MasterCase Maker 5t gets a tempered-glass turbocharge

Cooler Master's MasterCase 5 left us with a positive impression when we checked it out earlier this year, and the Maker 5 followed shortly after. Now, the company is looking to take the idea of a moddable case to the next level with the MasterCase Maker 5t. While the Maker 5t resembles its predecessors, the premium touches added by Cooler Master make it stand out.

The first thing that caught my eye on the 5t is the lockable tempered-glass panel. Cases like these are meant to show off their internals, and the new trend toward tempered-glass side panels fits right into the MasterCase line. Cooler Master also added a less-obvious touch: a graphics card holder meant to support extra-long graphics cards and reduce the strain on the PCIe slots those cards occupy.

On top of this beast of a case is a carrying handle inspired by Cooler Master's own Trooper case. After putting a USB 3.1 Type-C port on the front of the Maker 5, Cooler Master has chosen to replace that with a more traditional USB 3.0 Type-A port. The Maker 5's additional drive cages are gone from the Maker 5t, as well.

Cooler Master has not provided a release date for the 5t, but a December release seems likely. With the MasterCase Maker 5 already hitting $190, we think the extra touches on the 5t might push it north of $250.

• Blytz

Anyone else feel like ditching the type c in the front cluster was a step backwards.

• ol1bit

I need to get a good table for 2 PCs setup so I can show off my system. it’s kind of hidden now. 🙁

• Philldoe

You know, I was case shopping on newegg last night in preparation for my early 2017 computer update (Case, Fans, tidbits, not any major upgrades) and every time I saw a nice case without a non window side panel. I ignored it. I like my cases to not look like a 13 year old nerds wet dream.

• Pbryanw

It’s not that I have anything against cases with window side panels, but I just know with my inept cable-tidying skills, I’d just be looking at a tangle of wires every-time I glanced at the case window.

I actually like some of the full-panel tempered glass cases they’re putting out nowadays – and major props too to those who have got to grips with cable-tidying – just wish my efforts were better.

Pricing on the Moddable Mastercase is getting a bit silly.

>$200 really is a lot to ask for a stamped-steel case covered in plastic bits. It doesn’t matter how much you tart that up, it’s still not worth any more than the fiercely competitive products in the $100. In Win are offering steel and tempered glass at $74.99, at $150 you’re seeing mostly aluminium cases, many of which are substantially better quality than the Coolermaster stuff.

Like their new air coolers to replace the TX3 and 212EVO, there’s nothing wrong with Coolermaster’s quality – they’re just pricing it way higher than what it should be compared to the competition, and in fact their old product lines.

• pikaporeon

Does it use a Blow-off valve or a bypass valve?

I don’t see the turbine or wastegate anywhere either… : (