OnePlus 3T freshens the flagship-killer formula

Just a few months after the OnePlus 3 put an affordable price tag on a Snapdragon 820, the roguish smartphone maker is updating its flagship phone with new internals and a new name. The OnePlus 3T puts a mildly clock-bumped Snapdragon 821 SoC and as much as 128GB of storage in the same aluminum body as its predecessor. A new 16MP selfie shooter will let a certain Kardashian break the internet in crisper detail.

Those minor changes aside, the 3T boasts the same fast-charging circuitry, 1920×1080 AMOLED screen, and 6GB of RAM as its forebear. OnePlus' mildly-massaged OxygenOS spin on Android still runs the show, and it's still built atop Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Both the OnePlus 3 and the 3T will get a Nougat upgrade later this year.

The 64GB OnePlus 3T will start at $439, and OnePlus says orders will open for the gunmetal version of the phone November 22. A "soft gold" model will follow shortly thereafter. And yes, this phone still has a headphone jack.

• gmskking

And it wont work on most peoples network they want to use.

• ronch

Still cheaper than most flagships but you can’t deny the price creep.

• geniekid

The phone is 152.7 x 74.7 x 7.35 mm. The screen size is 5.5″.

• ronch

You guys wanting a lot of phone for the money may also want to check out the Elephone S7. It’s a darn pretty phone with a 10–core Mediatek chip.

Edit – Why the downthumbs? I’d seriously consider the Elephone S7 if I knew about it before I got my new Acer a month ago.

• Kretschmer

What benefit is there to 10 cores as a feature? Is that CPU Cores + GPU Cores?

• ronch

Mediatek Helio X20. Who needs a ton of cores? Um, am I supposed to answer that? Just check out the phone. Take it or leave it. Google is your friend.

• Kretschmer

If you’re recommending a phone and mention two things – prettiness and the core count – it’s fair to assume that you think that the core count is a net positive for the phone. So what is special about this phone?

• ronch

The thing is, it’s a nice phone with a pretty much high end SoC at a low price. The same can be said of 6GB of Ram, 256GB of storage, 500+ PPI displays, etc. They’re good on paper and distinguish low end phones from high end ones, but they’re not necessarily necessary.

As for this phone, I’m merely suggesting buyers take a look at it. It’s totally up to you if you think it’s a good product or not.

• Bobs_Your_Uncle

If the (in)security of Personal Information is of any interest, an article posted earlier today on Ars Technica is worth a quick read:

[url=http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/chinese-company-installed-secret-backdoor-on-hundreds-of-thousands-of-phones/<] Chinese company installed secret backdoor on hundreds of thousands of phones[/url<] I'll emphasize here that OnePlus is NOT implicated in, or suspected of being, either a participant or victim in any unauthorized personal data collection programs. It's just beneficial to remain aware of risks & potential attack vectors. This one bears some similarities to the Superfish/Lenovo debacle & appears to be a pretty major corporate violation by an advertising firm, whether or not Blu was a knowing participant.

• RdVi

We have problems with the bands this (and the OP3) will work on here in Australia also. Basically only one network supports any of the LTE bands this phone uses.

It’s still worth considering though, if only they made a smaller model as I’m not a fan of phablets personally.

• Flying Fox

Is it that much to ask that they add micro SD support in there? That will add to the “flagship killer” worthiness.

• TheJack

Cheap phones have it. Flagships don’t. Live with it.

• YukaKun

Considering that the SD slot in my SGS2 has saved me from failed Android upgrades, it’s a feature I am personally not keen on living without.

I can concede upgrade-able battery with some effort, but not the SD slot.

Cheers!

• TheJack

Cheers!

• Flying Fox

The Samsung S7/S7 Edge are cheap phones?

• ronch

Well, having 256GB in a phone is nice, but a memory card slot for future expansion wouldn’t hurt. Not that you would, but you could.

• Kretschmer

I’d be interested in this, but my OnePlusOne is still going strong. Phones have really hit the “good enough” threshold, and there’s no reason for me to upgrade.

