Lenovo lays off another round of Motorola employees

Motorola's woes continue. Lenovo, which acquired Motorola from Google in 2014, laid off some of the phone maker's staff last summer after some troubling financial reports, and now the pink slips have shown up again. Despite some positive buzz from the Moto X, Moto G, and Moto Z families of smartphones, Lenovo has decided to lay off much of its Chicago-based Motorola staff. The layoffs will purportedly affect over half of the phone manufacturer's remaining workforce.

Droid Life shared a statement from Motorola which confirms the "resource action." The company didn't provide exact numbers, but indicated that the layoffs affect less than 2% of its 55,000 employees across the globe. Lenovo claims that the positions are being eliminated as part of its continuing efforts to integrate Motorola into its business. The company did quash any rumors that the remaining positions might be relocated, claiming that Lenovo is "absolutely committed to Chicago."

This is hardly the first time that Motorola has lost employees in recent years. Android Police notes that Motorola had about 20,000 employees in 2012, the year after the company was acquired by Google. After the current round of pink slips, Motorola will have about 500 employees, meaning that 97.5% of its workforce has been laid off in the last four years.

• The Swamp

Well, I guess that means I’m definitely not going to get any map updates for my Motorola Motonav TN765T. The most recent map I have is Q3 2009. It’s really a nice GPS with some great hardware, but Motorola literally released their line of GPS units and promptly abandoned support for them. I don’t think manufacturer support lasted one whole year. Navteq makes the maps for it, but they too have washed their hands of Motorola. Hoping there is something I can do with the unit. Any suggestions?

• kamikaziechameleon

Known some people who got the Axe, its a sad story. I get the bottom line thinking to an extent. But Layoff’s to address say bloat and mismanagement is one thing if you have a formative vision. But lenovo is simply thinking cut expensive jobs and replace with cheap jobs in cheap markets assuming talent and culture don’t have values in and of themselves.

Really though google selling Motorola is them showing their lack of bravery. There is a difference in that indistinct phone we carry. Its why apple does so well while not even looking distinct anymore. The hardware and marriage of it with the software creates a better experience.

Not saying that google needs to have a closed platform but they need to do a more consistent job of establishing good product standards with 1st party offerings.

• GatoRat

Too bad. The Moto E is the most comfortable smartphone I’ve used.

• oldog

In your back pocket when your sitting?

• jihadjoe

That’d be the iPhone 6+, because it bends to follow the contour of your butt just like memory foam.

Oh no.
    Samsung is becoming the face of Android. It’s enough to make you turn to Apple!

• Ninjitsu

Still have OnePlus…

• Jigar

You’ve not heard of Xiaomi and LeEco ? They are the new hotness in India and serious headache for Samsung.

I can see how Xiaomi is a problem for Samsung, and also for Apple. High-end specs at a much lower price is great. You won’t see them selling phones in litigious regions like Europe and North America, though, because Apple will sue them into Bolivia.

• rudimentary_lathe

It’s too bad Lenovo bought Motorola, as they make some quality value phones like the Moto G. I have trust issues with Lenovo for a while, and that certificate fiasco put me off from buying anything Lenovo, period. So that means no Motorola phones for me.

• chµck

Perfect analogy for americans in the workforce…

• blastdoor

I think this is a nice visualization of Motorola’s experiences over the last 10 years:

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc8ngiMlCto[/url<] First there's the brief illusion of success, followed by a painful fall, followed by the illusion of rescue, followed by a painful fall....

• WhatMeWorry

“Except Apple and Samsung there is no third strong (global) player. I believe that will be Lenovo.”

Translation: We can be the Dr. Pepper/Mt. Dew of the Coke and Pepsi world.

• RAGEPRO

Mtn Dew (yes, that’s what it’s called now) is a Pepsi product.

Dr. Pepper was good though.

Lenovo is like RC Cola. That stuff’s nasty, much like Lenovo’s PC security and Android update track records.

• morphine

Yesterday when I just read the link, I was joking around saying that “oh look, Lenovo fired the last two people in Moto’s phone update team.”

Then I read the news.

