Asus ROG GL702VM laptops offer svelte speed

The move to FinFET fabrication for graphics processors has really opened up the options in the laptop gaming market. While some vendors like Eurocom are taking advantage of the new efficiency to stuff ever faster hardware into laptops, Asus is hunting in the middle ground between speed and power with its new ROG Strix GL702VM slim gaming laptop.

Gaming laptops that don't mimic cinderblocks in more ways than one have hardly been suited for the 'gaming' appellation until recently. At first sight, these new ROG Strix laptops aren't exactly tiny. The GL702VM uses a 17.3" 1920×1080 G-Sync display, which of course necessitates that the chassis be a certain size. Despite the large display, though, the GL702VM weighs just six pounds and is under an inch thick at its thickest point when closed. Asus doesn't say which panel tech the display uses, though it says that viewing angles should be fairly wide.

Asus packs a pretty good amount of power into that one inch of thickness. The GL702VM's Core i7-6700HQ is a quad-core, eight-thread CPU that can hit 3.5 GHz under Turbo boost. 16GB of DDR4-2133 memory come as standard equipment, as does a 6GB GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card. The graphics chip in that card is the same one found in the desktop versions of the GTX 1060 6GB, too.

Our commentors have been eager to point out that these chips will face thermal issues in laptops they generally would not in desktops. Asus steps out in front of that concern by stating that the GL702VM includes a specialized triple-fan cooling system with separate fans and radiators for the CPU and GPU. The third fan is designed to spin up during periods of lengthy GPU load, and should help the GP106 processor maintain its boost clocks.

The GL702VM comes in two variations, DB71 and DB74. The only difference between them pertains the storage configuration. Normally, the machine includes a 1TB HDD as its only storage device and is priced at $1,399. For an extra $200, Asus will install a 256GB SATA SSD. Regardless of which version you pick, the laptop includes a USB 3.1 Type-C port with Thunderbolt support alongside three USB 3.0 connectors, a mini-DisplayPort, and an HDMI output. Asus says the GL702VM is available immediately.

• ronch

I’m not really all for mobile gaming but I’d love that svelte black design with Carizzo or Bristol inside.

• zqw

LOL at Photoshopped VR headset with the nose cutout not facing his nose:

[url<]https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/products/And0kom3y45pZcVP/img/17/fg.jpg[/url<]

• GatoRat

How about dropping the HDD completely? And $200 for a 256GB SSD? Highway robbery.

• Meadows

“equipament”?

• RAGEPRO

Fixed. Thanks. 🙂

• Kretschmer

Also, would it kill these companies to release a gaming unit without red highlights, a garish logo, and “gaming” on the lid? I like to be able to pull professional/personal double duty with my laptops and would be willing to pay more to leave off the RGB/accents/angles/etc. This was an issue with my last laptop: a handsome/otherwise-conservative MSI GS60 sunk by a giant “GAMING G SERIES” logo on the lid.

People over 20 have much more purchasing power than the Fisher Price crowd.

• morphine

People over 20 [i<]are[/i<] purchasing these. That's why they're popular.

• Neutronbeam

Duct Tape–there’s nothing it can’t do.

• Meadows

The cringy “republic of gamers” logo placed prominently below the screen is enough reason for me never to buy one of these.

You have to get used to cringing if you buy any of the RGB-lit, G4MERZ products on the market these days.

You can get the same spec and build quality from Dell/HP for the same money, only it won’t be embarassing to own. I have a super dull Dell with a GTX960M and 6700HQ in matte black with no branding other than a gloss-black on matte-black logo on the lid and a keyboard with boring old white backlighting.

[url=https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2000x2000/dell_i7559_5012gry_inspiron_i7_6700hq_8gb_1tb_windows_10_15_6_grey_1187912.jpg<]It's funny how over-the-top bling makes ridiculously boring designs like this seem attractive again[/url<]

• Vhalidictes

Sagernotebook.com -> no funky extra branding.

• zqw

Our Sagers have light up pointly LEDs in the lid. You can animate the color! 🙂

(…or turn them off, to be fair.)

• Pax-UX

I like the way they show me which keys I need to use to move my character around.

• BIF

I actually don’t mind LED keys as long as I wasn’t forced to buy only red. I would pass on dragon or Cerberus-themed paint stencil ink.

