Corsair Crystal Series 570X case bares all

What good are RGB-illuminated PC components if they have to toil away in the dark confines of an opaque PC chassis? Corsair's Crystal Series 570X RGB ATX case renders the question moot with four large panels of tempered glass. Corsair says the case has glass on "every side" of the case, though the rear and the bottom of the case still appear to be made of metal.

The 570X doesn't have any external drive bays, but it can accomodate just about anything else, including full-size ATX motherboards and radiators as large as 360mm in the front and 240mm in the top. Graphics cards as long as 14.5" (or 37 cm) will fit, but cards near the maximum length likely won't fit at the same time as large front-mounted radiators. Those who don't know how to delete data might be disappointed by the meager amount of drive mounts: two for 2.5" drives, and another pair for 3.5" spinners.

The tempered glass side panels can be installed and removed without any tools, as do the drive mounts. Three front-facing 120-mm RGB LED fans are included, along with an RGB controller. A plain-jane 120-mm fan comes fitted in the rear fan position. Buyers can add two additional 120-mm or 140-mm fans to the top of the case. The Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB ATX case will go $120, though there's no word on a street date just yet.

• Crackhead Johny

As the first kid on the block with a clear side on his case I’m afraid I have a weakness for this case.
    Sure this is not acrylic I had to cut myself and the side is not full of terrifying EMB fans and there are no 5$ blue LEDs but still I have to confess that I like this… But, but, that side allowed everyone to see my personally milled alpha sinks with my custom silver cores!

Welp, taking off my clothes for the Game Of Throne “shame, shame” march. See you in town folks.

^%$#@!! young kids not know what modding is about..

Get off my lawn.

• JosiahBradley

Here’s wishing on a 540 AIR/Crystal hybrid for next Christmas, but even bigger.

• Philldoe

Remember that terrible fad in the mid 2000’s when people bought those clear cases made of cheap plastic and shoved LED fans in them? This is the same thing but with glass. This fad is going to be just as terrible as those crappy plastic cases. Dust patterns, scratches, and now someone will knock over a heavy object on their desk and their tower will fall to bits.

And that’s assuming UPS and FedEx don’t just drop it before it gets delivered. What a nasty surprise that could be.

• GTVic

Not cheap like crocs so how can it be a fad? Also, the glass is tempered and held in place with genuine Saskatchewan sealskin leather straps.

• Shobai

As an aside, for sentences like:

[quote<]Those who don't know how to delete data might be disappointed by the meager amount of drive mounts: two for 2.5" drives, and another pair for 3.5" spinners.[/quote<] When you're talking about quantities of things you can count, you're better off using "number" rather than "amount".

• kmm

By the way, that $120 price is wrong. Seemed a bit out of place given the amount of glass/size and pricing in the segment, and it is. Corsair’s website that’s being linked to has it at $180.

The similar but smaller Crystal Series 460X RGB, which doesn’t have a glass top, is $140.

And based on reviews it looks like the performance is pretty badโ€”louder while hotter than other cases.

• nicktg

I think the poor performance is because of the lack of an exhaust fan. Moving one of the supplied fans to the back should fix this as the cases are otherwise well ventilated.

• kmm

I thought of that as well, but some of the test systems used had AIO CPU coolers with fans effectively blowing straight out the case.

It’s some combination of the design and venting, perhaps the fans, perhaps the front dust filter.

• CheetoPet

People who build their computers in glass cases shouldn’t throw stones.

• sluggo

Cool! Now I can see all those cables I’ve been trying to hide.

• NTMBK

Good heavens, no.

Give me a nice plain black Calvinist box of shame to put my gaming toys in, thank you very much.

• short_fuze

You just need this [url=http://www.tecnodisplay.com/gl142/gl142.php<]anti-dust/fingerprint accessory[/url<]

OOoohhhh, pretty!
    …and only $120

The storage options are adequate – the sweet spot for 3.5″ drives (lowest cost/GB) is with the 4-6TB models, so you’ve got 8-12TB without any price penalty. Most boards have M.2 slots these days and for people reusing older boards, how many of them have more than two 2.5″ SSDs? I guess if you get desperate you can just screw them into anywhere flat or do what I do with my HTPC and just use adhesive foam pads. It’s not as if a tempered glass case is going to be moved around a lot ๐Ÿ˜‰

• thanatos355

For the love of god, make it stop!

Do these people not have dust in their homes? Do they not have children or pets?

Stop the insanity!

Look before you type?

There’s clearly a full-width, mesh dust filter behind the glass off the front panel; You can see it in its entirety because the whole thing’s glass-fronted so there’s not even an excuse for not being able to see it!

• thanatos355

Never once has a “dust filter” actually kept dust out of any computer I’ve ever worked on. o_O

• slowriot

That’s your issue. Positive air pressure inside the case will go a very long way making sure airflow (and therefore dust) is only coming through filtered spots.

