Gears of War 4 wants to be a first-class PC citizen

If you follow PC gaming at all, you probably heard that Gears of War Ultimate Edition launched on PC behaving much the same as the Xbox One version. That means it lacked even the most basic adjustments that PC gamers expect like v-sync control. PC Gamer's Tom Marks sat down with Gears of War 4 developer The Coalition last week, and he reports that the upcoming title avoids the console-port pitfalls of its predecessor.

According to Marks, even in pre-release state, Gears of War 4 has significant graphics customization options, a field-of-view adjustment, and capable mouse-and-keyboard controls. He also reports that the game supports ultra-wide monitors, and that Gears of War 4 will include a built-in benchmarking tool. Marks says the game ran very well, although he admits the GeForce GTX 1080-equipped PC he was playing on was "overpowered."

As perhaps the main series that spawned the "bro-op" sub-genre of third-person shooters, Gears of War has always featured co-op play prominently. The Gears series of games has existed primarily on the Xbox consoles where split-screen play has always been important. Marks says the game will support that feature in its PC version, too. Speaking of the Xbox, after trying the Xbox One version of the game, Marks says that he believes the PC version to be clearly superior. We'd expect nothing else from PC Gamer, of course.

Mike Rayner, The Coalition's technical director, says Gears of War 4 is being treated as a "first class, fully focused PC title," with a dedicated team working on the PC version. That'll be a marked change, as the first title's original launch was focused around the abortive Games for Windows Live initiative, and the second and third games were never released for the PC at all.

Many of the issues with Gears of War Ultimate Edition stemmed from limitations of the Universal Windows Platform. That title eventually got a patch to allow users to disable v-sync and adjust the framerate limiter, but The Coalition had to wait for Microsoft to allow UWP the ability to run games without v-sync on. Most of the major issues surrounding gaming on UWP have been resolved in the Anniversary Update, which will likely be required to play Gears of War 4 on Windows 10.

Gears of War 4 will be part of Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere program when it launches on October 11, 2016. For $59.99, you can buy the game once and play it on your Windows 10 PC or Xbox One.

• Axiomatic

I love GoW but if it’s a port then its impossible to be a PC first class citizen. Sorry but dem’s the facts.

• sweatshopking

They have specifically stated it isn’t a port, and they have a dedicated pc team.

• PixelArmy

[url<]http://www.geforce.com/GEARSOFWAR4BUNDLE[/url<]

• sweatshopking

[url<]http://www.pcgamer.com/gears-of-war-4s-pc-version-is-shaping-up-great/[/url<]

• ebomb808

This will be my first play anywhere investment. I have a regular group that games on the Xbox, and I have my beastly VR rig for VR and generally single player experiences. Very excited to try out co-op crossplay from my PC with Xbox friends on Horde. I’m a little dissapointed that the the co-op campaign is only for 2 people. Even making it for 3 would be a huge benefit to me, but I guess understandable as 2 has good synergy for split screen. Also looking forward to seeing how the HDR stuff will work on Xbox.

• sweatshopking

I’ll be getting sea of thieves to try it out.

• wierdo

Deja vu.

• Jambe

Even if I thought this would be worthwhile (woo, Stale Cover Shooter Mk. Eleventy Seven), I still wouldn’t touch it unless I had a 75%-off pole to hand.

Microsoft’s PC gaming track record makes every subsequent promise seem more of a latent insult than a genuine about-face.

• south side sammy

make it a FPS game and I’ll be interested. Always wanted to play it, but like many other games that I think will be good, they’re 3rd person. BAAHHHhhhhhhhhhh…………………

• Voldenuit

Gee, if UWP is the problem, why not release the game on Steam or GOG.com?

• cygnus1

Xbox games will never go on GoG, that’s a non-starter due to GoG not allowing DRM. And I don’t think they have any desire to fork over a large percentage of the game revenue to Valve either.

Honestly, since the Win10 AU released, UWP has been fine. Problem is they have a months left to finish the roll out as an auto-update.

• psuedonymous

[quote<]Problem is they have a months left to finish the roll out as an auto-update.[/quote<]Along with the "I ain't installin' no mandatory updates!" crowd, who will then proceed to loudly complain about things the update fixes.

• ebomb808

Why won’t Half Life 3 release on the Windows store. Why are playstation games not on steam. Why aren’t EA games sold on Uplay? Why is it hard to buy games from more than 1 store.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Why is it hard to buy games from more than 1 store.[/quote<] No harder than for publishers to sell on more than one store. Lots of Microsoft Studios and Microsoft-published games have been released on Steam: Dedlight, Ori, Mark of the Ninja, Dust, State of Decay. The upcoming Below is supposed to come out on Steam ([i<]supposed[/i<]), Windows Store and XBone. Ubisoft sells all their games on UPlay and on Steam, and CDPR also sells their games on GOG.com and Steam. Microsoft restricting their titles to their in-house store is not consumer-friendly.

