Logitech M220 Silent is the anti-TR mouse

Do you visit The Tech Report every day looking for the latest news on input devices, but consistently leave disappointed by the focus on mechanical keyboards and mice with Omron switches designed for audible feedback? Today is your lucky day, because Logitech has launched the M220 Silent mouse just for someone like you. Logitech says the M220 Silent has switches with special sauce to deliver the same tactile feedback of a normal mouse button but with 90% less audio output. The manufacturer also claims the feet are made of "high performance" material that contribute to a diminished sonic signature.

Unlike most mice covered here at The Tech Report, the M220 Silent does not have a braided USB cable with a gold-plated USB connector. It has no USB cable at all. It comes instead with Logitech's bog-standard Unifying receiver that can reach up to 33' (10m). The mouse is powered by a single AA battery. That lonely batttery will probably be in the mouse for a while, as battery life is rated at eighteen months.

Logitech claims the mouse works with Windows, macOS, Linux, and Chrome OS. This claim seems reasonable because the mouse has just two buttons and a scroll wheel. No extra software is needed, as this mouse has no macro capabilities and the sensitivity is locked at the sensor's maximum of 1,000 DPI.

Logitech claims the M220 Silent is the first company to receive the Quiet Mark certification for a computer mouse, though one has to wonder how many other mouse companies have even applied. The M220 Silent mouse is available from Logitech for $25.

• Bearded1

I’m still using my original first gen MX518. Had to resolder broken solder joints on left and right button switches a cpl of times but still good as new. Apart from the little feet have worn down to the plastic. And crap caked into edges and seams. (but it’s my crap so not minging 🙂

• ludi

This looks just about like my M310. Wonder if the wheel has detents? A lack of detents has been a deal breaker on some other recent Logitech mice because it can lead to weird behavior in Autocad and other applications that permit very precise wheel scrolling/zooming.

• kvndoom

I’ve been using an M510 for the past 2 years. When it broke, I replaced it with another M510. And when this one breaks, I now already have a spare. And when that one goes…

Needles to say, I’ve found my perfect mouse. Perfect size, weight, comfort, and buttons.

• RdVi

This mouse just sums up the market for me:

Not enough (this mouse) —– or —– Too much (most gaming or even ‘design’ mice)

Most low key mice are too small (laptop mice) and lacking buttons, while most fully featured mice are visually ugly or just too much for what I need (buttons, features, price).

• thedosbox

Yeah “small size” is not a feature that I care about – even in a mouse that I carry around in a backpack. Light weight? Maybe. Gazillion buttons? Multiple adjustable DPI? Unnecessary. Comfort? Definitely – and that excludes this particular mouse.

• albundy

got one for the office a few months ago since it’s so cheap. i think these have been out since august.

• JosiahBradley

Would consider wired version.

Can confirm this is definitely [i<]a thing[/i<]. :O I have had complaints from some staff in the past that our standard issue Microsoft mice are too noisy. I just fish a Logitech B100 basic mouse out of a box and they walk away happy. First time it happened I thought they were a little bit weird but over the years as we cycle staff it has happened several times so it clearly upsets some people!

• NeelyCam

I think I would prefer the [url=http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/m330-silent-plus?crid=7<]M330 Silent Plus for $29.99[/url<], because of this: [quote<]"M330 SILENT PLUS features Logitech® Advanced Optical Tracking for ultra precise moves on almost any surface."[/quote<] If that's like the MX Anywhere (which I can use [i<]anywhere[/i<], including on my arm), it'd definitely be worth the extra $5. Also, they claim 24mo battery life instead of 18mo.

• willmore

As a long time anywhere mouse fan, I have to give this sensor a double thumbs up. It reliably tracks on anything but air.

• JustAnEngineer

I use my MX Anywhere on a [i<]glass end table[/i<]. It's amazing!

• BillyBuerger

I need to try out one of these things. I remember when the Nexus silent mouse came out years ago. I always wanted to try that although I don’t think it got great reviews. I’ve been using Logitech wireless mice for many years and an overall happy with them. So hopefully this will continue. If it really works, it’ll fit in nicely with my mechanical keyboard (OLKB Atomic with 65g Zealios) when the Zealencios group buy comes in. Quiet mouse + quiet mechanical keyboard = heaven.

• flip-mode

$25 mouse on TR? Ambidextrous? No laser canons (edit: I mean LEDs)? No buttons inside buttons to control other buttons? I’ve been waiting for this day for a long time.

• TwoEars

But it doesn’t have a a braided USB cable with a gold-plated USB connector. Can you really live with that?

• davidbowser

I don’t even want to THINK of a world with out gold-plated USB connectors.

This is just uncomfortable for everyone involved. Lets never speak of this again.

• Duct Tape Dude

I thought the main TR complaint with mice (and anything for that matter) is that they are [i<]visually[/i<] loud. It's nice to see a mouse without all the blinking RGB LEDs, though I wish it had more buttons.

• morphine

The main complaint [i<]from the loud minority that comments[/i<] is that they're visually loud 😉 Note: I'm not a fan of crazy lighting myself, but it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking everyone should have the same tastes.

• Khali

[quote<]Note: I'm not a fan of crazy lighting myself, but it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking everyone should have the same tastes.[/quote<] Some one should point this out to the tiny case advocates and the anti CD drive crowds. Oh wait, I just did.

• Wirko

For the visual part, use black paint. Or black tape. Or take the thing apart and grind away the LEDs. We at TR are a large bunch of DIYers, aren’t we?

Now try to make a loud switch less loud. Not so easy, huh?

• Khali

Its a lot easier to just not buy the ugliness in the first place.

• Voldenuit

Well, most RGB LED mice have configurable brightness and the LEDs can even be turned off.

And I wouldn’t say that RGB LEDs are completely useless. Many gaming mice these days have switchable profiles and on-board memory, meaning you can recall profiles that have been programmed into the mouse even without the configuration software installed or running. If you associate each profile with a different RGB color, this is useful to distinguish profiles when switching between them on the fly.

• I.S.T.

If only it had side buttons. a few of the games I play make use of them(Was really handy in Warframe to just have a button for pulling out your melee weapon, especially if you specialized in Melee like I did).

• Voldenuit

Yeah, I love the smartcast buttons on my Roccat Kova. Have them bound to melee and reload in Overwatch.

• just brew it!

No tilt switches on the mouse wheel make it a non-starter for me. A regular mouse is quieter than my mechanical keyboard anyway!

• Inkling

For me it’s the lack of a back button on the side. If it had that one feature I’d buy it sight-unseen for my work rig right now.

• JustAnEngineer

I specify 5-button mice for all work applications because of this. The ergonomic/productivity benefits of button 4 are immense!

• HERETIC

When you’ve been using a back button for years-using a mouse without one
        is akin going back to the old ball mice(dust collectors)
        Saying that I never use the forward button-actually I remap and reverse mine
        as I find the buttons on recent mice are too far back……………….