Belkin RockStar dongle lets iPhone 7 owners charge and rock out

One question that it seems like every iPhone fan is asking in the wake of the iPhone 7 announcement is how they'll charge their next iDevice while listening to music at the same time. That's because Apple killed the 3.5-mm headphone jack on the iPhone 7, and wired audio now has to pass through a Lightning-connector-equipped pair of headphones or through a Lightning-to-3.5-mm dongle. There's obviously just one Lightning port on the iPhone 7, however, so the charging-and-listening-at-once problem is real.

Folks unwilling to drop $159 on Apple's wireless EarPods or similar amounts on other wireless headphones would seem to have headaches ahead, but Belkin has a solution—for a price. The Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar dongle splits the power and audio lines from the Lightning port so that iPhone owners can enjoy the same functionality that past iPhones offered. This $40 device lets iPhone 7 owners plug in a charger and a pair of headphones at once, but that's it—the RockStar isn't a Lightning port duplicator. Considering that the alternative right now is a rather bulky Lightning dock from Apple for $39, though, we're sure many will appreciate the convenience. Just be ready for the inevitable tangle if you need to plug your Lightning-to-3.5-mm adapter into this adapter, too.

• Ikepuska

So, for everyone who uses BT instead of the 3.5mm I urge you to perform the following thought experiment in order to make empathy easier.

Imagine the W1 chip was designed differently and replaced the BT antenna/chip in the iPhone, meaning all BT devices now need a W1 or AirPlay to BT adapter to work.

• moose17145

Im really not sure what everyone is getting by these phone being thinner. So now you need to carry around a dongle if you do not have bluetooth headphones because it was so important to make the phone thinner that they needed to remove the headphone jack. And you are almost certainly going to put this phone into a bulky case to protect it anyways, thus undoing all of the extra thinness that you gained from removing the headphone jack.

Also by making the phone thinnner it has likely further messed up the battery life, since you now need an even thinner battery. But that can be easily countered by now also carrying around an external battery pack so that you can charge your phone on the go!

But if I want to charge my phone on the go WHILE listening to music with wired headphones, I need THIS new dongle as well.

So now because we all need thinner phones we need
    -A lightning to headphone jack dongle
    -An external battery in the event that the internal battery is not enough.
    -And this new dongle if you want to listen to music while charging your phone with your external battery.

Seems like a lot of extra junk to carry compared to just having a thicker phone with a good battery. Think I will be holding onto my Galaxy S5 with extended life battery for a while longer. Especially since I actually use the headphone jack almost every day.

• End User

Removal of the headphone port had nothing to do with the phone being thinner. The 7 is the same thickness as the 6s.

I gave up on wired headphones ages ago so the loss of the headphone port is just meh.

The supplied adapter is so small that no-one will notice it on the end of their current headphones.

The iPhone 6 and 6s had great battery life to begin with. The 7 and 7 Plus get a runtime boost of 2hrs and 1hr respectively. The chances of you having to charge throughout a day while listening via a lightning headset are minimal.

Edit: changed 7s to 7 Plus

• cygnus1

[quote<]The iPhone 6 and 6s had great battery life to begin with. The 7 and 7s ... [/quote<] 7S or 7 Plus?

• End User

Whoops. 7 Plus.

I’m already thinking about next years phone but I even screwed that up (it will be the 8).

• cygnus1

I think you’re right about next year being the 8, which means Apple might skip a 7S altogether. Another possibility though that I thought about is that they’ll come out with 7S and 8 at the same time. And they’ll basically have the same guts but with the 8 being in some new form factor and having any new external features and the 7S being externally identical to the 7.

