Google gets serious about hardware with its Pixel phone

If you've been following along Google's history of hardware, you could probably describe it as "checkered." The colorful company has made excellent devices like some Nexus tablets and phones, but some of its other efforts have been a little hit-or-miss. Google now claims to be "in it for the long run" and getting serious about the entire hardware and software stack. The first device born from this newfound focus is the Pixel phone.

The Pixel is made out of an aluminum unibody shell coupled with a partial glass back in the fingerprint scanner area. The handset comes in regular 5" and 5.5" "Pixel XL" sizes, both sharing the same hardware specs. The Pixel's brain is a Snapdragon 821 SoC, which packs a quad-core processor and an Adreno 530 GPU, all accompanied by 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM. The CPU's four cores are split into two groups: two "big" units clocked at 2.15 GHz, and two "small" cores running at 1.6 GHz. Main storage comes in two flavors, 32GB and 128GB. Wireless connectivity is provided by an 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO adapter and Bluetooth 4.2.

Perhaps taking a page from Apple's photography-focused iPhone 7 presentation, Google made bold claims about the camera inside the Pixel phone. The back snapper is a 12.3-MP unit with an f/2 aperture and 1.55-µm pixels. Those figures don't sound too impressive on paper, but according to Google, DxOMark rated the Pixel's camera with a score of 89 points, making it the best-rated phone camera the site has seen so far. There's no annoying camera bump on the phone's back, too.

Google says its software engineers had a hand in the Pixel's camera performance. The company demoed an impressive-looking video stabilization feature that hooks into the gyroscope and automatically compensates for the handset's motion. The camera also takes "HDR+" photos, composed from multiple short exposures and combined on a per-pixel basis. Google says this technique should result in particularly good-looking shots in low-light situations.

The Pixel camera app also underwent some optimizations. Google claims there's zero shutter lag, and that the overall capture time is the shortest among smartphone cameras. Pixel phone owners also get free unlimited cloud storage for photos and videos at their original resolution. It's a shame that Google isn't a truly courageous company, though—the presence of a 3.5-mm headphone jack in the Pixel proves that fact.

The Pixel phone offers other niceties. The quick-charging battery comes in either 2,770 mAh or 3,450 mAh capacities depending on phone size. Google says that 15 minutes' worth of juicing up the phone is good enough for seven hours of usage. The phone includes a 24/7 support application with screen sharing, too. Google also includes an adapter cable with the Pixel that lets owners bring over data from their older Android or iOS devices with only a few taps.

The handset can be preordered right away in the US, Australia, Canada, Germany, and U.K. For brick-and-mortar distribution in the U.S., Google has a partnership with Verizon. The unlocked Pixel goes for $649 with 32GB of storage, or $749 with 128GB. Its bigger brother, the Pixel XL, sells for $769 in its 32GB incarnation, or $869 for the 128GB version. Buyers get the option of "Quite Black," "Very Silver," and limited-edition "Really Blue" finishes. Google is bundling a Daydream VR headset with all Pixel preorders.

• kamikaziechameleon

Ok, after reading around…

Nice as this phone is its also underwhelming in some bland ways. To put it simply the price is premium and the basic hardware isn’t. Not that the new camera (given how bad nexus cameras have been) isn’t appreciated. Or that the new iphone like industrial design isn’t snazy. But that the processor for example and battery life are not promising. Nothing about the basic under the hood hardware is exciting. Compared to the nexus 6 phones this seems like a light update in actual practical use for a Massive uptick in cost.

Android is evolving slowly with things like the first party photo and messenger management leapfrogging itself every 18 months in odd ways, 3 steps forward 2 steps back. Then there is this hardware iteration… already outdated from what we can tell in some respects while bringing long overdue elements to the table and wrapping them in a not so premium warranty and support plan. I expected this to sort of happen as we are seeing that flag ship phones have stagnated with this generation of iphones.

Who cares about VR honestly. Give me better battery life, more storage, faster processor, wireless charging, better screen, FRONT FACING STEREO SPEAKERS!!! Then tell me about VR.

Beyond the camera and the industrial design this product seems to loose allot of the utility and function expected by users of the platform.