• EzioAs

[quote<]Microsoft restricting their titles to their in-house store is not consumer-friendly.[/quote<] Right, because Gears of War 4 is developed for Win10 PC and Xbox One, Microsoft releasing it on their Windows Store is not consumer-friendly. Kinda like how Google releasing their apps on the Play Store, it's not consumer-friendly. Sarcasm aside, I'm pretty sure Microsoft will release it on other store eventually. They said the same thing about Quantum Break IIRC. EDIT: Okay, I realized you said restricted, which may not be super friendly to most people used to other stores (Steam, etc). On the other hand though, purchasing through Windows Store is quite simple if you haven't tried it yet. There's still room for improvement on Windows Store design itself but it's actually quite good once you get used to it.

• Voldenuit

I’m inclined to think that if Quantum Break sales on UWP had been better, we may never have seen a Steam version. Then again, if QB handn’t been such a hot mess, maybe their sales would have been better in the first place.

MS’ problem is that they have a history of acting against the consumers’ interest. Now I will be the first to admit that Steam is not a white knight in all this, but I fear (perhaps irrationally) for PC users should MS ever get a favorable market position in software distribution and publishing.

I’m fine with MS leveraging their xbone/win10 cross-buy program. But let that be their selling point instead of walling off people who don’t care to lock themselves in MS’ walled garden.

• LostCat

QB sold much better than they expected from what I read.

• sweatshopking

Took me about 20 minutes to sell my key on ebay.

• sweatshopking

How do you suggest the implement buy once play anywhere, with all the features it brings, through steam?

• StefanJanoski

I was surprised to see that The Witcher 3 is even being sold on EA Origin.

• sweatshopking

UWP isn’t the problem. There isn’t a problem. Read ars piece. They think it looks incredible and plays like a dream.

• Oriflamme

There is no way any PC game will ever top Witcher 3 as PC’s love baby.

You need to be on THAT level of quality.

• I.S.T.

GTA5?

• Voldenuit

Rockstar banning modders in single player?

Yes, GTA V is a perfect example, but not in the way you think.

I had a solution to Rockstar being ****bags, [i<]yarr[/i<] I did.

• I.S.T.

That’s a thing? Not doubting you, I just don’t have the knowledge.

Also, even then, the rest of the game is very much pumped up for PC release. Whomever worked on the PC version clearly gave a damn.

• Voldenuit

It happened earlier in the release of the game, including [url=http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/gtav-modders-banned-gta-online/undefined/parsec/gtav-modders-banned-gta-online/<]examples like this one[/url<]. Rockstar claimed that the bans were unintentional, and not part of their policy, but the legions of angry Steam users might have had sopmething to do with this. Also, a group who created a separate online space had the developers and some users banned, but that might be a separate issue. By contrast, look what CDPR did with Witcher 3: * GOG and Steam versions, recently introduced cross-buy retroactively * Free mini DLCs (mostly cosmetic) * No microtransactions, no freemium, no purchasable in-game currency * Support for modding on steam workshop and nexus * Mod competitions for contributors XCOM2 is another example of a developer understanding the PC community. Rockstar's actions and attitutes with GTA V (including an opprobriously long console-exclusive period) don't make the grade for me.

• Ninjitsu

In terms of scope, maybe Arma 3.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition was a near-perfect example of why Microsoft shouldn’t be involved with PC gaming at all. It was a gigantic broken promise that committed all the major crimes against PC gaming that we as a demographic complain about when publishers ruin games. The UWP has been a disaster so far and Microsoft have already shown their true colours (using windows gaming as a means to further their non-gaming windows SaaS ambitions and closed-ecosystem profiteering รก la Apple).

Even if GoW4 is a perfect, amazing game – I would be very hesitant to treat the PC version with anything other than outright suspicion and distrust, and promises from a Microsoft-published game developer in the post-GFWL, UWP era hold absolutely no water whatsoever.

• oldog

I bought “recore” from the MS store. It runs great on my PC and my kids play it on the Xbox on the 60″ OLED TV. I believe you may need to “rethink” your opinion.

(By the way “recore” runs much smoother, loads much faster and looks much better on my PC.)

• RAGEPRO

Out of curiosity, can you do both at once? (Play on PC and Xbox.)

There was some confusion about that point when I was writing this.

• LostCat

I believe so, but not with the same MS account logged in on both of course.

• RAGEPRO

But then how does that work? The license is tied to the MS account, right?

• sweatshopking

you can install apps through the windows 10 store on other accounts. All my kids play MC together even though it is on my account. just login to the store, install it from your account, then log out. they login to their xbox on windows and play together.

• ebomb808

You sound jaded. I don’t trust your opinion on this matter.

Jaded, as in tired of this ****? Damn right.

