blade Stealth laptops are getting some big updates before PAX this weekend. The potent Blade gaming laptop is trading up from a GTX 970M to the desktop-class GTX 1060. Meanwhile, the ultra-slim Blade Stealth laptop that we saw at CES this year is getting a few upgrades, including the latest Kaby Lake processors and a bigger battery.

Razer's 14-inch Blade laptop remains essentially unchanged aside from the new graphics processor, retaining the Core i7-6700HQ and 16GB of DDR4 memory from its predecessor. Naturally, Razer makes some noise about the Blade now being "VR ready." The new GTX 1060's performance will depend heavily on how well the Blade keeps it cool, but Razer says it has an engineering team dedicated to solving that challenge. In any event, the new graphics chip should be better suited to pushing the Blade's fancy 3200×1800 IGZO touchscreen.

The 12.5-inch Blade Stealth ultrabook is receiving a more substantial upgrade. Razer is swapping out the Core i7-6500U for the new Kaby Lake hotness of the Core i7-7500U. This nets the laptop an extra 400 MHz to its turbo clock, up to 3.5 GHz, as well as the other improvements that we reported on here. Razer doubles the maximum capacity of both the RAM and SSD in this machine, too, offering 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD as options. Finally, the battery is getting a boost to 53.6Wh, which Razer says is good for nine hours of use.

Both of the new machines have Thunderbolt 3 connections, and can use the Razer Core dock for real desktop graphics horsepower. For a limited time, Razer will knock a hundred dollars off the Core's $499 price-tag if it's purchased with a Blade Stealth. The upgraded laptops are available immediately from Razer's website. The GTX 1060-equipped Blade starts at $1799 and the Stealth at $999.

• Blink

I saw they also released a membrane+mechanical switch keyboard. Color me interested. I doubt I’m in the minority that would love the feedback of the mechanical keyboards with the low acoustics of a membrane.

• End User

More Thunderbolt 3 goodness.

• Kretschmer

These seem like the perfect power laptops save for the obnoxious Razor logo and presumably poor battery life.

Ideally Dell will make their XPS line compatible with external graphics, so a user can pick up a quad-core professional laptop and game with it at home!

• leor

I’ve got the Razer Blale 14 inch 2014 model, love that thing, one of the best laptops I’ve ever owned. When they update this one with an OLED screen, this is my next laptop.

I’ve not paid attention to massively overpriced gaming boutiquebooks, but am I wrong to expect an Apple lawsuit over this one?

• RAGEPRO

I don’t think even “a moron in a hurry” could mistake these for macbooks.

I must be a [url=http://www.usedmacmarket.com/files/product/f/dd8987af36df2bc8aa210ac7a7abd637.jpg<]special[/url<] [url=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/MacBook.jpg<]type[/url<] [url=http://cdn3.volusion.com/dghp7.mx4ek/v/vspfiles/photos/MB-13-B-4.jpg?1461660065<]of[/url<] [url=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Macbook_negro.jpg<]moron[/url<] [url=http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/macbook.jpg<]then[/url<].

• RAGEPRO

Haha. I wasn’t calling you a moron, to be clear. It was in reference to [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_moron_in_a_hurry<]this legal test.[/url<] I think the RGB LED keys, 16:9 aspect ratio, and vast gulf in thinness set these apart, though, nevermind the bright green USB ports and all-aluminum construction.

• ShadowEyez

The Macbook is white.

This Razer Blade and Stealth are both black.

If that doesn’t pass the “moron in a hurry” test, what would?

• Kretschmer

So no one else can sell black laptops, even if they have different dimensions, materials, target markets, features, coloring, et cetera?

Well, OK then.

• End User

It does indeed remind me of my old MacBook:

[url<]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/MacBook.jpg[/url<]

• tipoo

Eh, seems like 70% of ultrabooks settled on similar form, so no. Some of HPs designs a few years ago were a jillion times more of a blatant copy than this is.

• Airmantharp

Remember that the concept of an ‘ultrabook’ is an Intel machination, which Intel pushed to marked after working with Apple to make the form factor possible in the first place.

In essence, if Apple had a problem with ultrabooks, they’d have already gone after (their partner!) Intel.

• ImSpartacus

I wouldn’t expect a lawsuit, but the Blade is strikingly similar to a Macbook Pro colored black with green light rather than white light.

They have a logo in the exact same spot. It’s lit up in exactly the same way (except with a different color). Both have only one bit of text on the entire chassis and it’s in the same spot and it describes the same thing. The keyboard appears to be similar (though the keycap font is different) and the trackpad is very similar.

Personally, I’ve never seen a laptop that looks more similar to a Macbook. It’s a beaut.

• Kretschmer

My Dell follows the same conventions. It’s a laptop thing.

• Kretschmer

Besides being the same laptop form factor, what at all do they have in common?

• RAGEPRO

One thing I meant to point out in this piece and forgot about is that the Kaby Lake chip’s support for hardware-decoding H.265 (HEVC) and VP9 means you can actually play 4K video on the 4K screen.

• Airmantharp

Not that that’s terribly enticing in and of itself, I’d rather the bandwidth be put to use for better 1080p HDR streams, but these laptops can obviously push that video out to a properly sized monitor/TV as well, and that is newsworthy!