Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterforce WB is ready for liquid-cooling loops

Most first-tier graphics card manufacturers these days have liquid-cooled versions of their top-end cards. MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus all offer GTX 1080 cards with an AIO liquid cooler strapped around them. Gigabyte is now trying a different tack: a GTX 1080 that comes from the factory with a waterblock installed, ready to be slipped into existing liquid-cooling loops. Say hi to the "GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Waterforce WB 8G," not to be confused with its "WB"-less cousin.

The card comes out of the box neatly sandwiched between a metal back plate and a full-coverage copper waterblock with an acrylic window. That's not all, though—the card's RGB-LED lighting shines through the waterblock's window and sides. One has to wonder if it flashes bright red repeatedly in case of a coolant leak. The card's GPU can hit 1898MHz in the regular "Gaming" mode and 1936MHz in "OC" mode.

Gigabyte says this card packs "Titan X-grade" chokes and capacitors, and strapped two white LEDs along the PCIe power connectors that will blink if the voltage going through them appears unstable. Along with the usual selection of GTX 1080 output ports around the back, the Waterforce WB has a couple internally-accessible HDMI ports for facilitating connection to a VR headset.

There's no price information yet, but given that Gigabyte's Xtreme Gaming version of the GTX 1080 goes for around $700 and the WaterForce model with an AIO liquid cooler sells for around $770, we guesstimate by Mark I Eyeball that the price for the model in display will land somewhere between those two numbers. Gigabyte covers the card with a 4-year warranty after online registration.

• footman

I wonder if the waterblock is in house?
    I just bought an MSI SeaHawk EK and this is pretty sweet. The Gigabyte version looks nice too.

All well cooled 1080’s seem to boost to the same speed regardless of how they are overclocked due to the dynamic boost that Nvidia implemented.
    I boost to max 2166mhz regardless of how high I manually overclock the card and usually in game the oc settles on stable 2114mhz.

• vargis14

Wish I had the money just for a EVGA 1080 to power my 3440-1440 monitor instead of my 2 EVGA 4gb GTX770 classified cards in SLI. Luckily they have enough power to run War Thunder at max graphics and stay well above my monitors 60hrtz refresh rate, but I do still cap it at a lucky 66fps since there is no reason to push 120+ fps and use all that power for no reason at all and stress these older card more than necessary.

• Entr0py

I’m running 1 1920×1080 for war thunder on a 390. I get around 120-140 fps at max. How is 3440×1440 for WT?

• vargis14

At 3440-1440 War Thunder looks magically realistic…..when I went from 1080p to 1440p it was like going from SD to HD all over again. IMHO 4k is overkill unless it is a very large screen in the 40″ area and I also feel 1440p is the best gaming resolution since you do not need as much AA or AF even though I still use 16x AA and 4x AF but I stay away from FXAA blur my whole screen BS, but for some using 1080p they like it.
        I do not know how often you play I am in the Squadron Elit3 under the name Anthony_Vargis if you want to look me up…we are a english speaking realistic squadron in the process of recruiting pilots and tankers and yes Teamspeak is a must since the in game chat will not allow seperate chanels between the air team and ground team during SB’s….so far we are doing very well in squadron battles with us in the last 2 week going from 130th place to 38th place as of last night…..I am a pilot, recruiter and the Tech Mechanic for the squad….it’s amazing how many people I have help increase their frame rate from 40-100% and 90% of the time it’s just them using the wrong power settings, even people using gaming laptops with dedicated cards are getting 40% jumps in performance with power settings alone:)
        The cheating most of the top teams use is frustrating and we do not tolerate any cheating in our squad whatsoever beside using the in game post FX settings to turn night to day and I only do that because in real life besides night bombing no real battles took place at night beside some navy action with any regularity. Hope to hear from ya.

• Entr0py

I play Russian RB. Lots of yak 3p.
          Also cheating makes games boring. I don’t cheat. Never will, as it’s not fun.

• DPete27

The lighting in that top photo actually looks pretty sweet.

• Neutronbeam

I think that now that I’m old and cranky I fall more into the “Hell no, we won’t glow!” camp.

• vargis14

I am with you I lost interest in all lighting inside my PC a long time ago…my 2 770 classified cards have a row of 5 ultra bright white LED’s on them that you can not control and do nothing but blind people outside my house since it is sitting right next to a window on my left side…then my Sound Blaster Z card which I love has a bright red LED with no purpose either.

Luckily since the PC is to my left I do not have to look at the lights blaring out the side of it since PC windows are on the left side as well 😛