Motorola plans to stuff 15 handsets full of Nougat

Motorola has released a list of 15 phones that will receive an update to the Android 7.0 Nougat release (not Android 7.1). Most Motorola smartphones released in the last year will receive the OS update. Android Central points out a couple of notable exceptions to this generalization: July 2015's Moto G (3rd Gen) and July 2016's Moto E3 Power phones will be stuck with Android Marshmallow.

Here's the full list of Motorola phones scheduled for Nougat updates:

• Moto G (4th Gen)
  • Moto G Plus (4th Gen)
  • Moto G Play (4th Gen)
  • Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen)
  • Moto X Style
  • Moto X Play
  • Moto X Force
  • Droid Turbo 2
  • Droid Maxx 2
  • Moto Z
  • Moto Z Droid
  • Moto Z Force Droid
  • Moto Z Play
  • Moto Z Play Droid
  • Nexus 6

The Moto Z and and 4th-generation Moto G handsets are scheduled to be filled with Nougat in Q4 2016. The rest of the handsets on the list are expected to get an update to Android 7.0 sometime in 2017.

• Entr0py

Motorola, what are you doing? You still haven’t updated the Droid Turbo 1 to Marshmallow yet… Have you cancelled that update?

• Philldoe

Reading all of the complaints in the comments… People still run stock roms? Wow.

• DoomGuy64

Not only are custom roms overly complicated to flash, but the vast majority of them have deal breaking bugs. My old phone had so many bugs in the custom roms that I never bothered to attempt it. Camera crashes, poor battery life, CPU cores limited to 2, etc.

What really irked me is that the devs all knew about these bugs, and wanted people to hack around it instead of fixing it directly in the rom. Totally unacceptable for me.

• Philldoe

Complicated to Flash? Deal breaking Bugs? What? How long has it been since you used a custom rom? When I bought my phone 2 years ago I downloaded a program that unlocked my phone and installed TWRP (Custom recovery) with the push of a button. Load up the rom (Pure Nexus) to a USB drive and installed it and SuperSU with 2 taps of the screen. No bugs of any note either.

Honestly installing windows on my computer takes more effort.

• DoomGuy64

Google LG Optimus G Pro, then tell me you would really want to flash it with a custom rom. There are too many unaddressed issues, and I didn’t want to lose stock features like the flip cover, or brick my phone.

There might be some acceptable roms out now, but they weren’t available before. That’s why I stuck with the stock rom, because I don’t have patience for dealing with bugs or losing stock features.

• Philldoe

I went over to the XDA forums and found the official TWRP recovery and BlissPop Rom for that phone. I’d unlock it and use that stuff in a heartbeat. I use Blisspop on one of my Shield Tablets. It’s a great Rom with no deal breaker bugs and an amazing dev team behind it.

If Motorola was still owned by Google, all of those phones would have been running Nougat last month.

Le sigh.

• mathias

By keeping out in the cold millions of 3rd Gen G, Motorola is really making a good case for choosing someone else. Moto G (3rd Gen) has the same SoC that is in the Moto G Play (4th Gen) (which will get an update).

Motorola: so you think that by making a phone obsolete faster, your customer will buy another one quicker from you? Think again!

• willmore

Or the Second gen E which never got any updates even though Mot said that it would.

• XTF

The 2015 Moto E? I’ve got 6.0 on it..

• tacitust

But how many of those “millions” actually care that they won’t be getting an Android upgrade or even know that there is a newer version of Android out there? I’d wager it’s nowhere close to a even single million. We, in our tech bubble, tend to forget that we are only a small chunk of the overall mobile phone user base.

Also, a phone doesn’t become obsolete the day a new version of Android comes out, or even the day the next new version of Android comes out. I have an LG G2 running 5.0.2. Still works just as well as it did before 7.0 was shipped, and I haven’t found an app yet that won’t run because it’s “obsolete”. (Google does a pretty good job of back-porting APIs so new apps will continue to run on older versions of Android).

Clearly, there is very little financial incentive for the manufacturers to provide upgrades for older models in the first place, and people who want to keep upgrading their old phone’s software instead of buying their latest and greatest flagship are hardly going to be top of their priority list when it comes to who to keep happy.

• DoomGuy64

Love my Turbo2. Truly shatterproof.

Well don’t get too excited for Nougat. Motorola also promised Marshmallow for the OG Turbo and hasn’t delivered yet. Now that Nougat is out, my guess is they’re not going to bother.

• Entr0py

Motorola gave us Lollipop pretty quick, but they promised Marshmallow and haven’t gotten anywhere. You might have luck with the Turbo 2. However, I’m now 2 OS generations behind…

Are you on a Droid Turbo or an international one? The Droid Turbo didn’t get Marshmallow until like May of 2015, a full 7 months after launch.

Don’t forget the epic battery capacity and OLED 1440p screen.

It’s an amazing phone even without the fact that I throw it on the floor to demonstrate how tough it is to all the whining iZealots who come to me asking if I can replace their cracked iPhone screen for them*

* – FYI, my new policy is “no, Apple are jerks – stop giving them all your money and buy a sensibly-priced phone if you keep smashing your expensive one”

• SoundChaos

.. But the Moto Turbo2 retails for $624! If you want sensible price, got to go to the Moto g4 🙂

• DoomGuy64

Only if you buy retail. There are ways to get it cheaper. I bought mine used.

Exactly, I paid £249 for mine which [i<]included[/i<] 20% tax, so it was more like $250-275 in US equivalent since none of your prices ever include tax. Those were the days of Google Motorola. Subsidies and offers galore. The list price was just to stop competitors from throwing a hissyfit, I presume.

• DoomGuy64

I didn’t pay taxes on my phone because it was used. :p But yeah, there are multiple ways to get the phone cheaper, including subsidized prices via contracts.