It’s a step in the right direction but I can tell you from a lot of experience that the 6700HQ and a GPU over 75W is not going to give you a quiet laptop if it’s that thin.

I have seen several (Clevo, Gigabyte, Dell, Asus) laptops with good cooling (dual or triple-fan) in this sort of form factor with either 65W GTX960M or 75W GTX970M and they run noisy the instant the GPU is loaded.

The laptop GTX 1060 seems to run at the same clocks as the desktop which implies a 120W board power, but let’s presume these are either downclocked slightly, cherry-picked for efficiency or [i<]both[/i<] - which means we're talking maybe 90-100W. That's still far too much to be a good fit for this thickness of laptop, IMO.

• zqw

Actually 160-170W at the wall for mobile 1060 and quad i7 under load. You’re absolutely right that it’s too thin and will throttle. But, I think the aesthetics really boost sales.

There are thicker ones that can handle it. We’re stress testing a 15in Sager with 1070 for VR work. It never will thermal throttle, but fans run more often than in the 980 gtx laptops that we are trying to replace because they’re 10lb, plus a 10lb power brick. Literally.

• Kromis

The article states that the laptop has the 6GB version of the GTX 1060 but the spec sheet on Newegg says its only 3GB?

• RAGEPRO

Asus’ press release does say 6GB for both versions. I just triple-checked.

• kurazarrh

Keep in mind, folks, that Asus has a troubling tendency to use video cards that don’t conform to the MXM standard, so if you want a laptop that has even a little potential for upgrades, you’ll probably want to look elsewhere. As much as I enjoy Asus products myself, I’m saddled with an older gaming laptop that has perfectly serviceable CPU and RAM for my needs today, but my GPU stopped being useful in late 2013 (I have a 2011-era G53SW with a GTX 460M).

• vargis14

Having a MXM video card is great and all since it can potentially be upgraded..BUT have you ever tried to find a MXM format card for a laptop that does not cost half as much as the laptop your trying to upgrade.
      Availability of MXM cards worthy for a Upgrade usually costs way way more then it is worth. IMHO

This. Changing an MXM module is far more complicated that slotting a PCIe card into a desktop;

There are firmware compatibility issues.
        There are cooling compatibility issues.
        There are different versions of MXM which change from generation to generation.
        There are huge costs
        MXM availability is dreadful in the consumer retail channel
        MXM costs are exhorbitant in the consumer retail channel.

[i<]Even if[/i<] you manage to avoid all those problems and end up with an upgraded GPU in your laptop, you still have an old laptop that's likely already used up a good chunk of its warranty span, and good luck not voiding your warranty with the MXM replacenent in the first place!

• Acidicheartburn

I think if you’re at the point where you’re upgrading the GPU in your laptop, the warranty is long since past its date anyhow.

• chµck

To be honest, my only gripe about the lack of MXM is not being able to sell the card when I want to upgrade to a new laptop.

• Bomber

Impressive…this thing is 17″ and lighter than my Alienware 14. Of course, it does mimic cinder block…but damn.

• Kretschmer

The cooling sounds very strong, but 17″ is a hell of a laptop. I wonder what they could fit into the 15.6″ form factor?

• Growler

Personally, my last three laptops have all been 17″, and I don’t think I could be satisfied with anything smaller going forward. That’s mostly because I don’t really lug them around frequently. I love the screen real estate and the 10-key.

• Kretschmer

There is no right answer here. I’ve owned a 15.6″ gaming laptop (5lbs?) and 13″ ultrabook (3lbs?) recently and could work with either. 17″ is just too large for me to easily sling around (due to the volume – I’d be fine with a 13″ 6lbs unit, thinness being equal).

• mnemonick

You want the [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834234299/<]GL502[/url<]. Sadly (for me at least) it only offers a TN panel, which I assume is the same for the GL702. Edit: The 17" is an IPS display, my bad!

• kenn_adayo

Hi. How did you confirm thatGL702VM has IPS panel?

• BIF

Like Growler, I don’t want to use a smaller laptop. The work laptop is 15″ and I find it too small, especially since it is high resolution.

For me, 17″ is minimum for a laptop. I’d even go to 19″ if 17 wasn’t already almost too big to put under the seat in front of me on a 757.

I’ll be looking at Saeger and Eurocom when it comes time for me to pull the trigger.