Grab a free copy of Dirt 3 Complete Edition at the Humble Store

Who wants a free game? I do, you do, everyone does. The humble folks at the Humble Bundle store are offering up a juicy morsel: a copy of Dirt 3 Complete Edition for a minimum of exactly zero dollars, no euros, zilch Imperial credits or nil pieces o' eight.

A lot of people are apparently getting their virtual racing helmets on, as the site notes it's ran out of keys this at 9AM PT, but also that it "will have more as soon as possible." The folks there would still like you to contribute something and offer a piece of the proceedings to charity, so throw a few bucks in the collection plate if you can.

• Jigar

Got a free key for me as well, Thanks TR.

• synthtel2

I picked up a copy, and I’m Krogothed…. but I both prefer more sim / less arcade physics and don’t have an analog input device, so it probably wouldn’t end well regardless. I was kind of expecting better physics than this, though. I don’t think the game even knows what turbo lag is, and that’s stupidly easy to get a good approximation of into a game (I know because I’ve done code for that myself).

• meerkt

Code for what?

• synthtel2

Turbocharger modelling in a game. The game was a cheesy class project thing, and the whole thing was a bit rushed (because I was unnecessarily ambitious). Tires and suspension were never going to be properly realistic, and I made a bit more of a mess of them due to deadline pressure. Powertrain stuff was easy, came out feeling (and sounding!) more realistic than in DiRT 3 (if I may say so myself), and refining it from there would have continued to be easy and obvious.

• Kharnellius

Just got one myself. Woot! Even picked up 2 other games. No doubt, that was part of the idea.

• jessterman21

Got this free with my late great Radeon HD 6870 a few years ago. Still haven’t made it through all the races (though I had to start from scratch when GFWL croaked.) Lots of fun once you get the hang of feathering the gas on gravel/snow.

• DrDominodog51

Thanks for the tip. I picked up a key for myself a few minutes ago.

I played it though a few years back. It’s fun but [b<]OH GOD THE AI....[/b<] Just avoid races where there are AI cars and it's great. There seems to be extra AI-free rally stages added in this charity bundle too, which is good. Bad AI is one thing, suicidal AI that's more intent on taking you out than racing is another, and just as if that wasn't bad enough it has the lazy "rubber band" difficulty: The AI is capable of blatantly cheating if you're in the lead, e.g. overtaking you effortlessly despite you picking the fastest car in the game and being flat out at your top speed It is also ridiculously slow if you fall to last place - e.g. starting a race, going to get a beer, enjoying your beer (ir)responsibly, and then catching up to the rest of the field within half a lap because they're all limited in how far ahead of you they can get.

• meerkt

Thanks.

Annoying that you can’t redeem Steam keys through their website.

• morphine

Actually, if you create an account there, you can connect your Steam account to it and redeem keys directly. I’ve done that a few times, though that functionality doesn’t appear to be universal. It works for some games but doesn’t work for others.

• meerkt

I meant activating Steam keys on Steam’s site.

HB, the handful of times I’ve had Steam keys from there I think I had to copy/paste into the Steam client software. But if it works sometimes, it’s still more than Steam itself offers. 🙂 Either way, I prefer GoG.

• Redundant

They have keys now. Just picked up 3 for me and my boys.

• Srsly_Bro

I was going to make a post that they keys are exhausted…then I read the article.