Razer revamps Kraken headsets with big drivers and metal bodies

Razer is revamping its line of Kraken headsets in time for this fall's big rush of games. The company's engineers are bringing bigger audio drivers, a new body design, and some other tweaks aimed at the competitive gaming scene to both the Razer Kraken V2 and the Razer Kraken 7.1 V2.

The Kraken V2 headset is a stereo deal with a 3.5-mm audio jack and in-line audio controls, while the Kraken 7.1 V2 is a USB headset featuring 7.1 virtual surround sound, LED lighting, and a microphone with active noise cancellation. Both headsets are getting 50-mm audio drivers this time around—20 percent larger than the previous generation—that Razer says will deliver better sound quality.

Both headsets will also feature a new "aluminum unibody" and redesigned headband. Razer says these changes should make for a more durable and more comfortable set of cans compared to that of the plastic body of the original Kraken headsets. The ear cushions have been tweaked to provide better sound isolation, as well. The headsets include circular over-the-ear cups, but oval-shaped cups can be ordered separately and swapped in to fit a user's preferences.

From where we're sitting, these headsets look to be improvements over their predecessors in just about every respect. Razer plans to release the Kraken headsets in October, and it's already accepting pre-orders for the Kraken V2. The Kraken V2 will retail for $79.99, and the Kraken 7.1 V2 will go for $99.99.

• synthtel2

Ignore this double post, my internet is garbage today.

• synthtel2

[quote<]Both headsets are getting 50-mm audio drivers this time around—20 percent larger than the previous generation—that Razer says will deliver better sound quality.[/quote<] Why does anyone bother advertising driver diameters in headphones? It's certainly not correlated with quality enough to be useful in any purchasing decisions. It seems like a megapixel-race kind of thing that's not going to end well.

• DoomGuy64

About time Razer steps up it build quality. I’d still wait for reviews to be sure.

• Voldenuit

Also, round earholes on the foam pads? That’s bound to press your ears flat. Grados do that, and they always hurt my ears after a while.

Most other sensible headphones have ear- or slit- shaped holes in the foam.

I am able to wear headphones for several hours when the entirety of my outer ear fits inside the foam pads, with the foam resting on my skull and not my ear cartilage. When they don’t, about an hour is all I can take before I need a long break from headphone-wearing.

Why heaphone earpads are sized to fit the driver and not the human ear is a mystery, but whatever, I’ll keep ignoring headphones that squash my ears uncomfortably.

Actually I’ll just ignore all headphones until my HD580’s finally die, so don’t worry about me, I’m sorted.

• shaq_mobile

My 580s are still kicking, despite copious biking accidents and 12 years of (ab)use. Their resilience actually convinced me to buy 650s. Anyone in the market for long lasting, high Fi headphones should consider them, IMO. I wish they still sold 580s. 🙁

Side note, if you do plan on sennheiser headphones, invest in an amp.

• Voldenuit

The (old) razer krakens did really badly in a recent pcgamer roundup:
    [url<]http://www.pcgamer.com/we-tested-23-mainstream-gaming-headsets-to-find-the-best/3/[/url<] So... I guess the only place to go is up? I got a pair of Steelseries Siberia 350s and have been very happy with them for gaming and even audio use. They have a different character than the Senn HD555s I have (on which I have performed the 595 mod), but aren't significantly worse (which is high praise, in my book). EDIT: Edited to clarify that the tests were done on the older models (duh, since they were done in early 2016)

• Peter.Parker

[quote<] Razer plans to release the Kraken... [/quote<] I guess ye HAD t' say it, di'nae ye?

• Neutronbeam

What? It’s a Kraken good line.

• chuckula