Rumor: Google to showcase mesh networking router soon

Android Police has published some speculation that Google will introduce a new Wi-Fi router under the name Google Wifi (sic) at the company's hardware launch event on October 4. The rumor mill suggests the new router will have the ability to team up with other identical units to form a mesh network, similar to eero and Luma Surround.

Google's new router is said to offer AC1200 speeds, Bluetooth and 802.15.4 connectivity (the protocol underlying ZigBee and MiWi), and polished setup and operation. The company has stuck its toe into the wireless router market before with the OnHub devices manufactured by TP-Link and Asus. OnHub devices added IoT and home automation flair to the standard wireless router formula, but lacked the mesh features highlighted in today's rumors.

Android Police speculates Google Wifi will be offered for $129. For the sake of comparison, a single eero mesh router costs $199, a pair rings in at $349, and a three-pack retails for $499.

A second article at Android Police offers unsubstantiated claims about two other upcoming Google hardware releases. Google Home, an Amazon Echo competitor announced in May, is rumored to be priced at $129. Meanwhile, the Chromecast Ultra, alleged to be a 4K and HDR-capable Google Cast device, could be released at $69. That price is twice the cost of a Full HD-capable Chromecast.

• Arclight

Wouldn’t the point of a mesh network be defeated if the hardware is from the likes of companies like Google?

• sweatshopking

are we still having huge wifi problems? I bought a semi decent router for 70$ and it does my entire house very well, and performs beautifully. I don’t get why anyone would invest 400$ in a mesh system. seems like a problem fixed already.

• Ninjitsu

Aren’t you asking two different questions though? A mesh is for redundancy and fault tolerance. One would want a mesh router because one wants a mesh network.

EDIT: So the question then becomes, why would one want a mesh network at home? I have no clue, but I assume an SME of some sort could benefit.

• moog

Just seems like a Google scheme to collect user data.

I’m not sure mesh networks at home have any significant practical benefits over standard Wifi.

• davidbowser

Although I don’t own one, I have heard good things about the Ubiquiti AmpliFi as a home mesh router. I have Ubiquiti networking gear for my house and it has been great.

PCMag did a review of the HD model at $350, but they also have an entry level model (including 2 mesh points) is $200.

TL/DR – it was the overall best mesh router they have tested so far.

[url<]http://www.pcmag.com/review/347914/ubiquiti-amplifi-hd-home-wi-fi-system[/url<]

• The Dark One

I was going to say it was weird that you didn’t mention that a router from Google with 802.15.4 functionality was expected to support [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(network_protocol)<]Thread[/url<], but this [i<]is[/i<] Google we're talking about. They've made more baffling choices in the past.

• albundy

so its just another wifi ac router with bridging capabilities? am i missing something? the bluetooth is nice if there’s an optical out or audio out jack to hook up to receivers.

• tipoo

Remember the promised updates to Onhub? Good times, good times.

I love a good experimental company, but man, does Google need ritalin sometimes

• Voldenuit

Read the headline as: “Google to showcase ‘meh’ networking router soon”, and thought: “at least they’re honest”.

• NeoForever