• kamikaziechameleon

Anyone know how these specs stack up against last years models… they seem modest if not flat in terms of hardware (maybe the cameras are better implemented) and the price seems higher…

I like the superficial overhauls of better looking phones for sure but I’m dubious about everything else… thoughts?

• Beelzebubba9

They seem like great phones with a ~$200 Google Tax to use ‘real’ Android. I’ll probably buy an XL because stock Android is my favorite mobile OS, but it’s still overpriced considering the competition and Apple’s unassailable SoC lead.

• lex-ington

Just an observation…..

1. Google is a company that pushes their Cloud utilities very much, hence the free storage space on Google Photos. They want your music, photos documents and anything else you can think of on their Cloud offering….(heck, all of the phone makers want this)… so why would they ever opt for secondary storage on their devices?

2. If you utilize the Cloud offerings, how many people do you know (outside of this tech board and others like it) that can fill the storage on those phones…..most people use facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest, (and whatever apps are similar to these), day-to-day banking, texting and your occasional games…..(please acknowledge the part where I said “If you utilize the cloud offerings)

3. If the number of Pixels in the camera was such a concern, Microsoft would have won this race already with their 40MP Lumia. If the hardware is decent and the software rendering the photos is decent, you will have decent shots….how many of the pics people take are actually printed or used for big banners or something of the like?

The cost of mid-ranged phones are ridiculously overpriced. Would I pay $650…..maybe…..the offerings in front of me right now is not nice. I may end up with a OnePlus 3 just because they’re not charging me shipping or the taxes (I have to look into that some more) for $519 CDN….but all of those “high end” phones are at least $1000 CDN or more…tack on the 13% tax and the mark ups/downs/sideways and the price becomes more reasonable.

****If only I could have used my HTC One(M7) on the WindMobile network*****

I’m stuck using a Moto G 3rd Gen right now and I detest this thing…and I refuse to pay what anyone is asking for the other low/mid-range phones. if only the HTC 10 wasn’t $1100 CDN….

As I said at the start….just an observation….

• Anovoca

7hours of usage? I love how you can’t even make it through a work day now without being plugged in. At what point do we start to classify these things as deskphones with a built in backup PSU?

a 15-minute charge is not a full charge.

• tipoo

7 hours added with a 15 minute quick charge – not to 100%.

• flip-mode

How do you stay employed if you’re literally using your phone for 7 hours during the 8 hour work day?

maybe he works in sales?

• steelcity_ballin

It’s disappointing to read that the DayDream VR experience is likely not supported on anything not named pixel. Comparing my flagship device I purchased from HTC just 2 months ago (HTC 10) the specs are better in a lot of areas, or equal in others. The GPU is identical which I would think is a major contributing factor, and the only limitation I can read about is the ‘VR sensors ‘ for which I can’t seem to find listed in any specs.

[url<]http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-10,Google-Pixel/phones/9582%2C10264[/url<]

Well, HTC is good at updates. There’s a chance the 10 will get 7.1 relatively quickly and it’ll support DayDream VR.

I’m not sure a Nexus phone is worth anywhere near that much outlay. The last “excellent” Nexus was the LG Nexus 5.

The 6 was terminally fragile and had battery swelling issues as well. I ordered several for work and two (about 8% of all the phones I ordered) needed to be returned immediately upon opening the box.

The 6P had build quality and design flaws – screens detaching, poor phone/mic/gyro/digitiser.
    Most of those have had workarounds now and it’s actually a decent phone if you get one that was manufactured properly.

The 5X overheats far too easily. It was big-little done wrong, so the big chips were always in use. It’s a great phone otherwise, but you can’t use it heavily so you end up treating it like a sub-$100 phone because it only behaves itself when doing what you’d restrict yourself to on a sub-$100 phone.

Asking $649 or $769 for the base models is kind of optimistic given the track record of recent, flawed Nexus phones. Perhaps it’s perfect, but I’d be waiting for reviews rather that buying blindly like I was able to do a few years ago.

• Beelzebubba9

I have a 6P and it’s been the most flawless Android phone I’ve ever used.

Aside from the size and the not-great (but still all day) battery life I have no issues with it and I’m one super picky MF’er*.