• cygnus1

Actually, it’s not any thinner than the 6S/6S Plus. They didn’t do it for the sake of thin-nes. They did it to ditch a “single use port”, in their words, and to cram in more other stuff. I’m sure it also contributed to making the IP67 rating easier to achieve. I wouldn’t be shocked if they had telemetry from the active user base that indicated the frequency of users charging their phone and using the headphone jack simultaneously was incredibly minuscule. Not saying it never happens, but I know it’s not a use case I’ve personally needed too often. The most common place I’ve seen that usage scenario is people at work listening to music and keeping the phone plugged into a charger all day. For those folks, they’ll either buy this dongle or a dock, or switch to wireless headphones of some sort.

I’m in the camp that’s already switched to bluetooth earbuds before the jack was removed. While it is something else to charge, and I thought I was going to hate it because of that, but it just hasn’t been that big a deal. They last a fair amount of time and charge fairly quickly. And with many coming out with charging cases for the earbuds, they’ll generally always be on full charge when you put them on and then you can charge the case while you use them if necessary.

Also in that ‘cram more other stuff in’ vein, they made the home button a force touch sensor which takes up less space than a full on button and eliminates another water entry point. It’s no longer an actual button. That particular change gives me more pause than the headphone jack removal. That leaves the only buttons to be volume and power. I’m curious how the home button is handled and if the phone will be able to respond correctly to a force reset (historically holding power and home buttons). If it’s plumbed into the firmware and not dependent on iOS being fully functional to operate, it’ll be fine. But if it’s dependent on any part of the full OS, then that could be a new problem in the troubleshooting department.

• moose17145

I Guess I, personally, find the headphone jack to be one of the most useful ports on the phone. I use mine almost every day to interface with my truck’s aux radio input. Removal of the headphone jack for me on ANY phone is just a no-go in my mind. Same with not having a user removable battery or micro SD slot. One of the first things I did on my S5 was ditch the stock battery and put in an 8,500mah extended run time battery and insert a 64GB MicroSD card.

• cygnus1

Not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds like you’re just not Apple’s target market nor have you been for many years. Did you really think the iPhone 7 was going to have removable storage and removable battery? Were you expecting to finally switch to an iPhone with this release and disappointed that Apple diverged even further from your preferences? I’m going to go out on a limb and guess the answer to those questions is no. So it seems kind of silly on your part to rant about Apple releasing products you don’t like if you had zero intention of purchasing.

• moose17145

You are right. I think apple makes absolute trash. But that isn’t why I am griping about this. What irks me is this isn’t just apple doing this. Samsung and most other major players are going the same path. Apple jumps off the cliff with removing something and everyone seems all too eager to follow them.

I just don’t see what is so hard about a company also offering up a good smart phone with a user replaceable battery (or just a REALLY good stock battery), microSD slot, and headphone jack. Sure maybe it isn’t OMG thin… but I bet there would be more people willing to go for a phone like that than most companies think. Honestly the Galaxy S5 is pretty much perfect as far as a phone for what features I am looking for. The S6 ditched the user replaceable battery and microSD slot, so it was out in my mind. And the S7 has done nothing to remedy that. Other manufacturers are going the same path, and the few phones that are not currently seem to be having some other weird issues (most recently reception problems from several of the LG’s if I remember correctly).

I just don’t see how everyone is finding the removal of all these things that I see as important key features of any phone as being a good thing. And eventually at some point I will have to give up my S5. I just hope there is a good phone that has the things I want when that happens.

