Gigabyte XK700 keyboard will challenge your limits

Wake up, gerbils! It's time for your favorite: more RGB LED-equipped hardware news! Today's bit of blinky-flashy excess comes courtesy of Gigabyte and its new Xtreme Gaming XK700 mechanical keyboard. Like most new LED-infused mechanical keyboards, this specimen uses Cherry MX switches fitted in the German company's MX RGB housings. For this particular model, Gigabyte went with linear, non-clicky Red key switches.

The keycaps sit elevated from the aluminum faceplate somewhat, allowing the LEDs to illuminate both through and under the keys. Gigabyte specs this USB keyboard with the usual 1000Hz polling rate, and says it offers N-key rollover functionality.

The above specs are all fairly standard as these things come, but the XK700 has something that's not (yet) a run-of-mill feature: software-less lighting configuration. Like the Zalman ZM-K900M and Rosewill RK-9000V2 RGB keyboards that we reviewed recently, owners can configure the XK700's RGB LEDs without installing software on their PCs. Users will need to install Gigabyte's Xtreme Engine application to set up macros, though. All the settings go into the keyboard's 512KB of onboard memory, which Gigabyte says lets owners to save an "almost unlimited" number of profiles.

Gigabyte hasn't announced pricing or availability for the XK700 keyboard yet. Given the keyboard's build and feature set, we figure it's likely to ring in at a pretty penny.

• Freon

I just got a Corsair Strafe (brown keys), very impressed. Only $70 on sale and I can just turn the stupid backlight off (red only).

Actually pretty close to my CODE in quality give or take. Extra heavy base is nice, and only the spacebar uses an anti-sway bar, all others just use extra fake pins to keep them aligned when pushed down off center, which I kind of like.

• eofpi

Why aren’t there any RGB split keyboards? Why can’t I have retina-searing bling and healthy wrists?

• Kretschmer

Challenge the limits of taste, maybe.

Death to the RGB insanity!

• poisonrain

Will never buy another Gigabyte keyboard. Had an Osmium, nice keyboard, but the software support for it was terrible. It lost all macro/function key capabilities when the next version of windows came out a year later, and never got an update.

Shame really, as I had Gigabyte down as one of the better suppliers based on their mobos but this was a really poor experience.

And this thing is hideous. Perhaps their could be a gerbil competition to build the most tasteless, nausea-inducing rig?

• Prestige Worldwide

[quote<] Wake up, gerbils! It's time for your favorite: more RGB LED-equipped hardware news! [/quote<] :trollface.jpg:

• Anovoca

The market REALLY wants us to go RGB. Its alsmost like Wells Fargo has stock in LEDs

• psuedonymous

[quote<]Wake up, gerbils! It's time for your favorite: more RGB LED-equipped hardware news![/quote<]No, no! Not Das Blinkenlichten! At least, not this early in the morning.

• ronch

Gigabyte has nothing on Acer, whose slogan is “Explore Beyond Limits”, whatever that means to the limited ones among us.

Also Asus with its “heart touching” hardware tag line.

Sadly that one is no more.

[url<]http://www.zdnet.com/article/asus-is-heart-touching-no-more/[/url<]

• just brew it!

I remember the first time I booted up a motherboard that had that on the splash screen. Definitely a “WTF?!??” moment.

• Yan

The only limit this keyboard will challenge is my limit against nausea.

• GrimDanfango

My taste has limits.

Yep. As expected, Gigabyte – an Asian components vendor – is unable to release a product without both the ugliest logo in the business and an irrelevant, ultra-chintzy slogan etched into it like an embarassing tattoo obtained during a drunken blackout in Vegas.

Seriously, they were so close to classy but had to ruin it with Asian “style”.

• juzz86

Without logo and motivational speech, I’d buy it. Matches the rest of my desk gear perfectly.

• thedosbox

I believe Razer are an American company. And let’s not forget Corsair Gaming’s logo.

• Waco

I thought Corsair dropped that ugly thing?

• thedosbox

I’m waiting for the first HDR keyboard.

• Wirko

I’m waiting for TR to start measuring the color gamut of keyboards, mice, RAM, SSDs, cases, fans, everything else, and power strips. I’ve spent too many years without a proper Adobe RGB office chair, now I want to make up for all the time lost.

• RickyTick

Keep an eye on the upper left points on the scatter plot.

• Wirko

Also keep an eye on the upper left part of the CIE color diagram. Not many keyboards reach it because the manufacturers cut corners where they shouldn’t.

• Redocbew

And we already know that nothing good comes out of a chair with backlight bleed.

Will it use HDR10 or Dolby Vision? Or perhaps yet another standard?

• meerkt

Come on. There are more important features. If anything, start with response time, viewing angles, blacks…