In the lab: Gigabyte’s GeForce GTX 1050 G1 Gaming graphics card

We've already seen what Nvidia's board partners are doing with the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, and now we have that chip's slightly cut-down sibling in the lab with Gigabyte's GeForce GTX 1050 G1 Gaming card. Behold:

This G1 Gaming card is Gigabyte's highest-end take on the most affordable Pascal. It features a full-length metal backplate, RGB LED lighting, a hefty dual-fan cooler with plenty of copper inside, and hopped-up clocks: 1417 MHz base and 1531 MHz boost in "gaming" mode, compared to Nvidia's reference 1354 MHz base and 1455 MHz boost speeds. For overclocking insurance, Gigabyte also outfitted this card with a six-pin external power connector. Keep an eye out for our full review soon.

• DPete27

Interesting that of their THREE dual fan GTX 1050 offerings separated by 40MHz clockspeed and $20 you get:
    OC 2G = Aluminum heatsink
    OC Windforce 2G = 1 heatpipe
    G1 = 2 heatpipes + aluminum backplate

Kindof makes you wonder what’s actually NEEDED for a 75W card.

Their GTX 1050Ti cards follow this same segmentation.

• DPete27

For whatever reason, I don’t find Gigabyte’s 1050/1050Ti shrouds as nausea-inducing as their other current gen cards.

Also, notice the “Fan Stop” LED on the card pictured….really?

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Also, notice the "Fan Stop" LED on the card pictured....really?[/quote<] I find the 'Fan Stop' LED on my Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070 useful for checking that the fan has stopped when I don't have MSI Afterburner up on my second monitor. It's configurable, you can disable the Fan Stop in software if you don't want it. And the RGB LEDs can be configured to change color with temperature, I believe (never used that functionality myself).

• cheddarlump

I have the windforce 1060, which has the same feature but no led. First time I booted the new pc after booting, I almost shit my pants thinking the card was bad.. I wish mine had the LED. I went to the support site on another pc and that was the first thing I read, “It’s normal for the fans not to spin until under load.”

• DPete27

Semi-passive fans saw widespread (albeit not complete) market adoption last generation. I’ve yet to find any GPUs this generation from the major manufacturers that DON’T feature semi passive fans.

• Mr Bill

Counter rotating fans, interesting; but no Magic Artifact card for scale.