• cygnus1

[quote<] I just don't see how everyone is finding the removal of all these things that I see as important key features of any phone as being a good thing.[/quote<] Because not everyone is you. Where you see pluses to all those features that are missing, I see major cons or at least big old 'who cares' so I'd rather have the trade-offs of their removal no matter how small or trivial the improvement might be. Like your need for a 3.5mm jack because of your aux port (which you can still use with the dongle and you'd probably just leave in the vehicle with your aux cable). I don't even have an aux port in my car, nor does my wife's car. In my car (a middle of the road Ford) it's either Bluetooth or a direct USB iPod/iPhone connection. Same two options for her in her much older and very different Infiniti. Bluetooth sounds just as good, if not better, than most aux inputs and generally will also put the song or audio source info up on the radio display. I don't care about removable storage, because 'the cloud'. Seriously, I don't know too many people that don't use cloud file storage and streaming on their mobile devices. My old mp3 collection of hundreds of GBs languishes in an extremely untouched share on my NAS. If I want to bring a bunch of movies or TV shows with me somewhere, they come on a portable TB+ hard drive or 500GB thumb-drive as they'd be too big for a micro SD card. And don't get me started on the stupidly slow transfer rates of moving files to/from a phone via USB or WiFi. Plus, most SD card slots require near total disassembly of the phone in order to swap it out, so that's never gonna happen. As for removable batteries, there are at least a few cons there, such as 1) the phones with removable batteries usually have plastic bodies that are very prone to wear and tear and usually look like crap, 2) having to buy a special charger for the custom, device specific batteries or remember to swap batteries around in case you use your spare to make sure they're all charged, 3) taking the phone out of whatever case it's in to swap out that battery. Plus there's a better option, like carrying a portable charger (giant battery) that can charge any of my, or my friends, USB devices. tldr; don't assume everyone as the same is you or that others are crazy for not having the same values as you

• moose17145

When did I say that everyone was the same as me? I never said that, nor did I assume it. I simply said I am utterly amazed at how many people see all these removals of key features to be a good thing. And I wouldn’t care if it was still easy to find a decent phone with the features I want / need. But even that is getting increasingly hard.

Cloud storage fails because I do not always have reception where I can use cloud storage. Furthermore, although I have unlimited data, most of my friends do not. They only have a couple of GB of data allotted to their plan each month, so streaming everything or using cloud storage on their mobile device is a no-go unless they want to pay a fortune through their respective carriers. If nothing else the additional storage is nice for moving some apps and programs over to the SD card instead of having to have everything on the phones internal storage. Granted you cannot move everything to the SD card, but you can move enough that it can help quite a bit.

And I do not understand this “total disassembly” you speak of for switching out SD cards. You remove the back cover, and swap out the SD card. What phones did you have where you had to totally disassemble the phone. Or do you consider removing the battery to be “total disassembly”? Cause I am baffled on that one. Along those lines, i do not know anyone who constantly swaps out their SD cards anyways. I think the only time I ever swapped out the SD card in my current phone was when I was moving it from one phone to another. Which is also super useful for being able to backup your contacts to the SD card.

And the same goes for the batteries. Although I have seen people carry multiple batteries with them, that to me just seems as silly as carrying around a huge external battery pack to constantly charge a phone that is overly thin and cannot contain a proper battery. I never swap out my battery. I get 2 1/2 to 4 days of battery life off one charge on my phone depending upon extremely heavy use to moderate use. So battery swapping is not an issue, and neither is charging it since I thus do not need an external charger or extra batteries on me ever.

But maybe I am the minority anymore. In which case I hope that someone out there will at least continue to make a decent phone that does have all the features I want. Just because you and 60% of people don’t need something doesn’t meant the other 40% (or whatever the percentage is )should be left out. And that was my biggest complaint is that all the phone manufacturers seem to be going to this stupid model of no removable or replaceable batteries, no SD slot, and soon no headphone jack. And I know for a fact that I am far from the only one, because there are clearly MANY people saying this is dumb on their part, or that they should at least offer a different model that has these features, even if that model isn’t as high end as the “flagship”. Every time a new phone article crops up several people complain about the same things I am right now. So clearly there is a market for what I am asking for.

• cynan

Well, hopefully if Android device makers follow suit, they’ll use a single port (eg, USB-C) that is capable of passing through analog audio, allowing them to keep a decent DAC on the device and drastically reducing the price and increasing the availability of dongles for people that want to use a 3.5mm TRS jack.

A USB to USB + 3.5mm dongle for USB charging and analog audio only will cost a small fraction of these Apple dongles with built in DACs. And should be ubiquitous enough eventually.

