Scythe Mugen 5 clears room for memory modules

The Venn diagram of Japanophiles and PC enthusiasts probably has a sizeable intersection. Scythe has updated its popular Mugen CPU cooler for the residents of this middle area. The Mugen 5 has a revised asymmetrical design with clearance for memory modules. The cooler comes fitted with Scythe's PWM-controlled 120mm "Kaze Flex" fan.

The Mugen 5 heatsink weighs in at a motherboard-flexing 31.4 oz (or 890g) and measures 5.12" x 6.08" x 4.33" (13cm x 15.5cm x 11cm) with the included fan. The included metal "Hyper Precision Mounting System II" retention mechanism is compatible with Intel desktop sockets all the way back to LGA 775 and AMD sockets as old as AM2. Six canted heatpipes funnel heat away from the copper base into the aluminum fin array. Users can add a second fan to the Mugen 5 in a push-pull configuration, since Scythe helpfully includes an extra fan clip.

The Kaze Flex fan's speed can vary from 300 to 1200 RPM, and Scythe says its can push from 16.6 to 51.2 CFM or air. The company says the proprietary sealed fluid bearing in the fan endows the fan with an MTBF of 120,000 hours (or 13.7 years). The Mugen 5 cooler is available now in Europe for 40.50€ (around $45).

• ronch

On my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board, my Deepcool Gammax 400 blocks DIMM slots 1 and 2, so I had to use slots 3 and 4. Is there a performance penalty for making electrons travel farther?

• juzz86

I wish more people capped their heatpipes. Nickel plating is fine, but CAPS ARE CLASSY!

• JosiahBradley

Actually on topic: I’ve run almost every iteration of this cooler since the original ninja infinity. The original fan still works and the 2nd/3rd version is cooling a X6 AMD nearly passively.

• tay

But what is your opinion on its appeal to Japanophiles?

• JosiahBradley

While I appreciate aspects of Japanese culture and art, it was not a factor in my purchase decision. However the box is covered in ideographs and lacks much English descriptions. Performance is top notch and scythe makes very good fans for cases as well as coolers. I’d love to see them join the AIO water cooling movement with dragon sounding names.

“Ninja” Edit: Apparently they do produce AIO water coolers, the Apsalus line, seemingly named after a unit from Mobile Suit Gundam.

• morphine

“Ninja edit.”

I see what you did there. I shall raise a glass in your honor today.

• Firestarter

half of those heatpipes look to be pretty useless considering how small CPU dies are these days

• Goty

They won’t so as much as if they were sitting right above silicon, but they will have a cooling effect on the base plate which will allow it to draw more heat from the center, cooling it and in turn drawing more heat from the CPU.

• BillyBuerger

Plus you have the heat spreader on the CPU itself. So there’s definitely enough copper between the die and the heat pipes to help spread out the heat. The outside pipes will be less effective but likely still add some additional cooling potential.

Would be interesting to take two heat sinks that are effectively the same just one with the extra heat pipes on the outside and see what effect that actually has on cooling.

• DPete27

1) The CPU heatspreader is just the aluminum plate you see, not very effective, especially considering they’re using TIM under there now.

2) Additional heatpipes (above the 4 center ones that actually have any portion of their diameter above the heatspreader) pull heat from the copper base of the heatsink and do transfer heat into more fin area. Obviously the further heatpipes are from the heat source, the less effective they are, even with a good baseplate. I’d be interested in seeing what the effective radius of heat dissipation is on the aluminum fins from the center of each heatpipe. Pretty certain it’s not large.

3) Keep in mind there are many factors related to the effectiveness of a tower-style heatsink. Direct contact heatpipes vs baseplate, fan, fin aerodynamics, interface between the fins and the heatpipes, etc etc. You can’t just count the # of heatpipes to determine which cooler is better than another.

• Firestarter

this should be easy enough to test with a sacrificial heatsink. Just test, *snip* *snip* the outer most heatpipes and test again. It’d be most interesting especially if the testing is done with multiple orientations and maybe multiple CPUs with significantly differing configurations

• JustAnEngineer

The obvious solution is to switch to CPUs with [url=http://ark.intel.com/products/93790/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8890-v4-60M-Cache-2_20-GHz<]larger dies[/url<] instead of the puny 122 mm² Skylake-S stuff that you've been looking at.

• Firestarter

48 threads? oh my

• JustAnEngineer

$7K? Oh my!

• just brew it!

With the copper base plate you’ll still get some help from the outer heatpipes. Yes, it’s a case of diminishing returns… but I wouldn’t say they’re completely useless.

• bthylafh

I don’t understand why this product would appeal to Japanophiles.

• DPete27

What’s a Japanophile?

• bthylafh

The impolite term, I believe, is “weeaboo”.

• Philldoe

Impolite, but the correct term. Let’s just throw politeness out the window and tell it how it is. They are Weeaboos.

Probably because they name all their stuff after ninjas and shurikens and stuff.

• kmm

Yeah, pretty much. Though FWIW Scythe is a Japanese company (originating in Akihabara in Tokyo, no less) and their heatsinks and some fans have generally tested well.

The Mugen 4 was a good single-stack cooler. I’m wondering about their Kaze Flex here as many previous models just used a GlideStream. The SlipStreams that used to come with a lot of the coolers and the GlideStreams were decent as far as sleeve-bearing fans went, both with relatively good acoustic profiles.

• bhtooefr

Yeah, I didn’t buy my Kabuto II for weeaboo factor, I bought it because it was a nice big hunk o’ metal, in a top-down arrangement, that exactly lined up with my case’s side fan bracket.

• kmm

I had to look up what the Kabuto II was.

Aw, that’s no fun. One of the practical ones. It looks like a fairly standard non-slim, aftermarket downblower fitting a 120 mm fan.

I was kind of hoping you had a Susanoo or something (I remembered what it was but had to look up the name):

[url<]http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/susanoo.html[/url<]

• JMccovery

To this day, my favorite Scythe heatsink name is: Andy Samurai Master.

Still wonder where ‘Andy’ places amongst ‘Greg’ and ‘Steve’ on the “Awesomeness Meter”.

That’s the guy I had in my Phenom II X2 550 system. Unlocked the dormant cores and gave it a slight OC, and Andy kept my 3.4GHz “Phenom II X2 B50” CPU reasonably cool without a lot of noise.

• JMccovery

Crazy, man…

Had the same CPU, unlocked to quad, but OC’d to 3.8 on a fan less Mugen 2/Infinity purchased from PC Power and Cooling.

Dag, yo. Mine was an OC bum, I guess.

My wife had a Phenom II X3 720 but it wouldn’t unlock the fourth core.

• Thrashdog

Maybe they were fans of [url=http://cowboybebop.wikia.com/wiki/Andy<]Cowboy Andy[/url<] after he decided to trade in the Stetson and spurs for a kimono?

• JMccovery

As much as I love me some Cowboy Bebop, that never crossed my mind.

I need to take “How to Japan” lessons from Scythe.

• Amien

If you look at the heatpipes in a certain way, they look like tentacles 😛