Report: Samsung lights the Galaxy Note7’s funeral pyre

Just one day after Samsung temporarily halted production of the maligned Galaxy Note7 smartphone, reports from numerous outlets say the company will scrap the Note7 entirely. Some news outlets are reporting that the black cloud surrounding the Note7 has led Samsung to consider ending the whole Galaxy Note series.

For those who haven't been following this debacle, the Galaxy Note7 was launched in August as a co-flagship to the Galaxy S7. The phone was lauded for its features and performance, though some questioned its high price tag. Within weeks of release, reports of fires involving the phone began appearing. One of these incidents happened aboard a passenger aircraft. The Consumer Product Safety Commission fired up a recall of all Note7 phones in the US. The manufacturer's recall efforts eventually engulfed the entire globe, and Samsung replaced the first batch of phones with new units with updated batteries. Unfortunately, reports of more fires involving the refreshed phones began just days after these were delivered to customers, including another incident on an aircraft.

• spanky1off

I’m not really a techie but i live in Suwon (right near Samsungs HQ and i teach a few of the VP’s there, although not in the handheld division). Let me tell you that they still don’t know what is causing it. That’s why they’ve had to pull the whole thing. They’re offering money now in korea just for people to bring in their phones because many wanted to just hold onto it. The suspicion is its a number of faults. The battery is too thin in terms of (now im getting out my depth technically here) being folded and insulated between folds?. Also there are suspicions the waterproofing meant less heat being dissipated thus more chance for overheating. But not only these suspects there should be a failsafe shutdown in case of overheating and that clearly didnt happen so there could also be software issues too. Just what i’ve heard through the grapevine.

For those gloating. Bear in mind many people are losing their jobs over this. I’m talking potentially thousands of people in restructuring. Right up to the board of directors. It’s a workforce that is in my opinion sadly overworked with engineers often recently having to work til midnight and barely seeing their family (especially in the handset division). I don’t personally take pleasure in seeing these guys and girls have their lives made a lot harder because of this. But then again I’m biased as i live here!

• albundy

haha, those managers and marketing morons must have been fired on the spot! any youtube videos on that?

• gmskking

I guess I wasn’t so wrong when I said they Note 7 is dead, huh. Can’t help it if you get butt hurt. That’s on you.

• ronch

I’m currently out for a new phone. I’m not very fussy and I just need something to place calls, send SMS texts, have a decent screen, take half-decent photos, and accepts 2 SIMs (micro) and a dedicated microSD card. Budget is around $150. Pretty low, huh? That’s why I see all this fiasco surrounding the Note 7 and think buying a cheap phone isn’t all that bad, and buying an expensive phone isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Really, $150 already gets you a lot these days.

That said, I’m looking at the Acer Liquid Z630. Yes it’s a cheap a$$ phone but it comes with everything I mentioned above and has a removable 4000mAh battery. It’s just $122 in our village in the woods.

• ronch

It’s interesting to Note that these tech companies have to be on their toes all the time. They earn big, but one capacitor in the wrong place is enough to set the stock going down in flames.

• Unknown-Error

[quote<]... Some news outlets are reporting that the black cloud surrounding the Note7 has led Samsung to consider ending the whole Galaxy Note series.[/quote<] Mutha *CENSORED*......!!! The Galaxy Note series has been Samsung's true flagship phone. I know several Galaxy Note 4 owners and they absolutely love it especially Exynos version. I had the pleasure of playing around with one few years back and simply love toying with S-Pen. Shame on you Samsung!

• Pwnstar

They are just ending the name. There will be phablets to come.

• ThatStupidCat

Looks like we won’t be seeing a phone called the Galaxy Nova anytime soon.

• torquer

would it be in poor taste to offer a Galaxy Note F4T4L1TY edition?

• Ultracer

The next Samsung Phablet can always be called as: Samsung Galaxy PPAP…

• HERETIC

What is it with expensive phones???????

Possibly the largest manufacturer in the world Samsung gives us unsafe phones.
    And this
    [url<]http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/41806-iphone-6-class-action-starts[/url<] In the midrange-$100-$200 Lumia and Moto-G just seem to work!!!!!!!!!!!!

• just brew it!

Mid-range phones neither push the technology envelope, nor scrape the bottom of the barrel to cut costs. Mature, middle-of-the-road tech == lower odds of unexpected glitches and QA problems.