Maybe I’ll by the OP<N> when my battery goes or there is some amazing industry advance in battery or signal.

• Airmantharp

Almost done paying for my Note 4, and yeah… Nice as these newer phones are, and as much as I’d like one that’s a bit smaller (maybe?), if it ain’t broke, I’m not yet interested in paying hundreds to fix it…

• CaptTomato

You move onto the V20 and get a real phone “jack”….. hahaahahahhaa

• YukaKun

Tell me about it… I’m still using my SGS2 and have a hard time thinking on upgrading it since not even the battery wants to die, lol.

The CPU feels long in the tooth, I won’t say it is not, but it still performs all the tasks I bought it for with little hassle. Plus it has the SD slot and removable battery.

Cheers!

• rahulahl

The article should mention the physical size of the phone at least.
    Right now unless I look it up outside the article, I got no idea how big this phone is. Big phones don’t interest me… small one handed ones do.

• flip-mode

And yet, anyone that reads this TR post and then hits the buy button without doing any further research deserves whatever they get.

• rahulahl

While I am sure that there are impulse buyers, its not just about making an uneducated decision to purchase the product. Reading the article, I still don’t have a clue if I am interested in this product or not. While no article is gonna be enough by itself to convince an average prospective buyer, I feel that the phone size is basic information that should be included.

• DancinJack

He’s not wrong though.

• Kharnellius

You literally click the link in the article and then hit specs.

[url<]https://oneplus.net/3t/specs[/url<]

• geniekid

I mean, why bother listing any of the other specs in the article then?

• Prestige Worldwide

Need a small one handed phone?

TRUMP DETECTED

• DPete27

I hate Verizon….. Would love to get one of these, but Verizon doesn’t like to do GSM.

• Lord.Blue

A lot of carriers in the US don’t do GSM.

• DancinJack

Two of the main four are…not sure what you mean.

• Pwnstar

He means MVNOs.

• DancinJack

Well, those aren’t carriers.

• kamikaziechameleon

If we got naked android or atleast whatever google puts on the nexus and pixel phones I’d look to these guys for my next device.

• flip-mode

From what I understand Oxygen OS is pretty damn near naked Android. Oneplus adds just a few well thought out things.

• VincentHanna

Perhaps, but those few well thought out things appear to come at the cost of ~8months lag time for the new 7.0 (we are actually on 7.1) nexus android experience.

• brucethemoose

This is what I don’t understand about OEM’s compulsion to customize Android.

Stock Android wouldn’t completely eliminate the turnover time (they still need to develop drivers and other things, right?), but even a few months would easily be worth it.

• bfar

What we really want is faster updates.

• etana

hmm, battery in my OP1 is getting a little long in the tooth…

• southrncomfortjm

I’m in the same boat. Have to charge twice a day. Other than battery though, I have no reason to replace my OPO, but replacing the battery would be expensive since I don’t think I could do it myself. Dilemmas.

• CaptTomato

I replaced the battery on my 8.4in TAB S using one plastic tool…..

• TheRazorsEdge

If I hadn’t broken my phone 6 months ago, I would be all over this.

• Neutronbeam

FWIW, I got the Oneplus 3 this past summer and very happy with it. If it had an SD slot and removable battery it would be perfect.

• designerfx

It’s really going to matter what carriers it works with/which LTE bands, which looks like an improvement over the Oneplus 3. Everything else is pretty good, but if it doesn’t work with tmo/verizon’s bands then it’s going to have a hard time being compelling.

This is now semi solidly into google pixel land, for far less money.

• UberGerbil

I believe (assuming it sticks with the same bands as past OP models) it works with TMO but not Verizon.

• RoxasForTheWin

DOA, Not enough courage here

• flip-mode

Onplus 4 – we got rid of the camera and the ability to make phone calls. We’re some brave sonsabiotches.

• Firestarter

psh, who uses phones to make phone calls anyway

• CuttinHobo