EVGA’s G2L LED power supplies want to brighten up your day

Component and peripheral manufacturer EVGA announced a pair of power supply units the company hopes will brighten your day. Because they have LEDs! Meet the EVGA G2L units.

If you glanced at the spec sheet, you'd be excused for thinking the 750W and 820W G2L PSUs are pretty similar to those in EVGA's existing G2 lineup. Both the G2 and G2L are fully modular, single rail, NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire-ready units packed with double ball-bearing fans and Japanese-made solid-state capacitors. Much like their predecessors, G2L units are 80 Plus Gold-certified and come with a 10 year warranty.

The big difference is the L at the end of the G2L model—L for "lights," presumably. Each of the 11 ports on the unit includes a bright white LED that lights up when the port is delivering power.

If you don't always take your case out from under your desk to work on it, the lighting might be a nice benefit. As fans in the EVGA forums were quick to point out, though, we're in an age of RGB LEDs, where everything from our mice and keyboards to our fans and motherboards have programmable RGB lights. It seems strange to offer up white as the only option when they'll clash with so many enthusiast builders' carefully lit cases.

Aside from the lighting, there are a few minor differences. The G2L lacks the Over Temperature Protection of the G2, and is missing a few of the safety certifications as well. While the G2 has a 140mm fan to keep air moving, the G2L's is slightly smaller at 135mm. The G2L also includes one less PCIe power cable and one more SATA power cable. If you're working with a particularly tight build, it's also slightly smaller—165mm long as opposed to the 180mm of the G2.

The G2L series of power supply units is available right now. If you're looking to pick these up, Newegg is offering the G2L 850W for $149.99 and the 750W version for $129.99.

• ronch

I want the inside of my case dark. As in really dark. Unfortunately the cooler I bought came with a fan with those silly LED lights. Ok, fine then. Maybe I’ll pull out those LEDs one of these days but I’m too lazy to do it.

• psuedonymous

“If you don’t always take your case out from under your desk to work on it, the lighting might be a nice benefit. ”

Not really: if it only lights up active ports, then it won’t help at all plugging a cable in: the port will be inactive, so not illuminated!

• moose17145

I have a G2 1000 watt unit which i managed to pick up for cheap a couple of year ago on a Newegg black friday sale. It is a great unit to say the least! That be said… I have to agree with the sentiments of some of the other stating that paying more for fewer important features (like Over Temp protection) is not a good deal. I would say stick with the regular G2 units over this.

That being said… gotta love that 10 year warranty. At least EVGA is sticking by their products with a warranty like that. That was a major selling point for me when I bought my 1000 Watt G2.

• jihadjoe

Pretty fly for a power supply!

[s<]RGB[/s<] WHITE LEDs YO!

• rudimentary_lathe

The EVGA G2 750W is a great power supply (I own it). No idea why anyone would pay more for less features just so they can have white lights. For the difference in price you could just buy a lighting strip or two if you really can’t live without it.

• christos_thski

So for 30 dollars more (that’s a 30% price hike) you get a positively worse 750w PSU on practically all aspects… with some white LEDs.

I LIKE the lights, in contrast to most commenters on techreport, and I still find this freaking hysterical. Just save the cash, buy the G2, and add a led system of your choice.

I even find case windows to be a bad deal. Why have a big old panel with zero sound damping when you can get a foam-backed one that makes things quieter AND cheaper?

Based on the TR poll about case noise, it would seem that people value low noise and case windows means no sound-absorbing material. I honestly don’t mind backlit peripherals or things you can see, but the case should be on the floor as far from your ears as possible with a desk to baffle any noise in the way, IMO. RGB components and case lights are so 90’s.

• juzz86

Lights in the unit I can tolerate.

Lights at the expense of safety features and ports? For shame.

• Srsly_Bro