WideBeam Hybrid LED strips bring new spectra to your case

Getting the lighting right in a case mod can be a tricky task when working with just one color. What about when you want to introduce a whole new spectrum into the mix? Lighting up your case can get complicated fast, but CableMod's new WideBeam Hybrid LED strips should make mixing UV light and technicolor lighting into a build a bit more simple.

The Hybrid LED strips combine CableMod's existing WideBeam RGB LEDs with UV LEDs, putting both on the same lighting strip. With one strip of LEDs, you can  only light up your case, but make the UV-reactive elements inside glow, too.

The WideBeam Hybrid LED strips come in 30- and 60-cm variants (11.8" and 23.6") that can be chained into longer strips and attached with 3M adhesive or embedded magnets. Like the original WideBeam strips, the lights get their juice through a SATA power connector. The 40-button RF remote control included with the set lets you control the lighting's color, intensity, and pattern.

The WideBeam Hybrid LED strips are available in CableMod's store, starting a $34.99 for the whole bundle including the remote and its receiver, or $24.99 for the strip of lights alone.

• just brew it!

Even if I was into case lighting, I don’t think I’d want UV emitters in there. UV LEDs can cause permanent eye damage.

Take a look at the warnings at the bottom of the first page of [url=http://www.bivar.com/Portals/0/Products/SM0603UV-390.pdf<]this datasheet[/url<], for a fairly typical surface-mount UV LED.

• hasseb64

Boring! Come on now TTR

• ronch

I’d like the inside of my computer dark, just like the rest of our household appliances, thank you.

I used to be totally anti-LED lighting in a case but sometimes I turn on the light in my Corsair 380T because it’s a clean build and it looks cool. Im not totally pro-LED lighting now, but directed light (so that the LEDs don’t shine directly out of the case like Christmas lights) is fine. If these can be blocked so they shine inward, I might get into it.

The system in my Define R4 isn’t visible due to the lack of a window but it’s another clean build that I could get into showing off.

• nico1982

[quote<]The Hybrid LED strips combine CableMod's existing WideBeam RGB LEDs with UV LEDs[/quote<] UV? LOL, how silly! You can't s... [quote<]make the UV-reactive elements inside glow, too.[/quote<] ... oh.

• SecretMaster

I guess with this you could have your case double as a grow chamber as well. That blue-red LED array is perfect for plants.

• Wirko

Oh, you’re one of those return-on-investment types! x = profit / $35, hah!

• Pwnstar

They have what plants crave?

• flip-mode

User name seems relevant.

• flip-mode

Aesthetic case lighting is retarded alltogether. It’s ugly, gaudy, tacky, and pointless. Same with case windows. But I am just an old man with old man’s opinions. I want a subdued looking case with good air flow and sturdy construction and the smallest size practical. It should have quiet fans and easily accessible dust filters and not any sharp edges. It should last for many years and be an anchor that holds fast through the successive storms of the latest case fashions. It should have minimalist aesthetics and maximalist functionality. There should be no talk of cable management other than for airflow, nor any talk of heatsink aesthetics, motherboard colors, video card appearances, RAM heatspreader bling bling, and never in any case should there be any concern regarding LED fan lites. The case should have a power lite and perhaps a disk activity lite and no other lites. It should be handsome and dignified and durable, but aspire to no frivolous luminance.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to take my daily Centrum Silver.

• kmm

But lighting on the back panel to illuminate the ports can aid eyes of all ages.

yes, my case has this but that means it’s not Aesthetic case lighting, it’s functional case lighting, much like the power and disk activity LEDs.

The fact my case has a window irks me a little, since it’s impossible to colour coordinate everything – whilst a solid side panel would have hidden all of the clashing colours inside without issue. The good news is that it lives on the floor, in an alcove, under a desk and even during daylight it’s dark enough under there that I can’t see it.

At least I can’t see the stupid toxic green GEFORCE GTX logo since I replaced it with a Radeon; Finally there are no lights inside my case again.

• sonofsanta

So… Fractal Design Refine R5, then? Best damned case in the world.

Or worst, depending on how you qualify “best”.

They are vast even by ATX standards (over 9″ wide) despite not being able to accommodate E-ATX or SSI boards like many other similar-sized cases, and there’s also usually interference between a 280mm radiator and the mothberboard because despite the vast width and depth of this case, the one dimension that matters (height) is decidedly average.

If you value good solid construction, Fractal probably have the thinnest steel per $ spent of any mainstream case on the market. you can flex most of the panels on them with a gentle prod and if the R5 is anything like the R4’s I’ve used the paint scratches [i<]way[/i<] more easily than Corsair or Coolermaster cases. If you value space efficiency and materials/finish quality they're well below par. Agreed, if you value ease of building, good airflow and an understated aesthetic they're one of the better options.

• flip-mode

I had a Define Mini and removing the fan filters could hardly have been made more difficult. I bought that about 4 years ago so maybe the situation has improved, but cleaning those filters over that 4 year time period pissed me off enough that I haven’t looked at a Fractal case since. I hope things are better in that department by now.

• just brew it!

Two of my old Chieftec boat anchors are still in use. My wife’s desktop lives in one, and the other pulls file server duty. Not as quiet as a modern case due to the dual 80mm exhaust layout, but the wife’s system is low-spec enough that it gets by just fine with low RPM fans, and the file server is tucked away in the crawlspace, out of earshot. And for the server, all the external 5.25″ bays allowed me to install 6 drives’ worth of 3.5″ hot swap SATA backplane.

• Mad_Dane

Then buy a fractal design and let other people enjoy what they do, if everybody likes the same, the world would be fucking boring, especially if they alle liked what you do.

• flip-mode

Absolutely fine by me. It’s just an OPINION, and we all share those with each other all the time. So please take it as an opinion and nothing more, and share your own opinions if you so desire.

• Firestarter

I need a strip of these on my monitor so I can finally get a tan

• UberGerbil

…and cataracts and melanoma.