• sparkman

I already use wireless headphones on my iPhone 5S. I don’t see what all the whining is about.

• End User

The quality of Bluetooth is excellent these days.

• albundy

you could already listen to music and charge your phone without this nonsense on prior versions, so props on making a newer phone more bulky!

• UberGerbil

And for you pre-7 owners eager to join this future, there’s [url=http://appleplugs.com<]this[/url<].

[url=http://imgur.com/gallery/DaUz5ck<]That's one less thing to worry about[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/QmgL8mZ<]The[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/trdU2<]internet[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/stQIU<]community[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/xcMIT<]isn't[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/GmdKAfJ<]afraid[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/ZvbxK<]to[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/nQdRq<]roast[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/HPeFD<]Apple[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/fN0r2<]for[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/aXa8O<]their[/url<] [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/QxjCuN6<]'courage'[/url<]. and also, [url=http://imgur.com/gallery/nXsMv<]F-Bomb warning[/url<].

The “internet community” in those photos appears to be a bunch of Android fanboys. Then again, iOS fanboys are writing articles like this:

[url<]http://www.imore.com/what-color-iphone-should-you-get[/url<] so...

• southrncomfortjm

Wait, so they don’t even include a set of headphones that will work with the phone? Sometimes I really get the feeling Apple is just trying to figure out at what point people will just stop being their phones.

I think next they should make a flip phone and see what happens. Bet they sell millions.

Headphones are included, but they occupy the lightning port.

• southrncomfortjm

Ah, okay. Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave.

• vargis14

I for one is part of the % of people that the iphone earbuds do not fit in my ears correctly…..sure they will fit but if i move they fall out way to easily. I have to use the one’s with rubber seals or a headset.

• leor

I think since my first iPhone in 2007 I have listened to music while charging my phone exactly 0 times. That’s not to say I’m crazy about the removal of the jack, I mostly use Bluetooth at this point so I’m largely ambivalent, but the Lightning headphones will be 100% useless to me.

• RMSe17

I think it really depends on activities and lifestyle, I find that I use both quite often, for multi-hour drives or rides .

• yogibbear

Charge and plug into car.

• leor

Live in NYC, no car 😉

That dongle could make sense to keep in the car though, though the phone is good for all day use, you’d have to forget to charge it the day before for that to be important I think.

• floodo1

No thanks, I’ll just use The Airpods thanks!

I believe you meant Air Buds

• floodo1

[url<]https://www.apple.com/airpods/[/url<]

Yeah. That’s what I said. [url=https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/air_bud/<]Air Buds[/url<].

• floodo1

lololololololololol

• cynan

But would you ever listen to [url=http://airbud.com/<]Air Bud on your Air Buds[/url<]?

• bacondreamer

[url<]http://tinyurl.com/j6abuyu[/url<]

tfw your meme breaks

[quote<]Referral Denied You don't have permission to access "http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMzQxODE4MzEyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjk2OTY4ODE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg" on this server. Reference #24.2535d417.1473792114.a9d8a1a[/quote<]

• NTMBK

And what will you listen to when you have to charge the Airbuds?

• floodo1

I’ll charge them when I’m not listening to anything, the same way that I charge my phone exclusively while I’m not using it (usually while I sleep) (-8

• DPete27

I understand the move from analog audio to digital. I think they had a point there.

However, there IS such a thing as not enough connectivity, and I think this article highlights that. Apple saved some volume on their device by going lightening only and now users have to add 10x that volume to get proper functionality using clumsy dongles….ugh.

• swiharta

Point being? Audio is analog and they can put a better DAC in the phone than in headphones. This was primarily a greedy decision to make a new market for accessories.

• willmore

Seems Apple’s new marketing strategy is “death by a thousand cuts”.

• yogibbear

I hope this iPhone dies horribly. What a pathetic excuse to remove the MOST functional port on their device.