*who doesn’t need an SD card or removable battery because it’s not 2012 anymore

• kamikaziechameleon

Agreed, the 6p has been good for me mostly. though I had an OS corruption issue that was rough. And some random shut downs…

But what product doesn’t have issues. My apple tablet is a POS, and android is just friendlier and more flexible. Sharing content across devices and the integration of 3rd party apps and services is the best in the industry. I can’t afford the apple tax on their software services at this point in my life. Saving up for a hardware purchase is way different than a slow drip of money seeping out of my wallet at consistent intervals as would be the case with apple.

• Ninjitsu

Well, yuck, the price is way too much. It’s sad how companies look at Apple and think they can copy their RDF level pricing.

I’m just hoping for a OnePlus X refresh so I can replace my Moto G 2nd Gen relatively cheaply.

• deruberhanyok

Yes please! The X is the closest thing I can find to a simple, straightforward [i<]phone[/i<] to replace my first gen Moto G, now that Lenovo screwed up the Moto line. A OnePlus X2 would be perfect. I almost bought the current version, but they're lacking support for 700MHz band which is used in the US (which is odd). But news from a few months ago made it pretty clear they weren't planning to do another X, they want to focus solely on the "flagship" model. And actually, at this "price", it's making the OnePlus 3 really tempting, too, although I didn't want to jump all the way to 5.5" screen.

• Koli

Google are asking for £599 for the 32GB Pixel and £699 for the 128GB Pixel. Good grief, 128GB of flash storage does not cost an extra £100. You can buy a full SSD or an M.2 drive for half of that!

• Jigar

Too dam costly.

• ronch

1. It’s not all about how many megapixels a camera has. I’m driven crazy when some cheap review sites say a particular phone has a great camera solely due to tons of megapixels. WTFudge.

2. Pixel just sounds… um.. And Pixel XL sounds even…

3. I like the blue one.

4. Everyone simply has to make a $700+ phone these days, eh?

5. I assume there’s no card slot but that’s no biggie with 128GB. I bet nobody ever pulls out the microSD card out if there’s one in their phone anyway. More likely you just plug in the USB cable directly. MicroSD restrictions with newer Android devices also kinda make it necessary for phone makers to circumvent the issue, and their solutions seem OS tacked on and awkward to me (for Sammy and Sonny anyway).

6. 3.5mm jack FTW. I hope the industry boycotts Apple’s move to ditch 3.5mm jacks. Courage my cowardly foot.

• RdVi

So the phone is both big and has a below average battery? Why is it thicker than most modern phones yet has a smaller battery? Why does it have a huge forehead and chin if the battery is below average?

Make a phone iPhone 7 sized, maybe even 1mm thicker and I would understand the battery trade off. Honestly that’s actually exactly what I wanted this to be. An Iphone 7 sized phone with a 5″ screen. It’s entirely possible… I understand most would rather something a little fatter with a bigger battery and either would have been fine, but this doesn’t seem to excel at either.

The XL on the other hand does alright with its battery size, but for a 5.5″ phone, 8.6mm is a little too thick IMO.

Shave off a bit on all the dimensions next year, add waterproofing and it would be my perfect phone. Hell I’d even consider paying those high prices.

• Kretschmer

Meh.

I’ll stick with my $300/64 GB OnePlusOne until the battery dies or there is some quantum advancement in phone tech (ubiquitous 5G, order of magnitude improvement in battery).

I can’t use a faster GPU or additional RAM.

• Voldenuit

$650 for a 32 GB phone with:
    – no stereo speakers
    – no wireless charging
    – no microSD slot
    – no removable battery
    – no realsense/3d camera
    – no water resistance
    – 1080p screen
    – a Snapdragon 821 SoC that is running at 820 speeds (so, essentially, an 820)

Yep, that sounds like a four hunnert dollar phone right there, boy. Tell you what, I give you three-fiddy for it.

Perfect phone:

5″
      Wireless charging
      Water resistant
      some level of shock tolerance (ie, not glass back and not glass that protrudes beyond the metal/plastic edges)
      Half-decent camera
      Half-decent storage
      Half-decent performance
      Half-decent screen
      Half-decent battery life
      Stock Android with no vendorbloat or vendorGUI.
      Sensible price given the likely 24-month lifespan ($250ish for the base model?)

