MSI has your back with the VR One virtual reality backpack

As immersive as VR tries and claims to be, there's always going to be the problem of real world objects getting in the way. More specifically, I'm talking about cords. Some of the best VR experiences want us out of our chairs and on our feet, and they're great until a cord ends up underfoot or tugging at the back of your head. MSI has your back covered, though. The company's VR One backpack, first shown off back in September, is now going up for sale.

The VR One weighs in at a relatively svelte 8 lbs (3.6 kg) and comes in two flavors. For $2000, you can pick up the VR One with a Core i7-6820HK CPU, 16GB of DDR4 memory, a 256GB PCIe SSD, and a GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB of VRAM. For $2300, you can score a version packing a GeForce GTX 1070 and a 512GB SSD. Both systems offer connectivity by way of Killer Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapters, and carry HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, and Thunderbolt 3 ports along with four USB 3.0 connectors.

MSI says the system should be good for 90 minutes of "full speed" gameplay thanks to two included 90 Wh batteries. For longer gameplay sessions, the optional charging dock can hold up to four of the hot-swappable batteries. The system can also be plugged in and connected to up to three 4K 60Hz displays if you need a break from teleporting around in computer games.

The price is a bit higher than equivalent gaming laptops, but not wildly so. If you're diving head-first into VR and already have a headset, the VR One might be worth a look. The $2000 model with a GTX 1060 6GB is available for preorder, and the $2300 version with a GTX 1070 can be bought right now at Newegg.

• christos_thski

Did they ever think that if they had made it somewhat less of a monstrosity, some people might have bought it as a transportable PC, regardless of VR?

A backpack PC sounds attractive to me, but I wouldn’t be caught dead lugging this thing on the train.

• zqw

Equivalent 1070 laptops are $1700, and have been on sale for $1400. This should be less than that if they weren’t targeting VR arcades.

Truly an embarrassment to wear and be seen using.

Honestly, how much money was wasted on making it look like that?

Anyway, as mentioned by [i<]human_error[/i<] already, I preordered the Vive wireless kit today which makes this thing utterly pointless.

• spugm1r3

Not if you have a Rift… room-scale it may not be, but that doesn’t mean you should be relegated to a chair.

I’m not rushing out to buy one, but hot-swappable batteries are pretty cool too.

• human_error

With HTC announcing that one of their third party partners is taking preorders of a wireless option for the Vive today (with delivery in Q1), I do wonder how valuable these backpacks will be, as wireless VR seems like a reality in 2017.

• JAMF

That was my first thought as well

• short_fuze

Holy Zotac Batman, get me the *bling* out of here …

seriously though, if it didn’t make me look like a Power Ranger, I could get into one of these.

I worry there’s a small window of opportunity for off-the shelf systems like this to be viable. I’ve been designing a portable, modular desktop PC like this in my head for years (to tuck under a wheelchair) without really thinking I could afford it even if I knew what I was doing to assemble one. And I still don’t think I can afford one of these … but maybe the Zotac will be around long enough.