Biostar races into pockets with the Racing P1 mini-PC

Most gerbils probably know Biostar more from its motherboards than anything else. We covered the company's high-end Racing brand before, but today that brand is getting a NUC-like mini-PC. The Racing P1 comes with a two-watt Atom x5-Z8350 SoC, 4 GB of soldered-down DDR3L-1600 memory, and 64GB of eMMC storage.

This little machine has five USB 2.0 ports, a USB 3.0 connector, and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity. If wires aren't your thing, Biostar jammed 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0 into the box. That's not too bad considering the entire machine is 5" by 3", and just over an inch thick (129 mm x 83 mm x 27 mm.) Storage expansion comes by way of a Micro-SDXC card slot, and the Racing P1 connects to monitors with a single HDMI port. Owners can also hook up the tunes with a 3.5mm combo jack if HDMI audio isn't an option.

To keep things from getting too boring, Biostar included its "Vivid LED DJ" RGB LED controller in the mini-PC. The Biostar Racing logo on the top of the machine has a color-configurable glow, and a connector on the front allows users to hook up and control an LED strip. As befits a mini-PC, the Racing P1 can be bolted to the back of a monitor using optional VESA mounting hardware. Biostar expects the Racing P1 mini-PC to sell for $159 world-wide.

• LostCat

I’d put one on my not-so-smart-TV upstairs.

• ronch

RACING?!? And with Atom Insideβ„’???

Yep, it’s from Taiwan, alright.

And no racing stripes??

[list<][*<]Underpowered? [/*<][*<]Covered in fake carbon wrap? [/*<][*<]Big, unnecessary logos? [/*<][*<]No decent upgrade options? [/*<][*<]Small? [/*<][*<]Slow?[/*<][/list<] I think the word Biostar was looking for wasn't [i<]Racing[/i<], but [i<][b<]Ricing[/b<][/i<].

• RAGEPRO

Very nice sir. +3 from me.

And with a current rating of +1 that means I’ve successfully offended two owners of ‘lovingly modified’ Japanese cars.

My work here is done, I think I can call it a day πŸ˜‰

[i<]Edit1: No, Wait, there's more - I was so blinded by the ricer theme that I missed a perfect Engrish; Pls ELI5 "Racing[b<]y[/b<]" πŸ˜€ Edit2: [url=http://i.imgur.com/7PDli4D.png<]I cropped, rotated and de-skewed it[/url<]. Definitely Racingy; This is the gift that keeps on giving-y![/i<]

• ronch

That could’ve been -1 you know.

Seriously, ever since we had +3 the point system got kinda pointless. Come to think of it, it’s a bit juvenile.

-1 would be good too. I think if you care too much about the points system you’re probably in need of a relaxing holiday and some time with kittens/puppies πŸ˜‰

Me, I’m a cynical, miserable, asshat and if people disagree with me I’m okay with that, most of the time.

Sometimes, damnit – [i<]sometimes[/i<] the other person is just so completely [url=https://xkcd.com/386/<]wrong[/url<] that I lose my [s<]cool[/s<] facade of casual-indifference. When that happens I have to use the little upside-down thumb button; I assume this is like a gladiatorial system from the Roman Colosseum where when I click that someone is fed to the lions. This makes me feel good enough to carry on with my day skipping in the sunshine and butterflies, rather than seething inside and allowing the crackling ball of hatred give me a stomach ulcer. Oooh look, a squirrel!

• TheJack

Let the race begin!

• Vhalidictes

This actually looks pretty nice as a media consumption machine, hidden behind a large TV.

I can’t see a 12-EU single-channel system being used for modern gaming of any sort, however. Maybe they were thinking (older) console emulation?

I am amused by the fact that the Intel datasheet claims that the CPU can only use 2GB of RAM.

• tay

Embarrassingly ugly.

• JalaleenRumi

I like everything about it except two things. First the storage should have been 128 GB instead and second if only it had space for another SSD/HDD.
    First point can be forgiven, as 64 too is great amount of storage as I have seen 32 GB in many of such devices. Only if they could accommodate another drive. πŸ™

Edit:
    I know there is SD card slot. But those suck.

Agreed about SD cards on a desktop. First of all, Windows apps often won’t allow you to install to an SD reader, which can be a pain if you need more app space. Second, the cards are slower than other solid state storage, and third the readers are often slower than the cards peak read and write speeds. Layer upon layer of compromises.

• RAGEPRO

While I agree overall, what apps won’t let you install to an SD reader? That’s news to me.

In any case you could just use portable apps. Although I’d probably stick the apps on the 64GB internal storage and use the SD for media or whatever.

For example, I wanted to put Hearthstone on an old Bay Trail tablet. Windows (or maybe Blizzard) would not let me put the B.net app nor the Hearthstone files there. Which is weird, because you can totally do that on Android.

• RAGEPRO

That is weird. I wonder if it was because it was marked as “removable”. I don’t tend to use installers anyway, so I’ve never encountered that.

That’s entirely the reason. I could work around by “mapping” the disk to a folder on the C: drive. That’s fine for me but not so easy for everyone.

Looks like UWP apps can be installed to SD storage, at least: [url<]http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/install-apps-sd-card-windows[/url<]

• LostCat

I put a 32GB SSD in my laptop and it works great for win10, if I need space I’ll put an external on it.

Hell, this thing has a USB3 port, so who cares?

• chuckula

[quote<]Owners can also hook up the tunes with a 3.5mm combo jack if HDMI audio isn't an option.[/quote<] COWARDS!

• Firestarter

no courage!

• Wirko

[quote<]4 GB of soldered-down DDR3L-1600 memory[/quote<] At least it's non-serviceable. Almost half courage earned back!