• Anovoca

down 8%? I may have to buy up some of those panic shares and turn around and sell them in 2 weeks when they show off what ever new line will replace the note.

• cynan

Can’t wait till the Samsung Galaxy S7 Plus comes out 4 months from now.

• GrimDanfango

[quote<]...has led Samsung to consider ending the whole Galaxy Note series.[/quote<] Top corporate executive logic there. Put more resources into higher quality manufacturing and quality assurance? Nah, just scrap it all and re-brand! People will soon forget it ever happened. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this actually happens.

• Wildchild

[quote<]The reports of the permanent termination of the Galaxy Note7 follow one day after a $17 billion drop in Samsung's market capitalization and single-day stock price drop of 8%.[/quote<] I must have missed that until now, but OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

• DragonDaddyBear

[quote<]Report: Samsung lights the Galaxy Note7's funeral pyre[/quote<] Did they use a Note 7? Err, never mind. Other gerbils beet me to it. That will teach me to type something and not hit submit.

• ludi

Samsung Galaxy Not.

• Wirko

“e” was the battery?

• K-L-Waster

Levity aside (the jokes are a hoot by the way), between this and the 840 SSD slow down issue and the issues with previous generations of Galaxy phones altering their performance profiles when they detected that benchmark suites were being run, I’m thinking Samsung needs to go in the “don’t trust’em” category.

I agree, but those categories only seem to exist for enthusiasts. There’s a reason I have a Galaxy S7 instead of an LG G5, HTC 10, or whatever (edit: purchased by my boss, for my development purposes, not personal use): it’s the best-selling Android phone on the market, and it has been that way year-in and year-out. Until that changes on a mass scale, Samsung is going to skate by with these troubling issues.

Divisive Touchwiz and dubious privacy concerns on Samsung phones
      Cheating in benchmarks
      Bait/Switch panel lottery in Samsung TV’s and monitors
      Exploding capacitors spanning generations of TVs
      Massive multi-billion lawsuit slagging match with Apple for almost a decade
      840 EVO; slow fix for Windows, 3 year fix for non-windows Firmware, no recall or refunds
      Forking Android yet again with Tizen, IP theft and counder-lawsuits ensue.
      Vanilla 840 bug (never owned up to that in the first place) only fixed it [i<]3 years late.[/i<] Exploding Note 7 phablets Violently exploding washing machines that destroy the room/structure they're in. Exploding [i<]fixed, assuredly-safer, [/i<]Note 7 phablets [b<]No, Samsung are not a nice company. No, Samsung cannot be trusted. No, Samsung don't give a damn about you, the customer.[/b<] It's not as if other companies aren't out to make money too, but Samsung seem to be the worst example by a pretty good margin, constantly toeing the legal, ethical and moral lines.

• flip-mode

Damn that is a serious list.

There are probably more; Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

• EndlessWaves

I don’t know about ‘not trustworthy’ but certainly a low margin brand that has no interest in getting into major repair programs.

In short, a company you don’t want to be buying a high end or luxury product from.

• Entr0py

My friend texted me yesterday saying, “Should I buy a note 7”. I immediately responded with a “NO”. However, he wasn’t serious. His next text said “Or a LiPo battery and a nail?”. Of course I recommended the LiPo and nail, as its effect would be the same, but the LiPo and nail would be cheaper.

This is really bad for Samsung, as people might be less likely to buy phones from the Note line. They’ll either have to change the name of the lineup or hope that people forget.

So why is it just the notes catching fire? Do Samsung use a specific battery vendor for the notes that they don’t use on their other lines? Seems unlikely.

Scrapping the whole note line altogether hints that the size-to-thinness ratio of the Note is just too great to offer safe structural integrity for the battery. It flexes, shorts and explodes, maybe?

If that’s the case I’d like to point out that nobody actually specifically asks for thin phones. Manufacturers presume we customers want them because we keep buying them but forget to remember that we’re not being offered a choice.

I’ll still keep waiting for my inch-thick brick with two weeks of battery life. Yeah, it’ll be heavy but no heavier than that coffee I just chugged.

Probably not JUST a specific vendor, but also a specific model with a specific capacity in a specific size.

• Philldoe

Samsung make their own batteries. They are actually quite good at it. The faults likely lie with the phone hardware, not the battery.

