In the lab: Corsair’s Carbide Series Air 740 case

Corsair has made a name for itself with its dual-chamber Carbide Series Air 240 and Carbide Series Air 540 cases. This design puts a system's power supply and storage in its own distinct chamber to reduce thermal cross-pollution and improve airflow. We've reviewed the microATX Carbide Series Air 240, but we haven't had a chance to play with one of the company's ATX dual-chamber designs until now. Say hello to the Carbide Series Air 740, the revised version of Corsair's big bicameral design.

The first thing that'll strike you about this case is how large it is. It resembles nothing if not a mini-fridge. Corsair puts that space to good use with plenty of room for extra-long graphics cards, huge radiators and air coolers, and more inside. We're looking forward to seeing how this case performs with some high-octane parts soon. Expect a $150 price tag when this case hits e-tail and retail, and stay tuned for our review.

• VinnyC

I’ve got the 540 and I gotta say, this new one looks like crap compared to the old design. It may incorporate better features (more room for 3.5″ drives please?) but… just the look of it is garbage.

• Thresher

Corsair’s cases seem to be getting worse and worse looking, not to mention the shoddiness of them.

My old 800D and 650D were tanks and Corsair doesn’t build anything like those anymore. I have a 750D now, it does the job, but doesn’t feel anywhere as sturdy as my old Corsairs.

• Ph.D

Looks like a disaster to dust off.

• torquer

Presenting…. The Homer!

• NeelyCam

Too small.

• torquer

That’s what she said

• Arclight

[quote<]Maximum CPU Cooler Height: 170mm[/quote<] I expected a lot more given how it's 340mm wide. I understand that it's better in terms of cable management, however, at those dimensions it seems underwhelming. I would have preferred for the airflow to be set up to intake on the lower part and exhaust at the top. If not then maybe the ability to place the case on what is now considered the front panel. Given the width, none of the fans should be as small as 140mm. Maybe allow their installation as well but configure it for much larger intake and exhaust fans.

• kvndoom

My new rig is in a Carbide Air 540… I love it! Stylish and spacious. For once, assembling a PC never felt like a chore.

• Anonymous Coward

Maybe I’m old, but I recall some very fine cases 10 years ago.

• JosiahBradley

In better news Corsair redeems themselves by releasing the 460x [url<]http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-460x-rgb-compact-atx-mid-tower-case[/url<]

• thanatos355

Wow! That’s fantastic!

• EndlessWaves

Tempered glass AND RGBs? I think my blingometer just exploded.

This Air 740 does look cool but it’s a bit on the large size. It would be nice if the kept the external appearance but got rid of the two chamber design and window and shrink it down as far as they could while retaining Micro ATX compatibility.

• Refused9150

Plexiglass I believe, definitely not tempered glass. And I think it doesn’t come with RGB

• bobboobles

According to the first blurb on the linked Corsair page, it comes with both of those things…

• the

:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not only does this case look nice, it isn’t a true double wide, more like a 1.5 wide case. The second chamber rotates the drives intelligently to keep things narrow.

Only two other items are missing from my wish list for the perfect case:
    1) Second PSU mounting spot with optional redundant daughter board. While not a hot swap PSU, being able to add a second unit would be handy for high power systems and/or if one unit fails while under load.
    2) Hot swap front bays with an integrated drive backplane. Being able to swap out drives for a RAID array would be nice.

Those two items aren’t deal breakers. Pending good review, I think I found my next case.

Edit: i think i found my deal breaker: no EATX support. It looks like such a board would fit but not according to official specs.

Please test with an i3 and integrated graphics in an mITX motherboard;

We already know it’ll fit all the big stuff, but are you so sure it can handle [i<]small[/i<] stuff?

• the

The lack of stuff inside it will cause the case to collapse into a singularity. It needs to be filled with awesome to prevent the pressure of embarrassment from crushing it.

• thanatos355

I’ve been so disappointed in the quality of my 780T, that I doubt I’ll even consider another Corsair case. Which is really sad, because they (most anyway) are simply gorgeous.

• Redocbew

Needs more fins.

• tipoo

The fins make it faster

• Redocbew

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more fins.

• James296

I’m sorry, there has been a recall on your Fins medication and has been discontinued. However have you of the new medication called Finsbox.

• the

Just think how much faster it would be with more fins [i<]and[/i<] a racing stripe.

• dyrdak

and keep more dust that helps lower the noise

• JosiahBradley

This thing has more fins than shark week.

• bfar

Dust collectors

• chuckula

Excellent. Can’t wait for the review. I’m pretty sure my next major build (which ain’t happening any time soon) will be a double wide.

KUZ THAT’S HOW I ROLL!

• JosiahBradley

Did ThermalTake buy out corsair? WTF is this thing?

it’s really frickin yooge