NZXT joins the tempered-glass party with the S340 Elite

We haven't had our hands on NZXT's S340, but our friends at TechPowerUp were very fond of the case when it launched in 2014. That mid-tower ATX case features a minimalist exterior design that gives way to a surprisingly feature-filled interior. Now, NZXT is bringing out the S340 Elite, which discards the metal-and-plastic side panel of the original case for a sheet of tempered glass.

NZXT has a reputation for simple designs with clean lines, and the S340 Elite continues that tradition. Stated less charitably, the S340 Elite is a black box with a glass window on the side. That simplicity will probably appeal to many gerbils who have complained in the past about cases that resemble transformers. Similarly, folks tired of RGB glare and bright colors will appreciate the simple matte black or white of the S340 Elite, although NZXT does offer a version of the black case with red accents.

It's what's inside that counts, of course. The cable management bar and power supply shroud come over from the original model, but this time around NZXT also includes some clamps to hold cables in place. The new case gains an extra 2.5" drive mount on the power supply shroud, and the company is also including a magnetic "puck" that will attach to the exterior of the steel case. NZXT says the puck is designed to help with exterior cable management, or to allow users to hang headsets or VR head-mounted devices from it.

Speaking of VR, the S340 Elite will include a front-panel HDMI port. This is the first time we've seen this feature on a stand-alone chassis, and it could be a significant convenience for VR gamers. NZXT also includes two 120-mm fans—one in the top and one at the rear of the case. Folks with a need for more cooling can install two 120-mm or 140-mm fans at the front of the case or swap out the stock top fan for a 140-mm spinner. The S340 also offers mounts for two 3.5" storage devices or three 2.5" drives.

NZXT says the matte black version of the S340 Elite is available now for $99, while the black-and-red and white versions of the case are available for pre-order for US customers.

• killadark

Problem with the huge windows is they are not scratch proof one scratch in the center and it looks ugly 😀

• ozzuneoj

Wow… normally I’m the type to cling kicking and screaming to outdated things like 5 1/4″ drive bays… but this system looks great without them, and is amazingly open inside.

I thoroughly DESPISE modern 5 1/4 drives because they tend to start acting up after only a couple years with little use. My current drive has started randomly spinning up and seeking with nothing in the drive and I installed it barely two years ago. I buy different brands every time and they still end up with various mechanical problems with minimal use.

After having used laptop style slim optical drives more in recent years, I am totally ready to just replace internal drives with externals that last far longer. I can scalp a drive out of a dead laptop for free and buy a $10 USB enclosure on Amazon and have something that will outlast 4 brand new name brand 5 1/4″ drives.

If manufacturers are unable to make a decent reliable optical drive any more, then I say good riddance. Make my case smaller without actually losing any internal space and give me more places for fans.

• CScottG

This is probably the premium case I’ll start recommending..

• juzz86

As long as the systems you’re recommending for don’t need a ton of air, it’s a good-sized cheap choice – and surprisingly easy to build in. That cable tidy bar is a good idea.

If they need to breathe a bit harder than the average home PC though – skip it. Similar to the H440, the S340 has a lot of trouble with keeping higher-performance gear cool without the front off.

• oldog

Seems like a lot of empty space in this case but then again space is the “final frontier”.

• DPete27

What’s the deal with the tray that the headphone/mic ports sit in? Dust/debris catcher?

• killadark

Not sure what u mean the headphone jack is up top along with the USB and the tray u may be referring to is the vent for front fans perhaps

• RAGEPRO

Not sure why you got downvoted, as you’re correct.

I think DPete27 is confusing those three large black ugly screw heads just inside the air intake for ports that actually hold the port block in place at the front of the case.

They certainly ruin the aesthetics of the white top and front, but IMO this case looks better in black anyway since the white internals contrast against the black internals badly – ie, they show off the cheap rivet construction and every hole/screw/tie-down point.

I’m also not convinced by any of these tempered glass cases because the glass is secured by big ole’ bolts that protrude from the side. In Win get away with it on their 900-series by having the most rigid, flex-free chassis I’ve seen in years. The S340 is not anything like as tough as that and I’m just thinking that this is a flimsy* case trying to support a huge heavy slab of glass.

* – The S340 is still sturdier than a lot of cheap Corsair/Fractal/Bitfenix though.

Looks like the perfect spot to spill a drink.

• Wildchild

Wish this was around when I bought my 340 last year. Still one of the nicest cases I’ve used and can’t beat the price.

Cable management is awesome and is easily my cleanest build.

• RoxasForTheWin

I have the original version of this case, you get what you pay for (60$ flimsy side panels, window is very easy to scratch)

An issue I had with the case is that I had to remove the top mounted IO ports to put in my cryorig a80 AIO and now have to use the motherboard for my USB doings.

• xeridea

Looks kind of dull

• tsk

Most ATX cases do, mITX is where it’s at.

• drfish

Perfect.

It’s intentionally dull so that it doesn’t upstage your psychadellic disco-light motherboard and RGB,CMYK, infra-violet fan array on your fully-programmable waterblock, which itself is anodized in a pearlescent [url=http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Octarine<]Octarine[/url<]. If it doesn't quite fit your theme, carpet the insides of the case with an old Global Hypercolor T-Shirt 😉