• thanatos355

Pretty sure nothing’s helping 4 kids, 5 dogs, 2 cats, and two full time jobs. But thanks for pointing out my “issue”.

Dust filters work for most people. If you’re not one of those people, then that’s what compressed air canisters (or an air compressor) are for.

Windowed PC cases probably aren’t for you though. Hell, I’m not particularly keen on vanity builds but this looks exceptionally tasteful to me, and I’m actually a little sad that this wasn’t on the market when I changed my case earlier in the year. I live in a hardwood-floored apartment and I moved my old PC case precisely zero times since building it ๐Ÿ˜‰

• thanatos355

Believe me, I went with the compressor a long time ago. Not just for my own builds, but for every other filthy mess that people seem to think I need to fix for them. Not the least of which is my dear old aunty who can’t understand why her smoke clogged 486 doesn’t run Farmville with the same pep that it used to.

• slowriot

No, your problem is your case is bringing in air/dust through unfiltered spots. This is because you have negative air pressure. If YOU set your case up to have positive air pressure it would greatly reduce your dust problems, regardless of your kids/dog/cats.

But hey, you seem like you’re the type who loves unnecessary hassle. Enjoy!

• thanatos355

Reduce =/= negate.

• synthtel2

And you seem like the type to assume stuff. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Typical computer dust filters just don’t block that much (at least the ones I’ve seen). I live in an extremely dusty area, and I’ve set up my computer’s airflow as well as anyone could ask for as far as dust prevention, but a lot of dust (20%?) just goes right through my filter. Considering the low-density mesh design of most, I’m amazed they catch even as much as they do. Is it so unreasonable to think thanatos has the same problem?

• Shobai

You’re not wrong about the filters. I remember seeing some pretty amazing builds over on SPCR, maybe 12 years ago, from a guy who kept budgies or something. He used car cabin filters and then progressed to (please excuse me if I’m getting this wrong, we don’t use them in Australia) HEPA filters from his house’s furnace to eliminate the dust from his PCs

• nicktg

Oh, I remember those builds. Such filters must be terribly restrictive though, the fans would have to be run at quite high speeds to produce any meaningful amount of airflow through them. Then again, if I remember correctly, that guy was not looking to silence his computer.

• Shobai

yes, very restrictive filters; the guy I remember was using massively oversized ones in order to allow a small number of slow fans to pull in enough air. ‘Positive’ pressure is possible if enough surface area is available.

I’m not sure what the guy with the budgies used for a forum nickname. The was another bloke, called Bluefront, who was known on the SPCR forums for his single fan filtered systems – they might be a place to start if anyone’s interested.

• Shobai

Just in case anyone comes back to read this thread at some point, try this link:

[url<]http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41670[/url<]

• synthtel2

Thanks, that’s a cool link.

It’s always a compromise between convenience and cooling. Filters give you dust-reduction, not dust-immunity.

Even with the typical, plastic mesh filters you get with PC cases like this one, the filters seem to catch a lot. My filters at home get caked up with dust every few months but the insides of the case attract only a thin film at most. Just eyeballing it, the filters probably reduce the dust intake by 75% or something without having any significant impedance to the airflow.

If you want to reduce the dust by 90% you’re going to severely hamper your fans and you’ll still get dust buildup inside and still have to use compressed air in your case to keep it all looking pristine. If your PC sits in a dusty room and has high airflow it’s always going to look like the inside of a vacuum cleaner eventually – you just have to accept that cleaning it comes with the territory.

• slowriot

No. If you didn’t set up a positive pressure setup you will have this issue. If you did, you wouldn’t.

It’s quite clear neither you nor Thanatos are applying any type of critical thinking. Hell, I don’t believe you two even know what I’m referring to at this point and clearly haven’t made any efforts to educate yourselves.

• thanatos355

What a load of condescending twaddle.

Which media outlet do you work for?

• synthtel2

I thought I implied strongly enough that I had a positive pressure setup. I guess not, so I’ll state it more clearly: I have a positive pressure setup. There’s only one case fan, it’s on intake duty, it’s far more powerful than any incidental exhaust, and the filter seals against it well, yet that fan itself collects lots of dust on its blades.

• Freon

Try these:
          [url<]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARB5E8A/[/url<] It's a finer mesh than the open cell foam type filters that often come with cases, seems to do a slightly better job. These just stick on with the magnet edge, too, so you can just pop them off and blow them out with canned air (preferably outdoors). They do clog a bit easier so you need to clean them out regularly. I've still been fairly happy with the gimme foam filters that usually come with cases.

• Shinare

I believe these types of cases are designed for the Felix Ungers of the world who will remove the glass and polish it at least once a week.

• Shinare

I can already picture the dust pattern on the front panel as it encroaches in from the edges of the front glass.

• Anovoca