FSP Twins PSU offers redundant power in an ATX-sized shell

Power supplies are arguably the component in a computer that is under the most stress, and one of the most likely to fail. For that reason, big servers have redundant power supplies that can be swapped out while the machine is running. Historically, these redundant PSUs have been proprietary affairs that required custom chassis and mountings. FSP Group's new Twins series redundant power supplies takes a different route, cramming a pair of hot-swappable modules into an ATX-sized shell.

Don't let the small size fool you: each of these little guys is 80 Plus Gold-certified. That means the PSUs have at least 90% efficiency across their output range. FSP currently offers a 500W unit, and has plans to offer a 700W model soon. Regardless of which one they grab, builders will get two 4+4-pin CPU power connectors, two 8-pin PCIe power connectors, six SATA power connectors, and two ol' Molex peripheral connectors. Oh, and a floppy-drive plug.

On a regular desktop machine, it may not be obvious that one PSU module has failed. For monitoring purposes, FSP offers its Guardian monitoring and control software. This functionality requires a connection between the power supply and one of the motherboard's USB headers, but you probably have one free anyway. The software can monitor the DC power output of the Twins, as well as temperature, fan speed, and AC power input quality.

All that fancy functionality doesn't come for free. FSP says the Twins series power supplies should already be available in 500W version for $399. The 700W version will come in at $499.

• ronch

That price is steep but this isn’t for most home users, obviously. More like it’s for someone who wants to build a server using high end desktop parts.

• Khali

This is probably handy in a industrial/data center setting. But probably not cost effective for home use.

I take a different route for my systems at home. I will put in a larger PSU than needed to cut down on the stress a smaller (just big enough) PSU goes through on a daily basis. I have never had a PSU fail since I started doing this around 10 years ago. In short if I need a 500 Watt PSU I will use a 700 to 800 Watt. Plus it gives you some wiggle room if you find you want to replace your GPU with something more powerful/power hungry, or several HDD for what ever reason in the future.

• just brew it!

Definitely not something you’d want on (or under) your desk. Even if the price doesn’t put you off, with the fans being only 40mm, there’s no way this thing is gonna be quiet.

Dual redundant 500W in a standard ATX form factor is pretty cool though. I could see something like this catching on for DIY servers.

• demani

Even non-DIY: a lot of servers at the low end come with single PSUs, and the upgrade isn’t even available. But for that amount you get a whole lot of reliability. Render boxes also would benefit from the uptime.

• VinnyC

My frankenstein’d together spare computer is using two rather crappy PSUs to power a single PC. I just did the old paperclip trick and have a power supply dedicated to the videocard. I suppose there’s no redundancy though. I just wanted to be cool 🙁

• Srsly_Bro

With a name like VinnyC, you’ve been cool for some time, bro.

• cmrcmk

“Hey this would be nice for my home router/server!”
    *sees price*