A lot of this is what Nexus used to stand for.

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

Sounds like you are speaking of the Motorola G3. Too bad they fucked it up with the G4.

I’ve dished out 50+ Moto G3 phones to staff here, agreed – they’re brilliant phones for most people.

The G4 is not a real Motorola phone, it’s a Lenovo and it’s so far from the Google-owned Motorola G2 that I’m a little bit sad.

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

I couldn’t agree more. I have had the G3 for a year and I have come to realize that it’s a lot more my dad’s phone than mine. Cheap, solid build, but not the kind of finely crafted piece of hardware that I want to have resting in my hand for a good portion of the day. I had very high hopes for pixel, but the price, the lack of waterproofing or sd-slot and the sub-par screen steer me towards a Galaxy S7, which have become amazingly affordable lately. It won’t have regular software updates from the manufacturer, but once the warranty runs out there is no reason not to go for one of the many custom roms.

If only the Mi5 Pro had LTE Band 20.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m trying to understand spec wise how this stacks up against the last gen nexus phones, cause my 6p is amazing!

• NTMBK

Too big and too expensive. Give me a sub 5″ phone again, and update the Nexus 7 while you’re at it.

Edit: And get off my lawn.

• Wirko

+1 to you
      -1″ to phone size

• kvndoom

Google’s in it for the long run…

That means 6 months. 8 if it sells well.

• ludi

Wait, so Google got a 3.5mm jack into a phone that’s pretty much feature and price competitive with Apple’s flagship? I mean, I’m just an end user for these products, but I thought someone told me that was ridiculous.

• Ninjitsu

It really doesn’t take a lot to be price competitive with a $800 phone.

• tay

It isn’t price competitive with Apple’s flagship. You don’t get courage, waterproofing, the fastest CPU+GPU in the business, DCPI-3 screen, or the 6 year support. This is why Apple gets away with charging $650. People use the phones for 3+ years.

• tipoo

And Google only promised 2 years of OS updates… So nearly the same as they did for their 350 dollar Nexus’s. If you’re going to price like Apple, at least support like Apple.

• PixelArmy

Did Google actually verify that? Or are you just assuming the same as Nexus? (I couldn’t find a link, so I also assumed 2 yrs, but would like a definitive answer.) I think $650 is fine if support got bumped to at least 3 yrs OS/4 yrs security.

Edit: nm, found 2 yrs OS/3 yrs security on product page (had to expand “Operating System” section”)

• brucethemoose

This is true. My 2012 iPhone 5 is still getting updates, and still feels [i<]remarkably[/i<] smooth thanks to its decent CPU/GPU for the time.

• PixelArmy

To be fair, the 6 years stated above is an exaggeration. Also, there are other iDevices from 2012 that are not getting iOS 10, and the iPhone 5 is not getting all the features. Still better than Google’s 2 years.

• End User

It is.

• JosiahBradley

It’s such a hardware leap they surpassed stereo speakers with a new revolutionary mono downward firing speaker! It’s Apple level magic!

• blastdoor

From my perspective, the most compelling thing about this is the camera. I’m curious to see how it compares to the dual camera system in the iPhone 7+.

• DragonDaddyBear

So much for an affordable 5 inch phone that gets regular updates and has decent specs. I really don’t want an iPhone but it might be my only option.

• gmskking

Huge waste of space at bottom of phone. Good place to put buttons, but nothing seems to be there. Instead, lets sacrifice some precious screen space and put our buttons there. Plus too expensive. Stick with my Note 3 for a while yet.

• davidbowser

They need all that space internally to put the headphone jack.

• flip-mode

Shoot. I think they look fantastic. Performance wise they sound pretty excellent given the degree to which Google was able to integrate the software and the hardware. If Google is speaking the plain truth then the camera is the best phone cam yet and that warms my heart.

I’d have no qualms paying the premium price for such a premium experience. My 5X is only 6 months old, but the wife is about to need a new phone.

I also very much like the idea of Google putting a bit of custom polish and detail into Android for Pixel.

Pixel is looking like what I always wanted the Nexus phones to be… just about perfect. Will have to see if that impression holds up as the in-depth reviews pile up over the next few weeks.

