BIO-key fingerprint readers let users get in touch with Microsoft Hello

Three new fingerprint readers compatible with the Windows Hello biometric login management technology baked into Windows 10's Anniversary Update are now available from the Microsoft Store, courtesy of BIO-key International. Two of the readers are dongles designed for use with laptops and tablets. The third device has a cable and should work well with desktop systems.

Microsoft claims that users can log into Windows using a fingerprint reader in two seconds, a figure that the company claims is a three-fold improvement compared to the average password entry time. Authenticating oneself this way lets users take advantage of Hello's purported "enterprise-grade security" without the need to type in a password. Windows Hello works with a variety of biometric inputs, including cameras, iris sensors, and fingerprint readers like BIO-key's.

All three USB fingerprint readers are available for $40 from the online Microsoft Store, as well as the Microsoft Store's brick-and-mortar locations. The devices work with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, but the Windows Hello feature requires Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update. If alternative authentication standards like those proposed by the FIDO Alliance become more popular, it might be handy to have one of these dongles around to prove your identity to the secure websites of the future with Windows Hello.

From a security standpoint, the webcam recognition is far more secure than the fingerprint reader and doesn’t need an additional peripheral.

I’m actually quite impressed by how good Microsoft Hello is – it doesn’t work on photos of your face, and it apparently can distinguish the difference between identical twins with the same facial structure and features.

• DragonDaddyBear

Microsoft’s camera technology is no doubt impressive. It’s not as simple as having a webcam, though. The Hello feature also requires a depth sensing technology (i.e. Intel RealSense).

These fingerprint readers are not the same quality that you would find in military or industrial applications. Some of those can detect pulses, size and other biometric measures. Determining which is more secure is going to depend on the specific product and implementation.

• oldog

I keep black tape over my laptop’s webcam.

• Pwnstar

Old, eh?

• oldog

Older than Zuckerberg, that’s for sure.

• VincentHanna

Considering how easy they are to hack, everyone should do this.

• BoilerGamer

Too bad you can’t always get windows hello webcam on the windows laptop you have/want, that’s where these fingerprint sensors(espically the short ones) come in handy.

I have a RealSense Webcam on my Desktop and Hello works flawlessly, but my XPS15 don’t have a compatiable cam so I had to buy a $25 usb fingerprint sensor to get Hello on it. Now I could have bought the SurfaceBook and have a compatible cam but the battery life, CPU/GPU power and screen size just wasn’t there.

• CuttinHobo

Double post. Thank you, shaky Wi-Fi at work.

• CuttinHobo

Biometric authentication is convenient, but how about when that data is stolen in yet another security breach? :/

• DragonDaddyBear

What I don’t like about this is it’s not really “universal.” Sure, it works on my computer but not my phone. That’s why I really wish FIDO would take off. The Yubi Key NEO (https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/yubikey-neo/) looks like a really neat concept. It’s NFC and USB, very handy.

• christos_thski

Nice to see some touch fingerprint readers for desktop pcs at long last. Most readers I found were older swipe technology with questionable support for newer windows versions.