Radeon 16.10.1 drivers are ready for Gears of War 4 and Mafia III

AMD has released a new set of drivers for its graphics cards that adds support for some of the biggest upcoming games. AMD's Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.1 brings support for Gears of War 4 and Mafia III, and adds a CrossFire profile for Shadow Warrior 2 in DirectX 11 mode.

According to the patch notes, the update also fixes a number of issues. CrossFire-related stuttering and flickering in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Overwatch, Paragon and Battlefield 1 are all resolved. Frame drops in The Crew should be taken care of, too.

There are a few known issues with the drivers that AMD is working on, including a crash that occurs when changing resolution in Rise of the Tomb Raider and a game hang that occurs when playing Tom Clancy's The Division for an extended period. The full patch notes as well as download links for the driver update are available right here.

Wait, there’s a Shadow Warrior 2 and Mafia III?

I loved Mafia, and Shadow Warrior (the remake) was a total blast for the £5 I paid in the Steam Sale.

• rephlex

I wish my Gigabyte RX 480 graphics card was ready. I just bought one and it has corruption when running the Fire Strike benchmark in 3DMark. I’m pretty bummed out and have started the RMA process. I’ve read somewhere that Gigabyte have been having manufacturing problems with their RX 480 cards so maybe that’s the cause.

• wiak

my MSI 480 Gaming X 8G has been running great for over a month now, some cards will be bad, its just like RAM or HDD

• DoomGuy64

MSI is one of the better AMD brands for sure. I have a MSI 390, and it runs cooler and quieter than my brother’s triple fan Sapphire Fury, which theoretically should be quieter with lower power consumption and more fans.

Sapphire makes decent quality cards, but it always seems like their cards have smaller heatsinks and louder fan noise. I put MSI at the top of my overall list. Other brands have trade offs that keep me from taking them too serious.

[url<]https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4zxbjv/comparisons_of_nonreference_470s_and_480s_not/[/url<] [quote<]It is rather cool and quiet, not the quietest or coolest- but probably one of the better cards in each of these categories. It can overclock quite well, not the best, but good nonetheless. The card seems to be perfect for those that simply want to “plug-and-play,” while having some headroom for a decent overclock in the future. It’s a solid all-around card. The aesthetics are what they are. If you’re fan of MSI’s cards, you’re going to love this card.[/quote<]

• EzioAs

For Nvidia owners or anyone interested, you should check Geforce.com for the Gears of War 4 tuning guide [url<]http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/gears-of-war-4-graphics-and-performance-guide[/url<] The game has a ton of graphics settings.

• Vaughn

Why is this not posted on the front page!

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voCapB43F0k[/url<]

• EzioAs

Probably because not a lot of people here subscribe to AMD’s Youtube channel. Thanks for sharing it, by the way.

• wiak

i do, i also i subscribe to /r/amd & /r/pcmasterrace too 😉
          [url<]http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/luke-hill/exclusive-multi-gpu-dx12-frame-pacing-interview-with-amds-scott-wasson/[/url<]

• PrincipalSkinner

That guy from the video looks familiar.

• DrDominodog51

I think I would have remembered if that beard if I have seen it before.

• DoomGuy64

I fully support this suggestion, and upvoted as a petition.

• synthtel2

They’ve got something with seriously super-linear performance cost with resolution, at least on insane settings. See [url=https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/images/gears-of-war-4/gears-of-war-4-scaled-resolution-performance-insane-settings.png<]this[/url<]. 200% versus 148% is 1.83x the pixel count, and the slowdown is ~1.8x. Slowdown should always be significantly smaller than pixel count increases, since lots of work isn't per-pixel. This is sloppy work. I'm suspicious of that insane DoF algo, in particular (it shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as it is). I don't think they looked at [url=http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2014/index.html<]Jimenez' work on DoF[/url<] (first pres on that page), because it blows their thing so far out of the water it's not even funny. Their insane settings are way too expensive - their improvements over ultra are mostly things that we already know how to do without too much performance cost. Those are effects I would target to be represented by ultra as-is or high with a tiny quality hit, no insanity needed. This is seriously behind the modern quality/performance curve. </rant>