Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gets DirectX 12 preview update

Owners of the latest game in cyberpunk action series Deus Ex will no doubt already be aware that Steam has either queued up or downloaded the latest update. This update, v1.4 build 545.4_P5, mostly fixes "critical user-reported issues". Among the major issues fixed are a freeze during the subway loading scene, "massive stalls" in Prague, and a problem with saving for users who have run out of Steam Cloud space.

Owners of Mankind Divided may not have noticed that this update also brings the first preview of the DX12 version of the game. To try out the DX12 preview, load up Steam, right-click the game in your library, select "Properties," and click over to the Betas tab. The DX12 codepath has been released as a beta branch of the game because it isn't ready for prime time yet, and developer Nixxes wants to get the community's help with testing its implementation of the new API ahead of its September 19 release.

Given the beta status, there are some caveats about running the game in DX12 mode. Multi-GPU systems aren't supported yet, although Nixxes says they will be by the final release. The developer also says that while DX12 can offer better performance in some cases, it may cause problems for some users. Nixxes advises users having trouble to simply switch back to the normal build, because there are no gameplay or visual differences between the two render paths. Of particular note with the new DX12 backend for the game is a known bug that causes performance regressions on "some very high-end cards." As always, make sure you have the latest graphics drivers before loading up bleeding-edge graphics code.

• wingless

If the game isn’t natively built for DX12 from the ground up, this is the crap we’ll see. This implementation is DX12 for DX12’s sake and will likely to continue to degrade performance.

I remember this nonsense being done during the DX11 transition to similarly mixed results.

• Krogoth

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPuEQo-FxE[/url<]

• Rza79

Seems to perform really bad ATM:
    [url<]https://www.computerbase.de/2016-09/deus-ex-mankind-divided-dx12-benchmark/2/[/url<]

• Tirk

That seems very different than:
      [url<]http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/deus_ex_mankind_divided_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html[/url<] Much less doom and gloom with their tests. I wonder the settings that were used that made the discrepancy.

• Rza79

I guess that’s why it’s still beta. It doesn’t behave nicely on every system. Weird though.

• slate0

Would be interesting to see some numbers. Does DEMD have a built in testing routine?

• LostCat

Well, I like it and I’m playing with it, but I can’t say I’m impressed yet.

• jts888

What card are you using? As an AMD collaboration, this patch’s benefits might be a bit affected by your team color.

• LostCat

290 on an A10-7850K. I’m trying to get a new system soon, but I’m not really sure when yet.

• swaaye

The saved games definitely take up some space with this one.

Sounds like another unexciting D3D12 situation. Maybe it is useful if you have an especially slow CPU but also own a decent GPU…

• jts888

As yet another game steeped in post-processing effects, async compute shader handling leaves open the ~10% or whatever performance gains for the taking.

It feels like DX12 is just about wringing out the last few drops, not making leaps and bounds or adding substantially new capabilities.

• synthtel2

Async compute can be applied to lots of things, not just post, and it can increase efficiency a bit but it doesn’t make work disappear.

• mkk

I’ve only now picked up the previous title, thinking that I might as well wait and see how it works out with DX12 before taking any chances on the latest. The thing is I don’t really like gameplay that includes mandatory cover mechanics; but if they could dazzle me with some nifty tech then maybe I’ll bite.

• I.S.T.

Well, it’s a stealth game primarily.

• swaaye

The 3rd person cover stuff is optional. I barely used it. It does make stealth easier though because you can see around obstacles in the 3rd person view.

• mkk

Sounds like an improvement over Human Revolution then. Here i can move in the same place, speed and height; but am spotted instantly if not toggled into the cover mechanic.
        Although about half way into the game sneaking does seem to be more optional. Not that I mind stealth, only when it requires crutch mechanics.

• RAGEPRO

I actually think he was talking about in HR. I finished DX:HR with the “ghost” challenge in each area and I very very rarely used the cover mechanic.

• swaaye

The two games play pretty much the same.