No, I’m not making this up.

• designerfx

Still faster updates than samsung/lg/htc. 😛

• willmore

What update? They haven’t had a non-security release in months.

• tipoo

Le sigh. Motorola under Google was the chosen one. The first gen X and G picked imo near perfect form factors, with a nice curved back and the dimple right where your pointer rests. Timely software updates and decent support. So little bloat that even the teeny SoC’ed G felt quick. The leather on the next gen one also aged very nicely.

[url<]http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/04/moto-x-leather-1-year-in/[/url<] And then Lenovo attacked with their Lenovo machines. Googles ADHD didn't help.

• Thrashdog

God, I loved my second-gen Moto X to death. It fit in your hand just right, looked classy, and the ambient display features were so much better-implemented than they are on the Nexus line. I’ve got a Nexus 6P right now that I just don’t love as much, but unfortunately I gave my X to my girlfriend, who promptly dropped it and shattered the screen. There’s no going back, and with Lenovo eviscerating Motorola, there’s no going forward, either.

ETA: Come to think of it, a decade ago I bought one of the last IBM-designed (though at that point Lenovo-manufactured) ThinkPads. I loved that machine too, and if it hadn’t succumbed to [url=http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1736698/nvidia-settles-bumpgate-class-action-lawsuit<]NVidia Bumpgate[/url<]-related GPU failure I might still be using it as a general farting-around machine. It's a shame to see how far that once-proud line of products has fallen under Lenovo's direction, too.

• tipoo

“unfortunately I gave my X to my girlfriend, who promptly dropped it and shattered the screen.”

Does this also sound familiar?
        “My 6 month old phone is all scratched up and has a hairline crack”
        “The one you throw in your purse with your keys and throw the purse around every day of the year?”
        “Yeah!”
        ಠ_ಠ

• blastdoor

This is one of the good things about selling smartphones — even if we reach a point where there is little reason to upgrade in terms of features/performance, the rapid deterioration of devices due to wear and tear ensures the continuation of the upgrade cycle.

• kamikaziechameleon

Stewardship… such an alien notion to the average american.

• Anonymous Coward

I think Lenovo has managed to stop themselves before they totally destroyed the Thinkpad line. The W540 and/or W550 made some obvious generic-laptop mistakes (and I guess so did other Thinkpad models at the time), but I think that was the low point, new stuff like the P-series appears good to me.

I’ve had a [i<]lot[/i<] of Thinkpads over the past 8 years, my newest is a W530 but in the office I see plenty of newer and smaller models. Pretty pleased to skip W540 and W550, have to say.

• DrDominodog51

Rule 51: Always leave during the first round of cuts when you still can negotiate your termination benefits.

• willmore

I did that from Motorola and I can confirm your advice.

• NeelyCam

And before the second round of cuts will saturate the job market with laid off folks.

• davidbowser

And if you survive the first round, you must start looking for a new job immediately while you have the luxury of taking your time to get the right next job.

• chµck

What are rules 1-50?

• DrDominodog51

Rule 1: Don’t talk about the _____ ____.
        Rule 2: Always carry a pocket knife.
        Rule 3: Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

I just chose a random number roughly where that belongs on a scale of inportance.

• kamikaziechameleon

Don’t forget rule number one, Jobs suck, start a business! 🙂

Well, sure, fire all the Americans since Motorola is just a name, and pay people pennies on the dollar in China since that’s where Lenovo is based. I think everyone saw this coming.

• tfp

The more things change the more they stay the same.

spoken like someone who would know. 😉

• LoneWolf15

And then cut support to the bone, features that Motorola sold phones with (since hey, you fired the dev team), and the quality of your global repair process (ask how many Nexus 6 owners feel bent over and given the shaft by Moto worldwide repair). Thereby neutering everything that made Motorola Motorola, and making the brand worthless.

Way to go, Lenovo. The one non-Nexus Android phone brand I’d have wanted, and you ripped the heart out of it.

• kamikaziechameleon

Well just look how they manhandle the thinkpad brand. Its superficially a thinkpad product.

They are a bottom line no vision company.