Dishonored 2 launch trailer gives players a taste of choice

"Are we rushing in, or are we going sneaky-beaky-like?" That's the running motto of the Dishonored series of games, combining stealth and action (not mutually exclusively) in a first-person perspective. The first game had those contents wrapped in RPG elements, a great storyline, and a distinctive steampunk-victorian art style. Dishonored 2 is set to emerge soon, and it's looking as moody as its predecessor. Check out the launch trailer below.

Emily Kaldwin, the unofficial daughter of the previous game's lead character Corvo Attano, now joins her father in a protagonist role. Players with doubts about the availability of career choices in Dishonored 2 can rest easy. Bethesda's earlier videos depict both "low chaos" and "high chaos" paths through the same mission.

Unlike Ms. Kaldwin, Dishonored 2's base system requirements are rather tame. Prospective stabbers need only a Core i5-2400 or FX-8320 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7970 graphics card. For those going in commando-style with all the weaponry, Bethesda recommends a Core i7-4770 or FX-8350 CPU, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB card.

Perhaps to assuage some PC gamers' fears, the specs sheet mentions configurable graphics settings, uncapped frame rates, FOV adjustment, and multi-monitor support. There are also a few Nvidia-specific features like HBAO+ and TXAA. Dishonored 2 will emerge this Friday, but trusting gamers who preordered the title can start playing one day earlier.

• DPete27

Yikes. Looks like they kicked up the gore quite a bit. Taking a page from Doom on executions?

• ColeLT1

I made the mistake of playing Dishonored and the Thief 2014 reboot back to back last year, now I confuse the 2 story lines!

• crystall

Whoa, lots of action. I’m the only one who played the first one like a stealth game? It must be said that one of its qualities was to really offer very different ways of playing through it withvey significant consequences depending on your choice.

• Srsly_Bro

I did stealth with the perk where enemies disappear upon death. I learned my lesson on the first play through.

• Voldenuit

Seeing as there is a “high chaos” and “low chaos” world state, DH2 will still likely allow both stealth and violence options, or any combination of the two as the player chooses.

• Bensam123

Did it stealth, was a terrible idea. The game markets itself as ‘stealth’, but it’s definitely all about action.

• brucethemoose

Dishonored’s stealth path is more of a Batman style, where you try to avoid being seen and improvise gratuitously when you’re spotted, as opposed to a traditional stealth game where being caught = losing.

If you go for all stealth, you’re going to have a terrible time. I don’t understand how people could make it through the “ghost” playthroughs.

• crystall

[quote<]Dishonored's stealth path is more of a Batman style, where you try to avoid being seen and improvise gratuitously when you're spotted, as opposed to a traditional stealth game where being caught = losing.[/quote<] Yeah, that's one of the things that made it great. During my second play I tried to go for the "Mostly flesh and steel" achievement which requires you not to use your special powers and it was really exiting because of this. It was mostly about staying out of trouble, and dealing quickly with it when you were caught. [quote<]If you go for all stealth, you're going to have a terrible time. I don't understand how people could make it through the "ghost" playthroughs.[/quote<] I did on my first playthrough and it was fun. It requires some patience finding the right roads around groups of enemies you cannot face and creative use of your powers when you need to get rid of them. One of the things I loved was the ability to hide myself on a ledge/roof, blink down behind a guard, incapacitate it, grab the body and blink back where I came from to hide it. If done quickly enough you could take out groups of 2-3 guards with no trouble.

• brucethemoose

I tried a little bit, but I had to save scum way too much to actually do it.

Not that there’s anything wrong with save scumming, but the thrill of avoiding those errors and then dealing with them is just so much fun.

• brucethemoose

Oh yeah. I went for 0 deaths, and actually achieved it the 2nd time through.

I intend to play Dishonored 2 the same way. The “ghost” (no detection) style is a bit much for me though, I like taking risks and frantically escaping without killing when I get caught.

• CoD511

Dishonored was honestly one of my most memorable and favourite of games from the past 4-5 years now. One of my favourite all time games. I don’t doubt they’ve made an incredible game and at 12-20 hours long they say, that’s pretty damn decent for any recent handcrafted AAA title.

Awaiting my physical copy sadly.

I suspect I will have to play this.

Dishonored was above-averagely good, but not “stop what you’re doing and play this” good. If I see it on sale once all the bugs have been quashed and the DLC horse has been flogged to death, I’m sure it’ll be worthy of my precious time.

• Voldenuit

To me, Dishonored was brilliant. I liked it much more than Deus Ex: HR, Bioshock Infinite, or Thief. The art design and game world were compelling, the mechanics were tight, it had very emergent tactics and the levels were very non-linear in an accessible way that gave the player carte blanche to explore and experiment.

If DH2 is anything like the original, I’m going to love it.

• DancinJack

Agree very much.

• shaq_mobile

I did like the hl2 esqe art! I had a tough time getting into the game though…

• CoD511

Regarding DLC, I’d honestly have to say the Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches DLCs are some of the only “recent” DLCs that were worth forking out the money for on their release, though. Hopefully if there’s DLC addons as amazing as those were, I’m happy to pay full price for them.