Enermax Revolution SFX PSUs offer efficient power in a tidy package

The Mini-ITX standard is great, and the reduction in power requirements and thermal footprint in even the fastest gaming graphics cards has been remarkable. But even with these advances, too many compact gaming systems are still built around miniscule motherboards in kind-of compact cases designed to fit full-fat ATX power supplies. Enermax's Revolution SFX 550W and 650W power supplies are designed to power the next generation of down-sized gaming rigs and high-end HTPCs with tidier external dimensions.

The Revolution SFX 550W and 650W units are both 80 Plus Gold-certified. Fully modular cables allow for reduced cable clutter inside the host system, while semi-fanless control keeps the PSU fan from spinning when the system's load goes below 30%. Enermax says its high-density PCB design and Japan-sourced capacitors allow the Revolution SFX power supplies to deliver output levels previously reserved for full-sized ATX units.

Owners of Mini-ITX cases originally designed for ATX PSUs aren't left stranded, either. Enermax includes an SFX-to-ATX adapter in the box, along with enough sleeved, modular cables to fully populate the power ports on the PSU. SATA and four-pin Molex power cables are supplied in 5.9" (or 150 mm) and 7.9" (200 mm)) lengths in further effort to reduce the wire spaghetti so often found in tiny computers.

• synthtel2

I doubt it’s as good as my Corsair SF600, but more SFX options are always welcome.

I wonder if they made the fan cutout smaller than the fan for the sake of noise reduction. Some duct tape placed similarly along one edge of my case intake fan behind the side panel made it much quieter and less tonal (some kind of turbulence was reduced) with near-zero airflow impact. I had theories as to why, but none of them checked out.

• mkk

Seems to be room for a bigger fan and the cutout could have been a bit less restricted. But if it is still able to run in semi passive mode at regular desktop use I’ll have to tip my hat.

• malicious

Additional options for this market segment would be welcome. More appropriate wattages, say 100 to 250W, for the types of systems they’re targeting would be better though. The power supplies could be less expensive to manufacture, cost less for the consumer, and run more efficiently – positives for all involved.

I tend to look at the picoPSU products currently for small systems because it means one fewer fan and using a 300W+ PSU in a computer that typically uses >20W and peaks at >60W just seems silly and wasteful. It would be nice to have more options to chose from that don’t need an external power brick though.

• hasseb64

Hear hear, but I do not think a smaller wattage is that much cheaper to produce, and still doomed on the market, people still 2017 think they need plus 650W for a standard rig.
      My tip, try find Dell or HP special PSU for their latest compacts, they are optimized for extremely high % at idle.

• bhtooefr

There’s plenty of low-watt SFX power supplies available (although not many 80 Plus-rated ones), the trick is in higher-wattage supplies, for the longest time, the selection has been [i<]one[/i<] model of Silverstone supply.

• JustAnEngineer

They brought out two more in 2016.
        [url<]http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_power.php?tno=7&area=en[/url<] When I built my mini-ITX gaming PC last year, the SX600-G was the highest capacity PSU that would fit.

• bhtooefr

Problem with the SX700-LPT and the SX800-LTI is that they’re not SFX, they’re SFX-L.

There’s also the Corsair SF600 now, but when I did my build, it was delayed, and my case doesn’t work well with SFX-L power supplies. (It can be done, but cables start running into the back of your GPU, so a Mini-ITX-length GPU is strongly recommended if you do it.) Mind you, I also didn’t need 700 or 800 watts, so I went with the SX600-G myself.

• Voldenuit

Enermax makes great PSUs, and I for one am glad this one isn’t adorned in their customary gold! bling accroutements.