Deals of the week: a GTX 1080, photography gear, and more

Greeting, fellow gerbils. I know what you're looking for. Deals, isn't it? You crave them and can't get enough of 'em. Fret no more, for here at TR we have the finest selection available for your pleasure. Take a gander at our wares.

• Let's kick things off with the big hitter. Who wants a GTX 1080? Easy now, no need to scream. MSI's GTX 1080 Gaming is selling for $628.79 at Newegg after promo code EMCFEGJ26. That's slightly above Nvidia's recommended $600, but you won't find a card with as nice a cooler for that price.

• Looking to build the mother of all HTPCs, or maybe a NAS machine? You'll find few cases better for those purposes than Fractal Design's Node 804. This gorgeous case can take in as many as twelve hard drives, and offers dust filters and radiator mountings to boot. Newegg is selling this case for $69.99, which is a heck of a deal considering the Node 804 comes with three of Fractal's Silent Series R2 fans.

• We're all about the fancy gaming monitors here, but not everyone's wallet stretches that far. Luckily, we have a good affordable option. The Asus MG248Q is a 24" monitor with a 1920×1080 resolution. That's not very impressive, until you notice the 144Hz refresh rate with FreeSync support. The stand also allows for full ergonomic adjustments, too. The MG248Q can be yours for $249.99 at Newegg.

• Microsoft's Surface Pro machines are pretty sexy machines, and we have a good deal on one. The Surface Pro 3 convertible with a Core i5 CPU, a 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM is selling for only $524 at Newegg. The machine's build quality is top-notch, and its 2160×1440 screen is a sight for sore eyes. Get'em while they're hot.

• If you prefer your laptops of the "gaming" variety, we have something for you too. The Acer Aspire E5-575G-57A4 (as it's known to friends) is a 15.6" laptop with a 1080p screen, powered by a Core i5-7200U CPU and a GeForce GTX 950M graphics card. There's eight gigabytes of memory on tap, too. The cherry on the top is its dual storage configuration: a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive, which is a near-perfect combo. Newegg is selling this laptop for $639.

• Mirrorless cameras may be all the rage these days, but Nikon's D750 DSLR is still one of the finest semi-pro cameras available. This body offers a 24-megapixel, full-frame sensor, a sophisticated 51-point autofocus system with subject-tracking, a tilting screen, and compatibility with almost every Nikon lens ever made. Adorama is selling the refurbished version of this body for $1,399.99, or about $400 off Nikon's current price (the discount will only kick in once the item is in your cart). Editor-in-Chief Jeff Kampman has had a great experience with refurbished Nikon products (including his personal Nikon D810) so there's little risk in hopping on this deal unless a 90-day warranty scares you for whatever reason. DPReview says the D750 "does nearly everything right." and handed it a 90% overall score in its grading—good enough for the site's coveted Gold Award.

• Speaking of Nikon deals, the company is running a sale on the Nikon D810 uber-SLR. This 36-megapixel beast has been selling for about $2800 recently, but Nikon is lopping another $200 or so off for a final price of $2,496.95. Even a couple years after its introduction, the D810 offers nearly unparalleled image quality, dynamic range, and exposure latitude in raw shooting. Our Editor-in-Chief works his D810 hard, and he can attest to its competence under pressure. This sale brings the cost of a new body in line with what refurbished D810s used to go for, so if you've been on the fence, now would be a good time to pounce. DPReview deemed the D810 worthy of its Gold Award, as well.

There's a chance you're looking for a deal on something we didn't feature here. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store and Das Keyboard's shop.

That's it for today, dear gerbils. If you happen to run across a hot deal that we missed, share it with your comrades in the comments section below.

• CScottG

1070 for 380:

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500409[/url<]

• travbrad

A 1070 for the official MSRP!? I never thought I’d see the day (even if it is “on sale”)

• Shobai

My father is in the market for a replacement laptop. If I could find [i<]anything[/i<] like that Acer deal over here in sunny Australia, I'd be a happy man. US$640 works out to be about AU$845. For [url=https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/acer/acer-aspire-f5-573g-59zr-15-notebook/318637/<]$1000[/url<] I can get an Acer Aspire F5-573G-59ZR: same CPU as the one linked above, with the GTX 940MX, a 1366 x 768 display, 128GB SSD and no spinner... what a deal! If I want 1080p I have to go to a 13" or 14" device, or spend more like AU$1800.

• astrotech66

Well, I finally broke down and upgraded my video card using the deal you listed. I got the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming with the promo code listed, plus a $30 Newegg gift card I had for buying something else. And Gears of War 4 for free, and no tax, plus I think there’s a mail in rebate … final price less than $600. The only downside is that I have a FreeSync monitor, not GSync … but I suppose I’ll struggle through that …

• SoM

you’ll be just fine, wish i had waited to get this deal, got the gtx 1070 month ago about while building this new rig.. oh well

but i finally got the tombstone done for my mom/dad today

• mcnabney

The Fractal Design’s Node 804 is designed to ventilate a lot of mechanical drives – which isn’t silent. It would make a great mega-NAS or Home Server, but the HTPC niche requires both sleekness AND living room compatibility.

• cynan

Personally, I’d take the cropped D500 over the D750. But I guess it’s harder to find one of those on sale.

• Voldenuit

All the good lenses are FX, though. And if you’re mounting FX lenses on DX bodies, you’re not saving any weight, plus you lose out on the fast wide angle range.

Ppl tend to obsess over the body, but my advice is the lens selection is the most important part of a system camera, especially since good glass lasts longer than good bodies.

• davidbowser

I was given the same advice about glass and opted for the Canon 6D so that I was using EF lenses instead of EF-S.

The down side for me is that I went on a lens binge and acquired some good, some great, some crappy, used lenses. I stopped when I realized I had 3 lenses that were effectively the same.

• JustAnEngineer

When I upgraded from the APS-C 1.6 crop EOS 7D to the full-frame 35mm EOS 5D Mk. III, I had to give up my EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lenses. I also got rid of the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM.
          The new EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM and EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM do everything for me that those three lenses did, but better.

The EF 85mm f/1.8 USM that was a bit long for my indoor uses on a crop body is superb on the full-frame camera. I did lose some telephoto reach with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, but I can still crop in software if I need to.