Xiaomi reveals Mi Mix phone with a 6.4″ edgeless display

Narrow-bezel design is all the rage in PC monitors right now, but the idea is more than just fashionable in the context of a smartphone. Less bezel means more screen in the same-size phone, and Xiaomi apparently agrees. Its new Mi Mix "concept phone" uses a 6.4" IPS display that the company calls "edgeless." While that's obviously not quite true, the 91.3% screen-to-body ratio is the best we've seen.

The phone's Philippe Starck-penned industrial design is the stuff of geeky dreams. The huge 1080×2040 display is curved slightly on either edge, and the corners are curved too. Besides the almost-full-coverage screen, the entire phone—back, frame, and buttons—is made from ceramic rather than plastic or aluminum.

The display reaches all the way to the top of the phone, so the sensors and speakers that usually reside on a bezel there had to be moved or replaced. The Mi Mix produces sound with a piezoelectric system that vibrates the phone's ceramic casing. For proximity detection, the phone uses an ultrasonic sensor. The front-facing camera is still there, at least; it just got moved to the remaining bottom bezel.

The Mi Mix isn't just a pretty face, either. Xiaomi equips the edgeless "concept phone" with Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 821 SoC running at up to 2.35 GHz. The phone will come in two versions: one with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, and another with 6GB of RAM and 256GB of storage—plus 18-karat gold accents on the back. Either way, the phone will take a pair of SIM cards and regular old 3.5-mm headphones.

Despite calling the new phone a "concept," Xiaomi is actually offering it for sale. The 4GB version will be launching at RMB 3499 ($516), while the 6GB version will be a step up at RMB 3999 ($590). The new phones are expected to launch in China on November 4. As is usual for Xiaomi, there's no word on a US release.

• End User

Wow! 6GB + 256GB + that display = very nice indeed.

• NeelyCam

No microSD, no…

Wait.. 256GB? Hmm… maybe I could make an exception..

• dyrdak

SD slot is not just for extra capacity. It also provides the option to move one’s data without the need to rely on middle man (either because of data security or just price).

• NeelyCam

Excellent point.

• RdVi

Can we just have 10mm bezels top and bottom and 2mm sides? We didn’t need to go this far, just something like LG or Motorola phones circa 2013-14 was fine.

• willmore

How about the LeEco Le 3 and the Pro model? Those look nice. Anyone interested in those?

• rechicero

Didnt know them. Big for my tastes but at the very least they dont go the 1440p nonsense and the rest looks solid. A version in 4,7 and 720p (with the same battery) would be awesome. For that price… amazing.

Bad thing: the USB C. Yeah, new shiny thing… Faster… But 99,99% of the use is for recharging and that thing makes 99,99% of the chargers not compatible. And it’s always great being able to charge the phone on the go without carrying your own charger.

• PFarkas

USB-A to USB-C cables are readily available, inexpensive, and will work with modular chargers that came with USB-A to Micro-USB.

Investing a few dollars in some new cables so you can enjoy USB-C with your existing chargers and never again squint to verify cable orientation is a pretty good deal.

• rechicero

I guess I wasn’t clear. At home you dont need those cables, you’re supposed to have your charger. And when out, having to bring an extra cable just for… no return (for 99% of users) doesn’t seem like a good thing.

In a PC with ports in the back, ok, USB C has a point. For a devices that is (99% of times) only going to be connected to a charger… not at all. Please, don’t be manichaeist. USB C is good for some needs, cellphones is not one of those.

• willmore

I would completely disagree. USB-PD makes USB-C ideal for smart phones and tablets. It makes less sense on a full up PC unless it’s being used more for one of the alternate modes like thunderbolt or displayport.

• RdVi

Those two phones lie about the screen size it seems. They have a very good screen to body ratio on paper, and the press shots show the screen extending very close to the edges of the glass, but the reality is a ~3mm black bar around the screen. Either the screens aren’t actually the size they state or the phone isn’t.