• DancinJack

[url<]https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Pixel-smartphone-camera-review-At-the-top[/url<]

• DPete27

SWEET!! Going to Verizon store to get my Gen1 MotoX replaced this week.

No water resistance though?

• mmp121

No water resistance / repellant?! Come on Google, get with it! Even Apple caved and gave the iPhone7 basic water resistance (IP67), while Samsung is still blazing the trail with water resistance (IP68) up to 1 meter.

• [TR]

Yeah, but Samsung needs to have it for when you quickly need to douse your overheating, possibly exploding soon, phone.

• willmore

Yes, try to put out a lithium fire in water. *slowclap*

• brucethemoose

[i<]Starts reading specs[/i<] I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse with my HTC 10. [quote<]Both devices also don’t support microSD expansion[/quote<] Aaaannd it's gone.

• tipoo

It seems a lot like a more expensive HTC 10 with some features stripped out (though some like Daydream added)

• brucethemoose

The OLED screen is better than the 10’s 1440p LCD, that’s the big one.

MicroSD + good speakers/clean analog out is more important to me though (assuming the LCD is satisfactory, and it is).

• Ceremony

Holy shit, this is one overpriced phone and yet I don’t see the apple logo anywhere.

400-450 bucks would have been a good price. At least then, it would have been competitive (One+ 3, Mi5s, etc.). But this. Yeah no, keep you damn phone, I stick with my galaxy nexus for another year! kthxbye.

• MrDweezil

[quote<]Who needs a dead good looking phone that cannot be repaired?[/quote<] I'll take one. I've never broken or repaired a phone, and I don't hide it in a case.

The 24×7 live support thing is probably a big chunk of the cost related to the phone, but it’s something I can’t imagine ever needing.

• Chz

To be fair, the Nexus 5 battery is supposedly not replaceable and it took me all of 5 minutes to do it. There’s a difference between “takes a few tools and more than 30 seconds to replace” and “impossible to replace”.

• Wildchild

[quote<]P.S. Also, replaceable battery or nothing. Screw useless unibody crap design. Who needs a dead good looking phone that cannot be repaired? NOBODY![/quote<] This is one of the reasons I don't spend more than $150 on a phone. I usually upgrade every year or so just because it hurts less than getting a companies flagship and inexpensive Android's have finally gotten to the point where they're not laggy pieces of s*** anymore. Plus, if I remember correctly, don't batteries lose 30% of it's charging capacity within the first year of uise? My first smart phone was the Galaxy S2 when it first came out.... it barely lasted a year because of a faulty power button that completely crippled it and Samsung wouldn't honor the warranty because I had it rooted, so I never made that mistake again. I'm currently using the Moto G (4th generation) and I love it.

• Shobai

[quote<]Plus, if I remember correctly, don't batteries lose 30% of it's charging capacity within the first year of uise? [/quote<] I'm late to the party, but what you're quoting here is the limited life of Lithium Ion batteries; they're generally rate for a discharge/charge cycle count of maybe 400 or 500 cycles; if you discharge and then charge your phone every day for a year, your battery's going to last 3 years at most. Get your phone nice and toasty with heavy use, or simply sitting it in the sun, during those discharge periods and the wear on the cells is markedly worse, so maybe you'll only get a year out of the battery. Look at it from the manufacturer's perspective, though: if the battery's basically dead in 3 years, tops, you're on the hook for a new phone. So why would they want to provide removable batteries?

• mdkathon

I’m not impressed. It’s clear now that what was good, in my opinion, about the Nexus devices with a balance of price and “premium” is gone. I move through a couple devices a year on average the last four years I’ve had a Nexus 4, Nexus 5, LG G Pro, OnePlus One, Moto X 2nd Gen, Moto X Pure (3rd Gen), Nexus 6, ZTE Axom 7, and a couple more for short periods of time.

From all of those devices the Motorola designs (Moto X, Nexus 6) are still close to what I feel is a good balance. The ZTE Axon 7 for $400.00 is a steal and replaced my Moto X Pure Edition. I do very much miss the Motorola software but that’s slowly becoming less of a draw with Lenovo ruining their designs in my opinion.

