XFX RX 460 Core slims down to a single slot

For over a decade, high-end graphics cards have been taking up at least two slots, and in recent years even mid-range cards have gotten wider. According to Videocardz, XFX might have some RX 460s that buck that trend. The single-slot coolers on the purported Radeon RX 460 Core Edition cards are sharp-looking, with a clean design that recalls the Radeon Pro WX series.

Source: Videocardz

Assuming Videocardz's info is correct, the two incoming cards are identical aside from your choice of 2GB or 4GB of memory. The base clock rates on both memory and GPU core match AMD's reference numbers: 1090MHz for the GPU, and 7 GT/s for the memory. XFX adds 20MHz to the boost clock, however, for a total of 1220 MHz. The cards will offer a dual-link DVI connection, an HDMI port, and a DisplayPort jack.

There's no official word from XFX yet and the cards have only just appeared in Videocardz's database, so we don't know anything about pricing or a release date. Given their compact size and slot-powered nature, one of these could make a potent upgrade for a pre-built or compact PC.

• watzupken

The funny thing is that not so long back, it will always be on headlines when you see a dual slot cooling solution on graphic card. Fast forward to 2016, and single card suddenly starts taking centre stage again.

To be fair, the lower end cards definitely can do with a single slot cooling.

• Anovoca

At the moment, every single m-ITX board I have ever seen has one single PCI port and every single m-ITX case I have ever seen offers dual PCI slots. I am not saying there are no conceivable use cases for this, only that the market currently does not support any that I find compelling enough to manufacture these.

If the market starts making m-ITX with two PCI slots as standard then great! Single slot GPU and a tvtuner or soundcard combo on m-ITX would make an ideal HTPC setup. If case makers want to start making cases with only 1 pci slot then great! Lets shave a few more centimeters off the width and get that much closer to console dimensions. ATM though neither of these are a thing.

But hey, chicken and egg; the market has to exist for the market to exist.

• Archer

Did some of you not even look at the pictures? It vents out one side, and on the bottom on the other side.

passive-aggressive much? lol

Glad to see single slot options again, but I’m curious how this heatsink gets heat away from the GPU die.

By my reckoning and some eyeballing it, the GPU die is just left of the fan hub where it’s partially covered by the hub and receives no direct airflow, whilst the other half is under the slow-moving blades at the very centre of the fan, with minimal airflow.

All the GPU cooling requires on the thin aluminium plate to conduct heat to the fins further out before there’s enough surface area to cool. I’d like to think there’s a vapor chamber there but it sure as hell looks like a piece of CNC’d aluminium extrusion with no copper in sight :\

• NewTechGuy101

I recently purchased this card to put into my shuttle SZ170R8. I wanted a dedicated GPU and sound card. I can confirm that the heatsink is all aluminium, I didnt remove it, but there isnt any copper in sight. The heatsink vents to the front and rear of the card with the fan bring in fresh air; the VRMs/chokes dont have any type of heatsink on them so this makes some sense. The card is dead silent under 60C thanks to Zero-Fan, with a Sound Blaster Z next to it (Its a really tight fit, the screws on the Sound Blaster Z metal shroud hits the shroud of the GPU and blocks about 75% of the fan), highest temp I saw was 76C in Valley loop after an hour. I replaced the stock Shuttle rear exhaust fan with a quiet Noctua 92mm, when I run that at full speed; the cards temps drop to ~60C (The SZ170R8 also has a fan in the front for the hard drive cage, I dont have a cage installed so Im sure thats also helping with heat dissipation.) 2 issues with the card; for some reason I cant even maintain its stock speed in Valley unless I jack up the power limit, which causes temps/fan noise to go up, and out of the box the gpu pcb has “curves” from the heatsink mounting.

Not gonna vent anything out the back of the case with a bracket like that. There may not even be room, thanks to that DVI port. Where does the air go? Back towards the front (assuming that end is ventilated)?

• CScottG

[url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/228217/xfx-unveils-single-slot-radeon-rx-460-core-edition-graphics-cards[/url<]

That does nothing to answer my question about where the vented air goes. TPU got their pics from VideoCardz, and VC doesn’t have anything that shows the “rear” (or is that front?) of the card. Not really anybody’s fault on that – they have what they have – but it’s a question.

• CScottG

Look’s like the “front” isn’t covered in 2 out of 3 of those pictures. Sheet metal cover with only one bend for the top of the card.

-makes me wonder if the the fans “suck” rather than “blow”?

I imagine it’s not, but I think we’re just seeing a really well-lit object. At any rate we’ll find out when people get their hands on it. The air has to go somewhere.

• wizardz

my bet is they rely on air movement alone coupled with a properly (or not) case airflow.

i have dell oem’s with quadro cards that only have a single fan and only one exhaust fan on the case, and they get nowhere near hot.

It doesn’t seem to have a PCI-e connector, so I’m guessing you’re right and that it won’t really get warm. Can’t use that much power.

• Archer

Do you not know which way fans go by looking at them?

• dodozoid

edit: never mind

• nico1982

I guess we were going to reply with the same, inaccurate thing (cw vs ccw) 😛

• CScottG

Oh it definitely blows, but I’m also sure it sucks.

• Mr Bill

Looks like an aluminum heatsink cut out for the fan and venting out the end of the card into the PC case and maybe also out the hole between the DVI port and the PCI slot.

• Anovoca

I am guessing that if you are so cramped on space that you need this card, there is a good chance that you already have airflow problems and probably don’t care if you add to them a little more. That, or you are building in close quarters where you are relying on a different component or fans nearby to do all the work.