I actually LOVE my iPhone 6S (standard small sized one) with 128GB space for Music. It does ABSOLUTELY everything. Just keep giving me a faster one with a better camera and I’ll keep buying every third/fourth gen iPhone you sell. (last one before this was the 4S)

• blastdoor

I suspect the future is total wireless. At some point there might not even be a lightning port.

But the timing matters. I have been very skeptical about removing the 3.5 mm jack this year.

And in general I think Apple has done a terrible job of defending the decision. But in the interview with buzzfeed, I actually heard an explanation that made me a little bit less skeptical. The argument was basically about opportunity cost. There are significant space constraints inside a smartphone. Not just in terms of the amount of stuff you can cram in there, but in where the pieces all fit (due to antennae and electrical interference issues). Keeping the 3.5 mm port would have meant giving up something else about the phone. Some candidates for things to give up:

1. battery
      2. thinness
      3. camera size
      4. water proofing (not just because of the port itself, but because of the extra space needed for the haptic feedback on the home button)

I suspect #2 is one that a lot of people would have been happy to give up. That is, I’ll bet many TR readers would gladly accept a phone that’s 1 mm thicker (or whatever) if it meant they could keep the 3.5 mm port. I think that’s reasonable and could be correct. Maybe that’s what Apple should have done this year. Maybe they should have waited until wireless headphones were more firmly established in the market before yanking this port.

Obviously they didn’t do that. I suspect they made a mistake. But I’m less sure about that than I was a week ago.

• terranup16

Thinness and water resistance might mean something if Apple didn’t torpedo the benefits by highly recommending a case because their stupid design decisions mean the phone scratches easily (and maybe it’s just being spoiled by being in a household with a Lumia Icon and a Lumia 640, but these phones are basically unbreakable while almost every friend with an iPhone has a broken screen and damaged body unless it’s been in an Otterbox) and they still setup their warranty so the water resistance is basically meaningless.

So that leaves battery and camera size. I doubt the iPhone 7 Plus even will take home the “best camera sensor prize”, and even if it does it won’t be for long. Meanwhile, the victors will achieve this while also sporting a 3.5mm jack.

Battery really just goes back to thinness. If Apple produced phones that could viably operate without cases, they could afford to be slightly thicker.

• blastdoor

I use mine without a case. But I know that many do not.

• terranup16

Did you get the iPhone 7 with the jet black finish that on the purchase page explicitly recommends a case due to scratching issues?

• albundy

I agree, it would run much better without a battery.

• oldog

Oh, I get it. This is what became of the Google modular phone.

Yo dawg, we heard you like dongles, so we made a dongle to plug in your dongles!

For those not following along, I’m going to need this AND the Lightning-to-headphone adapter for the cassette adapter for the cassette player of my 1998 Ford Contour so I can plug in both my cigarette lighter-port charger at the same time. That’s THREE dongles to charge my phone and play music!

• curtisb

Or you could just not get an iPhone 7. 🙂

• funko

i don’t understand this strange concept.

• Mourmain

There’s a dongle for that!

• southrncomfortjm

Interesting plan. Tell me more.

• Redocbew

Three dongles is way too many. You’re asking for trouble.

• videobits

One has to wonder:
      Perhaps if you didn’t buy overpriced Apple products, maybe you could afford to upgrade the ’98 Ford to something from this century.

I can afford it, but I don’t see any reason to spend thousands on something I use a total of 2 hours a week when what I have is just fine.

• danazar

Let me get this straight: You’re complaining about overpriced hardware, but think that solution is to buy a new $20,000 car so he doesn’t have to spend an extra $40 on a dongle?

• End User

Makes more sense to just buy a new car that comes with CarPlay. 🙂

I got the joke, even though someone else downvoted you. I’ll add to it my own witty retort: replacing the vehicle might be cheaper at this point.

OK so I think this bears explaining: I work from home, so my wife gets the nice vehicle from this decade. I put maybe 70 miles per week on my car, and that’s almost entirely because I drive to the community college twice a week. It’s functional and for my purposes it’s fine.