Only mentioning it because the phone in the article is all about screen to body ratio above all else.

Having used a couple of S7 Edges for our company GearVR headsets, I’m quite positive that any phone I ever consider buying will need an edge.

Not only do I not like the feel of thin edges, I also find the edge very necessary to stop my normal, non-pudgy finger tissue from registering false touches and swipes around the edges of the screen.

The bezel on any tablet is really important. It’s the bit you hold it by, same rule applies to phones, only the one-handed nature of them means that the left and right sides perform the role of “somewhere to hold the phone by”.

So yeah, this is a gorgeous-looking, utterly impractical (and probably uselessly fragile) phone that should never be bought by anyone hoping to [i<]actually use it[/i<].

• nico1982

Being a 6.4″ monster, the bezels are actually rather conventional, I’d say even slightly larger than iPhone & Co. [url<]http://i.imgur.com/Kora4P8l.png[/url<] 🙂 I don't think accidental interaction is going to be a frequent issue.

• ratte

Oh yes, design by Philip Starck. Anybody here remember his juicer sold by Alessi ?
    Gorgeous thing, looked like a three legged alien, was standard in all designer kitchens some years ago.
    One slight issue though. I f you actually tried to use it as a juicer, it squirted ALL the juice on to your pants and shirt. Only usable as a piece of art.
    Looks like he hasn’t abandoned his design philosophy of form over function.

• drfish

Wow, that is a strange pull. Looked it up, really cool. 🙂

• willmore

My MS Architectural History GF had one. I was going to use it once and she flipped out. Seems she felt it was only for form and not for function. As an engineer, this was a foreign concept to me. Boy, were going to parties with her friends akward.

Edit: not only don’t I understand the emphasis on ‘form’, but it seems I can’t even spell it. Fixed.

• Shinare

My problem is that I already have problems accidentally touching the screen with the hand that is holding the phone. I can’t imagine having absolutely no bufferzone on the sides for my grip. I must be holding it wrong. Kappa

• willmore

You need to get one of those rings that you stick to the back.

• Wirko

In a couple of years, every high end phone will have its display extended to the whole visible surface. There will be a small area without icons on the sides, however … for those who [i<]really[/i<] want to hold their phones with their hands.

• excession

Wait – 4GB and 6GB? Storage? What?

• tipoo

” 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, and another with 6GB of RAM and 256GB of storage”

• excession

That’d be my excellent reading skills right there. Thank you.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Besides the almost-full-coverage screen, the entire phone—back, frame, and buttons—is made from ceramic rather than plastic or aluminum.[/quote<] Welcome to Crack City. Population: YOU.

• LauRoman

Where’s the Mayor’s Office? Right up Main Street…

• rwburnham

Where do we put our fingers?

• DPete27

Ask Trump.

• ronch

Displays with thin bezels undoubtedly look cool but I realize I’d rather have some ‘margins’ to block out whatever’s behind the display.

• sweatshopking

AWESOME! WE DIDNT BREAK OUR PHONES ENOUGH!

• Neutronbeam

I think you just broke mine…

• Vhalidictes

Since I don’t drop my phones (like most people?) and use cases most of the time (unlike most people?) this looks perfect to me.

The low resolution is nice too, should help with battery life.

• tay

Your case will cover part of your screen, unless you get a case that doesn’t wrap around in which case (haw haw) a side drop will still kill it.

• Voldenuit

Good luck finding a case that won’t obscure the edges of your display.

• meerkt

Maybe one day we could again have the “case” incorporated into the phone.
          You know, like they used to make them, rugged enough by design.

• chµck

Or at least make them a bit more modular so that the innards are easily swapped into new bodies

• Redocbew

[quote<]Since I don't drop my phones[/quote<] I was just thinking the same thing the other day until I dropped my phone in a parking lot and watched it bounce across the pavement, then I was very glad I had a case for it. Had I been using this phone, first of all I would need bigger pockets, and secondly I might be needing a new phone right now.