Also, the XL (which is the model I would consider) looks like a iPhone 6 Plus knock off, and a bad one at that. Google does not seem to want to take chances with the hardware design which is too bad. The original Nexus devices all took great steps in my opinion on the evolution of design. The One and Nexus S were both kind of ground breaking, the 4 & 5 were evolutions, and the 6, 5x, 6p all were very interesting. I still love my Nexus 6.

Unibody/Metal is not a selling point for me. I’d much rather be able to replace my battery.

Also, front facing speakers please. The Moto X Pure, Nexus 6, and Axon 7 are awesome “speaker” phones.

This makes the 6p, OnePlus 3, and Axon 7 feel like much stronger picks now. If ZTE can get CyanogenMod going on the Axon 7 I think that’ll be the phone to beat.

So Google is trying to make the software the selling point. Good luck! Not impressed. 🙁

• bfar

The price is hugely disappointing. I love my Nexus 5x, in part because it does everything a flagship phone does at less than half the price.

There’s little distinguising these pixel devices from Apple phones, exept the fact that Apple already has the market well wraped up. These look like great phones, but Apple will obliterate them in sales.

I was hoping Google could offer something more compelling than yet another “me too” high price phone.

• ImSpartacus

I’m a Google fanboy and on Verizon [i<]and[/i<] looking to replace my gs3. However, I'm not buying a phone that isn't rugged and I would strongly prefer to buy a phone with microusb rather than type c (purely for compatibility reasons). Also, a gigantic battery helps. I'd love to get a gs7 active with that big battery and rugged design, but it's only on at&t...

• Neutronbeam

FWIW, I bought type C adapters that fit onto my micro-USB cables so no there was no need to buy new cables.

• Pitabred

Ditto on the adapters. And I like the type-C on my phone (HTC10) a lot better than the micro-USB

Great! This should help convince my wife that 5.5″ is “XL”

• Wonders

The hammer is my Pixel.
      [url<]https://youtu.be/c_O0jNYOGTQ[/url<]

I post “insightful” comments all the time, but no. This is what gets me to the top of the “top comments” section.

• DrDominodog51

I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say I appreciate a good staff joke.

• Peter.Parker

That’s because “sex sells”, baby!

• eofpi

There’s a reason Techdirt has separate “funny” and “insightful” buttons.

• coolflame57

You also have to tell her that the “Quite Black XL” version isn’t any bigger than the wh- I mean Very Silver XL version. This revelation will be news to her (I hope so for you).

she’s into rose gold right now, but once she tries it, i could be in trouble….

• coolflame57

You know what they say…
          When you go Quite Black, you never Quite go back

• kamikaziechameleon

I didn’t get it for a long time… then I did.

• tsk

Nice, but my Nexus 5 will hopefully last me another year. Just ordered a new battery for it.
    I think the price is OK as this is a premium device.

• madseven7

How can this be considered a premium device if it has no wireless charging, no ip67/68 rating, lower spec’ed camera compared to the competition and no sd card for the low price of $650/$750 U.S? No thank you.

• DancinJack

You saw the part about how DXO (i’m not saying they’re end all be all, but c’mon) rated the camera “best mobile camera ever,” right?

edit: re-reading what you wrote…you probably don’t consider the iPhone to be “premium” either. Companies can’t please everyone I guess.

• madseven7

Companies can please everyone, they just choose not to.

• MrDweezil

I like em, and I’ll probably get one of the small ones before the end of the year, but I don’t think they went quite far enough if they’re going to run in that price bracket.

• sweatshopking

apple marketing though. Pretending they invented a blue? I mean come on. wtf.

• ImSpartacus

But they [i<]courageously[/i<] invented it, so it's cool.

I dunno, man. I *really* like the whimsical color names (irrational though I may be). Plus, they’re accurate. It’s really blue.

• sweatshopking

accurate? it’s not an invented color. the names are cute. but the marketing is dumb

OK, accurate might be more like “exceptionally blue” or “blue under the most extraordinary circumstances” but I’ll settle for “really blue”

• sweatshopking

this is the thing i’m annoyed about: [url<]http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/10/google-pixel-pixel-xl-major-features-detailed-in-new-video.html[/url<] not the name "really blue"