• lilbuddhaman

Having owned that same car (same year too), in sweet “this looks cheap and dated” light blue, I can attest that the seats are comfy as hell. Like the old couch in the basement at grandparents house (smelled the same too).

I actually really like it. It’s got the 6-cylinder engine, the AC still gets hella cold, and like you said, it’s super comfy. It’s only got like 86k miles on it, though a whole bunch of city “sitting in traffic” time. I put about $900 into replacing a bunch of parts on the front end, but that’s what, 3 car payments? And even that was 8 months ago.

• Laykun

Why not just buy a bluetooth adapter for your cassette player? There are a lot of cheap and good bluetooth -> 3.5mm jack units out there.

I guess I didn’t realize such a thing existed, but that is somethign I could leave plugged in all the time and a great idea!

• Wirko

If an iPhone is connected to something larger, does it become a dongle itself?

• UberGerbil

You mean the person who owns the iPhone?

• DragonDaddyBear

Kool-Aid drinkers will flame me for this but people shouldn’t need a damn adapter to charge and listen to music with classic, quality WIRED headphones.

• Mystiq

Rock out with your dongle out.

• Pwnstar

Dongles out for Harambe.

• smilingcrow

Steve Jobs moves towards the light and realises his time has come.
    He sees a temple ahead with iconography which reminds him of Buddhist teachings and it has a big A above the entrance.
    He is drawn to it and on reaching the door he opens it and eagerly enters.
    He is met inside by a group of people dressed minimally in white who are very keen to meet him and he feels very welcomed.
    They fuss over him and then excitedly lead him over to a booth near a side entrance.
    He is entranced by their exuberance wondering what will unfold.
    They reach the booth and he is given a cap with a big A on it which he puts on and is ushered into the booth.
    He can’t contain himself anymore and asks why everyone is so excited.
    They explain that one of their group has recently taken on a new incarnation so they have a vacancy.
    Do you need a new Guru says Steve?
    They chuckle and say, well sort of. We have a spot for a salesman for USB devices and we thought with your background you would be ideal as vice president of sales specialising in Type A USB dongles.
    We thought you would like the touch with A being for Apple.

• mkk

Just keep on dongling.

• Takeshi7

This new iPhone is reminding me of back when Apple released that iPod Shuffle without any buttons. That backfired and they brought buttons back the next generation. I assume/hope the removal of the headphone jack will be similar.

• TwistedKestrel

Wait. If this isn’t a port duplicator, why didn’t they just put the 3.5mm jack directly on the dongle?! (Or is this to cater to the five people that will buy Lightning cabled headphones)

• ludi

The phone already ships with Apple’s lightning-to-3.5 dongle. The idea is to convert your iPhone into an iFlowChart.

• LauRoman

Yeah, but that means it’s twice the chance to lose a dongle and not be able to use the 3.5mm while charging.

• bill94el

Thus you have to buy another one. Therefore you give them even more money. Ergo, they’re getting richer.

Its nothing more than adding more gravy to the train. Nothing more, nothing less. Happily comply and all is right in the(ir) world.

• superjawes

“RockStar dongle”? Please keep it in your pants…

• TwistedKestrel

Suddenly I’m feeling less ambivalent about having to use the headphone adapter. Where’s the NYKO solution?

• ludi

Nothing sweetens the taste of a $700 phone like having to spend another $40 on a breakable, loss-prone accessory in order to get maximum use out of it.

• EndlessWaves

Apple – It Just Works™

• Waco

* Unless you’re using it wrong.

• Vaughn

lol $40 to regain functionality you lost.

Sounds like something Sony would do!

Well, Motorola beat everyone to the punch but Sony is working on it as we speak, cursing themselves for not thinking of it first.

• 223 Fan

Courageous.

• Redocbew

A courageous use of a dongle almost never goes unnoticed.

• WhatMeWorry