PowerColor Devil Box cages high-performance graphics cards

AMD board partner PowerColor has announced the Devil Box external graphics card enclosure, based on AMD's XConnect technology. The Devil Box is a Thunderbolt 3 external graphics solution compatible with "qualified" AMD and Nvidia graphics cards. Owners of laptops and ultra-small-form-factor machines like Intel's Skull Canyon NUC can connect full-fat desktop graphics cards to their systems on the fly for enhanced performance in games and GPU-accelerated computation.

The enclosure measures 15.75" x 6.8" x 9.5" (40 cm x 17 cm x 24cm) and can accept video cards as big as 12.2" x 5.5" x 1.97" (31 cm x 14 cm x 50 cm). The Devil Box includes a 500W power supply. The graphics card inside it can pull as much as 375W, which is plenty for the latest crop of GPUs based on fabrication technologies measured in the teens of nanometers. The rest of the power supply's capacity goes to four USB 3.0 ports, a Gigabit Ethernet interface, and up to 60W for charging laptops charging over an extra USB 3.1 Type-C connector. PowerColor says the Devil Box should become available at any moment $379 at Newegg.

• ronch

PowerColor’s Devil 13 boxes have always been some of the most interesting packaging designs in the history of computing, even as they make me feel a little uneasy, and it’s kinda cool to see them take the concept one step further here.

Once again a shoebox-sized enclosure capable of holding a GPU costs as much as an mITX shoebox-sized PC capable of holding a GPU.

Oh hey, no thanks. I’m not that deseperate to play games on my Core-M (underpowered) ultrabook’s 13.3″ screen and cramped low-travel keyboard.

• Voldenuit

Right?

My last mATX build cost me $389 and that included an i5 4670K, Z87 motherboard, 8 GB RAM, case and PSU (I recycled an old SSD and added a GPU later).

• alphadogg

My suggestions:
    A) Drop all the silly extras. Not needed.
    B) Drop the “Tramp Stamp” logo.

I’m assuming the price is high because of limited market, but I’d expect not too many buyers at that price.

Thing is it’s the cheapest external graphics adapter out there.

And still about $330 more than it has any right being, regardless of tramp-stamp.

• cygnus1

Cheapest and possibly most feature rich as well. Competition is going to bring these prices down further, I’m thinking.

• cygnus1

Wayne, you didn’t get the complete specs. This has more than what you listed. It also has a 2.5″ drive bay and SATAIII port inside. This will let you add a large SSD inside the enclosure as well. No need to install all the games you want to play that need the eGPU on your laptops internal drive.

I like everything about this except the price. I’d go up to $300 for these features. This is really what I want to go with my next laptop.

• DPete27

Jeee, I wonder [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553020<]where they got the case design idea from[/url<]

• End User

Dressing this up as a consumer product is so misleading. This is clearly a prosumer/SMB product. No consumer needs the amazing bandwidth that Thunderbolt 3 provides. Stick with USB 2.0.

Don’t do drugs!

• The Egg

Too much fluff. Cut out the laptop charger and USB ports. External GPU enclosures could sell like hotcakes if anyone ever priced one competitively. They should be aiming for <$150.

• cygnus1

I feel like this is more aimed at new laptops coming out to basically also function as a laptop dock. Connect your one TB3/USB Type-C connector to the laptop and you get the GPU, network, and stationary USB ports all connected plus charging of the laptop.

• Voldenuit

Jebus, $379 for this????

Dell’s Alienware Amplifier is $199. Perhaps not the best comparison, since the AlAmp is using some bullshut proprietary connection, but we’re talking about a metal box, PCIE ribbon and a PSU, none of which should add up past $40 in BOM.

If Powercolor wants to charge a 1,000% markup on their product, they can go suck a pig.

• DPete27

They’re all overpriced. Makes no sense.

• rechicero

Wait, is 379 without GPU???????????? For that price it better cleans the house, or do the dishes or something too.

• tay

I know what something I have in mind…

• chuckula

ME TOO!

Mowing the lawn is a real hassle after all.

• Neutronbeam

Or painting the house.

• SHOES

I think your looking for the “Mighty Workboy”….

• Neutronbeam

The Razer Core is supposed to cost more … [url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/news/razer-core-dock-price-gpus,31419.html[/url<] EDIT: Cut out "but does not seem to exist yet"

• Neutronbeam

“they can go suck a pig”. Let me fix that for you for my part of the U.S.

Here in the southern U.S. they would be referred to as “gravy-suckin’ pigs.”

• flatrock

My understanding is that Thunderbolt devices need to be approved by Intel/Apple and that it is a less than simple process.

That both raises development costs and limits competition.

The price should drop some if they get enough early adopters to help cover the initial development costs and there appears to be a large enough market to spread development and support costs across.

But for the moment, it’s a great idea that costs far too much for me.

• ronch

This enclosure is forged in the fiery pits of hell. $379 is a steal, considering what the makers have to go through.

OK, sorry, that was a really bad joke. I feel bad for telling it.

• Kretschmer

Does a buyer need driver support from the laptop manufacturer? If not this is a buy for me, though I might need to put a cardboard box over it to hide the awful, horrible, and distracting giant logo.

• TheRazorsEdge

The box bridges the video card over Thunderbolt.

If you have working Thunderbolt, you should only need to install the video driver.