Rumor: Microsoft will unveil a Kaby Lake refresh for Surface devices

Microsoft might be getting ready to drop Kaby Lake CPUs into its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 devices, if a change to Amazon's listings is anything to go on. The company has an event set for October 26, where experts are expecting it to show off a Surface-branded All-In-One system alongside some news on where Windows 10 is headed. Windows Central spotted a change on Amazon that shows all listings for the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 now tagged with "(OLD VERSION)," and we wouldn't be surprised to see a refresh announced at the event.

It's important to note that these devices aren't expected to be called Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 5. A source told Windows Central that Microsoft is talking about a Kaby Lake Surface Book that is otherwise identical to the current edition. A Kaby Lake upgrade would bring a small power boost and improved battery life to the device, and bring it up to current specs until Microsoft unveils a more substantial update.

Take this with a full-sized grain of salt at this point, but with Microsoft's event less than two weeks out, we'll know one way or the other soon.

• gmskking

Guess I will have to update all my Surface devices….oh wait.

• kamikaziechameleon

The MS product line is only bad in so much as its hard to know when they are going to back a certain workflow or usage model. Just look at the death of their wearable.

• SixIron

If this is true then it will become the SP4 rev1?

I’ll believe it when I see the current SP4’s begin to get discounted or go on sale. They will have to do something to clear out the inventory of current gen devices.

• sweatshopking

They’ve been having massive sales for literally months. Huge discounts, especially for education.

• SixIron

Really? They do the education discount every year. There is nothing about that tied to SP4 inventories. Right now at MS store they are offering $100 off ONE SP4 model, the 4 gig/128 gig/i5 model. Whoop de doo if that is huge.

• ronch

I can’t believe world+dog updates their products to the latest chips every year or when a newfangled chippery comes out. /s

• Shobai

If I understand the grumbling properly, there seems to be one fruity company with the courage not to do this

• Srsly_Bro

True. I hate new technology with it being all faster and more efficient. Who needs it! Not me, that’s who!

• Kraaketaer

I don’t believe many (any?) people do this, but OTOH, if you’re in the marked for a new [insert computing device], it’d be kind of silly if it wasn’t based on the tech best suited for the job available at that time. For anything where battery life is a concern, the most power-efficient chips in a given performance bracket, for example.

Laptop upgrade cycles for average consumers are 3-5 years. This doesn’t mean producers should only update their products every 3-5 years …

• RoxasForTheWin

I’m still holding hope that they make new bases with updated GPUs for the surface book. I have the base model and would shell out some cash for something above what is pretty much a 940m

• sweatshopking

not much of a rumor. they’ve updated every year for the past 4 years. new cpu’s are out. would be a surprise if they didn’t update.

• Kraaketaer

Technically, the direct replacement CPUs aren’t all out yet – the i7 SP4 has iris graphics, and there are no iris SKL parts yet.

I’m kind of in the market for a notebook (though probably not until after the first of the year). I’m caught between Kaby Lake versions of the XPS13 and a theoretical Surface Pro. Kinda leaning towards the Dell, but we’ll see what Microsoft has in January.

• JustAnEngineer

If you’re shopping the Dell XPS13, take a look at the Asus Zenbooks, while you’re at it.

Good idea. The X303 stores looks like a good competitor with more storage for less cash. How are the displays? I was looking at this guy

[url<]https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834232776[/url<]

• JustAnEngineer

The 13.3″ 1080p IPS display on my older Zenbook is very good. Anything with smaller pixels than that requires me to wear reading glasses. 🙁

Well, I wear glasses all the time anyway. I’m sure I’ll have to bump any 13-15″ display up to 125% if it’s 1080p.

• Kretschmer

If you’re price sensitive, I bought an XPS13 refurb off ebay for a discount. Amazing build quality and overall package.

• weaktoss

I’ve had the Skylake XPS13 for almost a year now, and I’m a big fan. No complaints, would buy again.

I keep reading that from everyone, which is why it’s on my list. Zenbooks have hinge issues from what I recall (cue Zenbook owner saying “mine is fine!”)

• torquer

Its nice to see a Microsoft hardware product last more than 2 generations.

• tipoo

Surface Pro 4, Surface 3, third Xbox, heck even the Zune had three (plus the Mini) 😛

• torquer

lol

• WhatMeWorry

I completely forgot about the Zune. Mmmm… Brown.

• Usacomp2k3

There were 4 generations to the Zune actually. 30GB brown, then the 80GB, then the small one’s, and then the Zune HD. (We owned at lest 1 device from all 4 generations)
          Actually 5 if you include the 2 Kin’s (We owned one of those too).

• sweatshopking

zune was a fantastic device. My 120GB still is in use today by my brother.

• tipoo

Zune HD. What is dead may never die.

• RedBearArmy

Looking at that pen i think they should integrate it with the base.
    And make it as useful as a wizards wand.

Also, charging port on Surface Pro 3 i get to use is a Real Magnet for metalic dust; would be nice to have a normal USB-C port.

If Wizards have the magic but the wand is just for focus, then how useful is it, really? As opposed to just using a carrot or a pencil, I mean.