Drive like Verstappen with the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer wheel

Playing racing games with a gamepad is doable and entertaining enough. A proper racing wheel is where it's at, though. Thrustmaster's simulator gear has always been well regarded, and today the company added a new racing wheel to its arsenal: the fancy-looking Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer.

The TS-PC Racer has an open-wheel design with a metal face plate, aluminum paddle shifters, and suede-clad grips. Six buttons, a directional pad, and a three-position rotary switch with a push setting all rest in the wheel's center section. As is usual with the company's high-end peripherals, the movement sensor is a 16-bit magnetic unit. The wheel can be set to rotate between 270° and 1080°.

Thrustmaster says the motor behind this wheel is an all-new 40-W design. According to the company, the revamped motor should offer 50% more "dynamic response and four times the "stall force" when compared to Thrustmaster's other force-feedback wheels. If one has doubts about the motor's strength, the presence of an external 400-W power supply should prove illustrative.

The TS-PC Racer can be combined with Thrustmaster's other wheels, TH8RS and TH8A shifters, and T3PA and T3PA-Pro pedal sets. The company says that third-party pedal sets with USB or serial connectivity should be equally compatible. For pedal sets with a serial DB9 port, Thrustmaster offers a DB9-to-RJ12 adapter. Racers can order the TS-PC Racer wheel for $500 on December 5.

• cynan

I wonder how this compares to the [url=https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-usa.html<]Fanatec CSL Elite[/url<]?

I am amazed that Verstappen can fit his huge balls into such a cramped space as an F1 cockpit. His performance last weekend was just gobsmacking.

Oh, wait this is the public frontpage. I mean [i<]footballs[/i<], obviously.

• End User

Oh for goodness sake. Gobsmacking my ass. The dude had a) no fucks to give because he had nothing on the line and b) a fresh set of wets.

Hulkenberg had the big brass balls in Brazil. His pass on the inside of the bend before the pit straight was fucking awesome. Talk about threading the needle with ones eyes closed. Hulkenberg gets overlooked while the brat gets the praise. That is fucked up.

• travbrad

Hamilton wasn’t too bad either. I know he didn’t have to pass anyone because he was on pole but without all the safety cars eroding his lead he probably would have finished a mile ahead of his teammate, literally.

• Anomymous Gerbil

…and it’s so much easier to drive fast when you’re not in someone else’s spray for most of the race.

• Anomymous Gerbil

As much as I dislike Verstappen’s arrogance and dangerous antics in braking zones, his performance in the wet was inspired – regardless of the state of his tyres. His intelligence in scouting out different lines and using those to make passes seem effortless was something to behold, a la Senna/Donington or Senna/Monaco or Schuey/Spain. And as much as I love Danny Ric, he wasn’t able to follow Max through the field.

That takes nothing away from others, but no-one else came even close to Verstappen that day.

• End User

It is common knowledge that one takes the unconventional line in the wet, especially when running on brand ******* new wets.

And again, Nico Hülkenberg was amazing out there as well but you ******* ******** are blinded by the rainbow coming out of Verstappen’s ass.

• travbrad

I want the Vettel version so I can yell expletives at it every time something doesn’t go my way.

• [TR]

It’s coming. You know the Vettel Expletive Edition is always a bit behind the Verstappen one.
      But if I were you I’d consider the Verstappen Edition. Sure, it’s new on the market, but it’s probably got a bit more longevity and you can rest assured it’s waterproof.

• JAMF

But, but, but…. with the Vettel Edition, you’ll get the pacifier with the Ferrari logo, with a small ferrari lanyard to dangle it from the mic-boom.

[EDIT] Heh, they do exist
        [url<]http://static.store.ferrari.com/media/catalog/product/cache/0/image/524x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/3/13444_1_RED_1.jpg[/url<]

• Firestarter

needs an “Honestly!” button

• Flying Fox

Jos or Max?

• morphine

• Flying Fox

I was asking which one did you mean?

• Firestarter

all I know is my gut says maybe

• Saribro

If I don’t survive, tell my wife, “Hello”.

• XTF

What’s the use of a 400W PSU with a 40W wheel?

• cynan

Obviously for the accessory force-feedback treadmill that you install under your desk or racing cockpit for those fiendishly popular Flinestone sims.

MUST HAVE

• Mikael33

Headroom, think of how bigly the transients will be with more than enough power than necessary, phenomenal!

• GrimDanfango

I surely don’t understand the technicalities, but don’t motors tend to draw massively higher current when you stall them?
      – That being essentially the constant primary mode of operation for a force-feedback device – you’re basically gripping onto a motor to stop it turning the whole time.

• Shouefref

I only use it outside in the rain.

• Shinare

“The Art of Racing in the Rain”. A great book and a real tear jerker.

• GrimDanfango

My T300RS has been amazing since I got it… from all I’ve read (and heard, clattering loudly over teamspeak sometimes), Thrustmaster seem to be a good league above the popular Logitech flagship wheels, and I imagine this one will be no different. Powerful, fast and smooth.

If I was any better at actually racing, I’d be tempted to upgrade… but I have to be honest with myself – the need for an even more responsive wheel isn’t what’s holding me back from placing higher than ~20th in most online league races 😛