Apple offers a fix for iPhone 6S sudden-death battery issue

Another day, another problem with Apple's popular iPhone line of handsets. This time, the trouble involves batteries in some iPhone 6S models. Unlike the Samsung Note7, the issues don't revolve around safety concerns or spontaneous combustion. In the case of the iPhone 6S, some phones occasionally shut off even when the battery is at half capacity. The company says it will replace batteries on affected phones for no charge. The handsets in question have a serial number in a specific window and were built in September and October 2015.

Users must back up and erase their phones prior to handing them over for service, so if you are someone else's "answer person" when it comes to technology, expect to hear some complaining about iTunes and iCloud in the near future. As usual, phones with outstanding damage to the screen or other components will be denied service until the other issues are repaired. iPhone owners must seek service through Apple, as wireless carriers are not participating in the repair campaign. According to Forbes, the China Consumers Association alleges that iPhone 6 handsets suffer from the same problem, but those phones are so far not included in the repair program.

• trackerben

My wife just bought a 6S and it’s good to know that Apple still remedies hardware manufacturing defects within warranty. They’re still flubbing software, though. They’re slowing down in fixing long-running issues, like AssistiveTouch freaking out at times after screen locks, that’s been an on and off issue since iOsS 9 for almost a year now…

• hasseb64

They new incomes, sell your stocks!!

• Major-Failure

I applaud Apple for creating a market in which people willingly spend $500+ on a gadget they didn’t need before and strictly speaking don’t even need now, but hey, at least they can look at funny cat pictures or browse Facebook while taking a dump.

Here in Germany, even elementary school kids, people that live paycheck to paycheck, and those on welfare just have to have a smartphone now.

The milking is going very well. *slow clap*

• Kharnellius

Strange I was just complaining about this exact problem today. It just started happening in the last week or so. Glad to see I get a new battery. I was getting a little miffed, tbh.

• ronch

No charge??? OMG I can’t believe it!! Apple is THE BEST!!!!!

• NeelyCam

lol

• albundy

so you’re supposed to back up and erase your data after the battery is dead? makes sense. or, at least it makes sense to apple users. this must be much cheaper than offering removable batteries…but it’s all about sense.

• not_a_gerbil

Phone sometimes shuts off if battery drops below 50%. Recharge and backup. Phone will charge while backing up so you won’t drop below 50% while backing up.

• Welch

I was waiting for a free battery to be offered, after $150 fee for shipping, labor and magic.

• flip-mode

[quote<]The company says it will replace batteries on affected phones for no charge.[/quote<] Shirley you jest.

• chuckula

I’m not jesting.
      And stop calling me Shirley.

• thesmileman

I have this problem on the 6 not the 6s. 🙁

• ludi

“Oh, then you’re dropping it wrong. That will be $149.” –Apple

• tone21705

Same. I have an iPhone 6 Plus and it frequently shuts off at 20-40%, not sure what to do.

• frumper15

My wife’s did that as well – I jumped on the opportunity for Verizon to give me $650 on trade in for a new 7. I didn’t realize it was widespread and apparently Apple would like everyone to think that as well…. Now to wait and see if my 6S decides to start shutting off.