Samsung Note7 replacements arriving at U.S. stores

The wait may be over for U.S. Galaxy Note7 owners waiting for replacements for their smokin' hot devices. Samsung has announced it safely landed 500,000 Note7 replacements devices to be distribute to "carrier and retail stores" around the country, contrary to earlier reports.

The company says users should be able to hit a retail location and get their handsets replaced in situ starting today. Note7 owners concerned about using their pre-recall handsets should be able to sleep a little easier in the meantime. Samsung has fired up a software update in the U.S. region that will cap the handset's battery's capacity to 60% and add a green charging indicator to let users know they're safe.

The battery indicator isn't the only software-side measure that Samsung took. In tandem with the ongoing CPSC voluntary recall, Samsung posted a software update with a nag screen warmly greeting users owners of affected devices and asking them to visit Samsung's site or ring up a toll-free number.

Just in case some stubborn users aren't warming up to the idea of exchanging their phones, Samsung is reaching out to them through various other means, "including direct communications, customer service, social media, marketing, and in-store commmunications."

• trackerben

Take Note, it’s Samsung smoke

[url<]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37454436[/url<] Plane crew douse smoking Samsung phone

I pretty much hate Samsung phones because of Touchwiz, and the fact that they think they can charge Apple prices for plastic hardware and get away with it (they can and do, but I don’t have to like it)

In saying that, Samsung are going all out here on replacing a defective product at their own cost. It’s obviously good for their PR to be seen making such an effort, but I can think of other companies that would have swept this under the rug and done the bare minimum.

• HERETIC

You mean like head in sand-and “only a few products are affected”
      and deleting forum posts that even suggest a problem to keep RDF up.

Don’t be silly, you’d have to be crazy to think that’s going to iWork.

And people would know because unbiased sites like [i<]The Verge[/i<] would uncover such shady behaviour.

• CaptTomato

I’m sorry, but this is ABSURD.
      Samsung Note 7/S7/S7edge are the best or the top 3 in these categories….

1…Screen, undisputed no1, and don’t tell me anything about excess contrast, it’s a “torch” mode that can be dialed out to produce the best PQ
      2…All metal and glass construction, easily the best or top 3, no plastic, sorry that’s the bad ole days.
      3….specs, all top notch.
      4…Camera, IMO, the best ever, and made Iphone 6 look silly.
      5….Touchwiz on the Note 7 IMO is the best ever, I draw this conclusion after watching scores of video’s on other flagships and owning 2 samsung devices….that said, touchwiz on both S7 and especially S7edge are also the best, but they added some additional power saving modes that give note 7 the win.
      6….waterproof.
      7….SD card slot.
      8 epic battery size and performance in all 3 models.

The absurdity here is that APPLE can charge their OBSCENE prices and people are silly enough to buy INFERIOR products{as compared to Samsung especially}.

The Note 3 is plastic and was expensive
        The S5 is plastic and was expensive
        Samsung have only just moved off the plastic bandwagon after half a decade of taking the mickey.

Regardless of your list of points, you’re not denying touchwiz which was the only other point I made against Samsung.
        I get it, you’re a huge Samsung fan, but a lot of people (myself included) abhor Touchwiz. It’s a stupid, needless fork of the Android UI that just intruduces security holes, delays update rollouts, and moves stuff around for no obvious reason.

• CaptTomato

You say plastic as though it’ll melt in the sun, the fact is, it’s strong stuff that also facilitated removable batteries….but I totally accept that the market wants fashion built into their phones just as they rejected bulkly plasma for INFERIOR edge lit LCD.

The Note 3 was probably one of the greatest phones, granted liking a large screen helps…as for S5 and cost, S5 is still a great phone with it’s power, SD card slot, decent camera and removable battery, plus, the UNDISPUTED no1 screen.

I don’t care if YOU don’t like touchwiz, all I’m saying is that the internet reaction against it is absurd unless you have legitimate grounds to dislike it, I don’t, but perhaps you do, but as I said, both the S7 edge and especially the Note7 have the best SOFTWARE ever IMO.

• kamikaziechameleon

Exploding batteries asside, Samsung has some phones that will eat the apple design for lunch.

• blastdoor

Just so long as you don’t actually try using it. Then you might notice the performance is kind of pathetic:

[url<]https://youtu.be/k_PK_6F_Bhk[/url<] The iris scanner is a silly gimmick that people won't use. The edge-to-edge screen is legitimately kinda cool, but not a very big deal. Really, the best argument Samsung has to offer is the 3.5 mm jack. But I'm starting to get the sense that maybe it's not as big of an issue for regular people as I had imagined.

• RAGEPRO

Dunno.

It means I’ll never have an iPhone 7. It’s just a complete non-starter for me. You might as well try to sell me a headset with no physical mute switch. Or a self-driving car with no manual controls. Or graphics card with only Thunderbolt connections.

Nope. Just not happening.

• blastdoor

Have you ever owned an iPhone? In other words, were you really ever a potential customer in the first place?

• NeoForever

Are you saying the only potential customers for iPhone are ones that have owned an iPhone before? Interesting…

• blastdoor

I am just trying to figure out if this individual would have been a potential customer even without the audio jack issue .

So my first question was off target/poorly stated. It’s really the second question.

• torquer

Samsung will eliminate the audio jack eventually, guaranteed

• hansmuff

The Apple CPU is very fast, that’s been a strength for a long time now. That it beats a SD820 isn’t surprising since it’s a newer design. But just because it’s faster doesn’t make the Note 7 slow or pathetic.

• DarkUltra

Yup Samsung wins this round with an audio jack, physical home button, OLED display and bsck and task list touch buttons.

those last two things are on every Android phone. And it’s not like you can’t do those things on iOS, they’re just done differently.

• morphine

It’s awfully quiet here. No hot jokes?

• Ari Atari

I think everyone is burned out by now.

• morphine

There we go 🙂

• Wirko

Charges to 60%, says 85%. That’s a joke, albeit a cold one.

• Devils41

Why not be the first and fire some out?

The hot joke is that Apple never did a similar recall.

I guess Apple just cried “[url=https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+set+my+pants+on+fire<]liar liar pants on fire[/url<]" and nobody believed that iPhones were really faulty or dangerous.

In that search result, I see three separate incidents and a bunch of repeating of the same 3 incidents. Over the course of two years. That’s totally the same.

I guess the RDF has worked on you; There are 17 full pages of results. Duplicates included that’s more than three incidents.

If you can’t even count facts when they’re staring you in the face, I think the iZealot brainwashing has worked well.

Yeah, you’re totally capable of having a civil conversation on this topic.

The rate at which this happened to Samsung (around 90 incidents in the US in around 3 weeks) would be nearly 1600 a year. If that was happening to Apple, we’d know it.

I’m not arguing that. I’m arguing that you specifically narrowed down 17 pages of results to the number 3. It’s obvious even from the first page that there are more than 3.

Who’s being unreasonable, seriously?