[quote=”Aspect”<]For the last decade they have been promising the same thing every year. [url<]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=88868188#post88868188[/url<] "For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming. 2005 - We care about PC gaming, Longhorn (Vista) to usher in modern PC gaming with "Tray and Play" Vista launches with none of the stuff MS promised, Vista itself sucks the ass of a thousand camels. 2006 - MS: Don't Count PC Games Out MS announces GFWL and how utterly amazing it will be, suckers everywhere rejoice in the eventual ass reaming they don't know is coming yet. 2007 - MS continues PC push MS launches GFWL...and it has a $50 a year fee, and they announce a whole slew of games to include Shadowrun with cross platform play and Gears of War 1! What are you paying for you ask? Jank ass software that crashes and has the most unintuitive updating system known to man. Load a game, game says you need update. Signs you out, downloads update, you jump back in...oh GFWL client has a update too! signs you out, downloads up date and you log back in... MS will shortly thereafter disband Ensemble because MS feels that they're (MS) moving in a different direction! But don't worry we tots <3 you PC gamers. 2008 - MS: PC gaming is A-okay Yea we've looked at some money pie charts and can see that PC gaming brings in billions in revenue. Here is our open letter to how awesome PC gaming is and our promise to support it! We finally put some new titles up on GFWL! Oh and we got rid of the $50 a year fee for GFWL, see we're serious about PC gaming! If that's not a sign of commitment, I don't know what is! 2008 - MS: PC gaming is not dead! Look at this event we're throwing for PC gaming, you think we'd throw this if we didn't truly care about it?! Look at these games that will be on GFWL. We <3 PC gaming. You want fixes for GFWL issues? We'll look into that. 2008 - MS bolsters PC gaming with all new Games for Windows Live! Hey gaiz remember those GFWL client issues you were having...well we didn't fix those per say but....here is the same **** in a slightly newer skin! PROGRESS 2009 - MS: PC gaming still a priority for us! Okay gaiz look, this time we're serious about our upcoming push in PC gaming. It's so vital to us at MS that we give the PC our love and support! 2010 - MS: "We're doubling down on PC gaming By doubling down we mean we're keeping this **** GFWL client around because! We might even throw an update at it to fix the problem of game saves being randomly deleted or rendered worthless...maybe. 2010 - MS Launches Games for Windows Marketplace Hey gaiz, we're making GFWL even better because it's now called Games for Windows Marketplace. Everything is brand new and easy to use, anonymous journalists have even said it's better than Steam. We had 3 interns and a janitor work on this, so you know we're committed! 2010 - MS: Windows 8 is going to relaunch gaming! Hey gaiz, MS again. With Windows 8 we're totally going to put our full weight behind PC gaming just like we promised back in 2006! Pls be excite. 2012 - MS: We won't ditch GFWL! We're committed to PC gaming and we absolutely think GFWL is the best play to get PC games and play with others. Our client is awesome....ly bloated and deletes **** randomly, but that's really one of the charms of PC gaming that we captured! It's a balanced experience! Hope you rike! 2013 - MS to discontinue GFWL Hey gaiz new manager here, so like a bunch of your games might stop working come 2014...but that's okay! We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future! 2013 - MS promises core first party games coming to PC We're so committed we swear! Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked. "[/quote<] This list has continued into W10 and UWP. There is no reason to trust Microsoft; Their only interest in PC gaming is to either milk the games industry for a cut of all sales by artificially closing and locking the [i<]currently-open[/i<] ecosystem or to push you into buying an XBox; [b<]If you can't see that you're a blind optimist.[/b<]

• sweatshopking

You’re obviously anti-ms, and have been for a long time. Don’t want UWP? Then don’t buy it. Don’t buy a Chevy if you don’t like GM. Some of us actually prefer the superior app management, play anywhere, and simple updates. It’s superior to even your beloved monopolisitic steam for basically every thing now. It did launch with some issues, WHICH WERE IMMEDIATELY PATCHED. Steam has literally languished for a decade with subpar everything.

• ebomb808

What exactly am I entrusting them with when I decide to purchase Gears of War 4 on my PC? What is the worst case scenario for me as a consumer attempting to enjoy my purchase? Maybe it might be a time to take a step back, and not get so invested in how they are marketing/branding themselves in the PC space. It’s not good to hold on to anger long-term.

• RAGEPRO

The worst-case scenario is that you are unable to enjoy the game, and thus wasted money.

• sweatshopking

but that’s unlikely given the issues with UWP from a technical standpoint are resolved.

• Firestarter

the notion of a split-screen shooter that I could stream to my TV is pretty exciting to me

• NTMBK

Very happy about the split screen. Might convince me to actually buy this.

• PrincipalSkinner

Absolutely loved the first one. Not releasing 2 and 3 was the dumbest decision ever.
    Hopefully 4 will be just as good.

2 was pretty decent. 3 indicated that the shelf life on the series was approaching fast. The prequel “Judgment” did little to convince me otherwise.

4 is a total revamp with new characters and such, so maybe, we’ll see.

• tipoo

I liked the main trilogy, but I couldn’t even finish Judgement, it was a series of “defend this room” encounters that got repetitive and annoying fast.

• Pettytheft

1 was a good start and 2 improved on everything. 3 just felt uninspired. Technically it was sound but it seemed like there were too many games made in too short of a period. All the 3’s were lackluster last gen. Drakes, Gears, Halo etc..

I loved Uncharted 3. Halo 3 was no worse or better than what came before it, but I wasn’t exactly a big Halo fan.

• kvndoom

But not Half Life!

• renz496

because the need title that exclusive on xbox. so some people have reason to buy them

• I.S.T.

X360 sold like 80 million consoles. GoW2+3 i doubt were THAT important.