• just brew it!

Unless their battery vendors screwed up twice, it has almost gotta be either a flexing issue, or bad battery charging hardware/firmware in the phone.

• chuckula

Yeah, I don’t pay too much attention to the specifics of these phones but obviously there’s enough of a structural difference to make the Note 7 a problem while the S7 hasn’t seen these issues.

• blastdoor

That seems like a reasonable hypothesis, except that the iPhone 7+ is even thinner yet doesn’t appear to have this problem. Both are made with 7000 series aluminum, so it’s not like Samsung is skimping on materials.

So maybe it is possible to have this size-to-thinness ratio, but maybe it’s just very hard to implement well, and we’re seeing here that Samsung wasn’t able to pull it off this time.

• ludi

I prefer the theory that their thinness targets resulted in tight constraints on the size of the battery, which they were then overdriving to get the desired charging rates and runtimes.

Hah, that would be ironic, wouldn’t it; A stupid marketing-department constraint that severly hurt their market value, market share and marketability.

Here’s Samsung’s statement:

[url<]https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-will-ask-all-global-partners-to-stop-sales-and-exchanges-of-galaxy-note7-while-further-investigation-takes-place[/url<] [quote<]<snip> Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.[/quote<] Samsung seems to be insisting that it's not dead yet, but c'mon.

• Devils41

I will say I am on my replaced Note 7 and its dead to me.

• superjawes

“I don’t want to go on the cart!”

“Think I’ll go for a walk!”

• just brew it!

Some of the news reports are referencing a filing with the South Korean stock exchange that indicates a “final decision” to halt production. I have not been able to find a copy of this filing (and I suppose even if I did, it is probably in Korean).

I haven’t either. Searching for it is what found me that link, which is dated today (but might be from yesterday thanks to the international date line’s location)

• torquer

Owned.

• blastdoor

I think this is a good move. They are taking a decisive step here to contain the massive damage this has done to their brand. This gives them an opportunity to try again next year with the Note 8.

• superjawes

I bet they kill the “Note” brand completely. Using the same name as a product that literally caught fire (even after a fix!) would poison future devices.

They can still make a “Note” line of products (even using old hardware), but slapping a new name, slightly different look, and new marketing campaign is probably the best way to wall off the troubled past.

• blastdoor

Good point!

Samsung Galaxy Phab

• Concupiscence

They can replace it with the Newt. I can read the clickbait copy now…

“Now I know what you’re saying. The name Note was poison, so why Newt? Because [b<]it got better.[/b<]" I'll see myself out.

my wife says it should be called the Galaxy Nope 8

• trackerben

They should rename it the Notate. That way, no one can joke about “burning note 8 my homework” or something. Oh wait…

• ImSpartacus

Or release a Note 7+ in a couple months with a fix and some novelty improvements (higher soc clock, etc).

• Wirko

Judging by the name alone, I’d trust Note 5+ more than Note 7+.

• UberGerbil

I’m not sure this contains it. Many (maybe most) consumers don’t see / understand the distinction between Galaxy 7 and Galaxy Note 7. For that matter in casual conversations I’ve had about these events a lot of people seem to have internalized is as simply “All New Samsung Phones Catch Fire/Explode” with no distinction about models whatsoever; they may not even be aware there is more than one model produced by Samsung.

This is in keeping with a dichotomy I’ve noticed amongst the tech-apathetic in general, where it’s not Android vs iOS but Samsung vs Apple or Galaxy vs iPhone. That worked really well for Samsung when it effectively made them the only Android alternative in many minds, but it’s going to hurt them now (and certainly help their Android competitors, who may suddenly gain visibility — though it’ll help Apple the most, of course).

• the

Why would Samsung have to light the funeral pyre when the phones themselves will spontaneously catch fire?

• superjawes

Did they light the pyre with an original Note 7 or a “fixed” one?

• LiamC

por qué no los dos?

• tipoo

“The reports of the permanent termination of the Galaxy Note7 follow one day after a $17 billion drop in Samsung’s market capitalization and single-day stock price drop of 8%.”

What you’re saying is there’s a [i<]fire[/i<] sale on Samsung stock? What, too soon?

• morphine

Yes, of course. A lot of market valuation just went up in smoke.

• LocalCitizen

investors took note, and killed it