Lepa NeoIllusion cooler shines with remote-controlled RGB LEDs

PC component vendor Lepa has a new CPU cooler for those who feel like copper and aluminum are boring. The company's NeoIllusion CPU cooler feigns stealth by covering those shiny metals with a black "Super Nano Thermal Conductive" coating, then goes for the kill with RGB LED illumination. The NeoIllusion packs four copper heat pipes in direct contact with the CPU heat spreader and connects them to an aluminum fin array. The whole setup is capable of cooling CPUs with TDPs as high as 200W.

The RGB LEDs are controlled with an included IR remote. This approach doesn't require any additional software, but the color palette appears to be to limited to the shades on the remote's 15 color buttons, along with four dynamic lighting modes. This control method may also make coordination with other RGB LED-illuminated components more challenging. The remote has a magnetic silicone cover for scratch-free attachment to a steel computer chassis. Owners of aluminum cases appear to be out of luck.

The NeoIllusion is compatible with Intel desktop CPU sockets from LGA 775 onwards (including the HEDT sockets), and AMD sockets going back to AM2. The heat sink measures 5.0" x 1.6" x 1.0" (or 12.6cm x 4.0cm x 2.5cm), which suggests it offers good clearance for DIMM slots. The cooler weighs in at 645g including the PWM fan that mounts to the heatsink via a clip molded into the fan's body.

Lepa did not provide pricing information, but says the NeoIllusion cooler will be available in late November.

Well, if you want to spend your money on silly colours, it’s not exactly hard to make a half-decent heatsink these days. Lepa aren’t know for high-prices and huge markups, so this is probably a sensible way to jump on the rainbow disco bandwagon.

Me? I’m still using the 120mm Noctua cooler I bought almost ten years ago. They gave me a free mounting kit for current-gen Intel boards and it’s still overkill for my mild overclocks. It doesn’t have disco lights, no. But that’s because my case isn’t a disco hall.

• SnowboardingTobi

mood control for my computer

when it’s red, it’s good for an extra 5 fps

• DPete27

“Super” nano is larger than just plain nano….right?

• chuckula

You might even call it micro.

• Kretschmer

I always thought that the plateauing of Moore’s law would lead to a focus on software, design, or aesthetics. Nope; colorful lighting.

• Neutronbeam

With all the unending RGB LED madness going on, now I expect my PC to curse at me: “Damn it man, I’m a computer, not a disco!”.

• James296

did someone say disco?
      [url<]https://youtu.be/A-78Szx2mJs[/url<] edit: or better yet [url<]https://youtu.be/O5CXbIWYS3c[/url<]

• JustAnEngineer

I’ll see your macho and raise you some [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqS4aNi0HQY<]hot stuff[/url<].

• James296

that’s some hot stuff and that’s the way [url=https://youtu.be/q3svW8PM_jc<] I like it[/url<].

• JustAnEngineer

It’s a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=god7hAPv8f0<]boogie wonderland[/url<].

• James296

I’m going to bow out here

Edit: but I did find a lovey song from when [url=https://youtu.be/s3Q80mk7bxE<]micheal jackson was young[/url<].

• JustAnEngineer

You could be [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PpriijlHAo<]the greatest dancer[/url<].

• WhatMeWorry

Hey Pretty Lady, wanna come up and see my remote-controlled RGB LEDs?

• Pulsar_the_Spacenerd

“The PWM fan that mounts to the heatsink via a clip molded into the fan’s body.”
    Why? That means that this fan can ONLY be used with this cooler (without modification), maybe a few others. Also, they probably won’t have brackets to attach any other fan, as the bracket is included with theirs.

• slowriot

Or you could just use some small strips of double-sided tape.

• Anovoca

Those aren’t your LEDs glowing red, those are your cooling fins trying to disperse heat after being suffocated in between all the plastic strips.

• DrDominodog51

If one is going for a Tron theme, this is the cooler get.